Author Thread: Conflicting Views
Admin

Conflicting Views
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 09:04 AM

I have thought about this issue for a while. So while this post is not directed at anyone on this site, someone did write something the other day that reminded me, and so I am posting this for discussion.

What if you have two people, both are Christians, both attend church, both seek Gods will, both pray daily, both spend time in the Word daily, both earnestly lookward God for direction, for life.

Person 1, after much praying and seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit, states view X.

Person 2, after much praying and seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit, states position Not X - or the complete opposite.

Both earnestly believe they are led by the Spirit, yet come up with contradictory positions. What do you do?

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 01:19 PM

Trucker, I'll see if I can think of one and one that doesn't rehash any of my other posts. I'm not even saying I have one that I can defend real well in a debate to illustrate the point. But I do think the concept of what I was previously posting still stands.

Also I was trying to keep it a good natured conversation, that is why I came up with the "cabbie" persona. I hope you didn't take offense.

TheNewDawn

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 02:05 PM

My thoughts have been eluded to in other posts. It depends largely on the people's walk/relationship with Father. I have watched this as christians (and myself) have grown closer in relationship with God, their views generally change, not because they are wrong views, just different depths or levels of growth. The church (and I use church to lump together all Protestant denominations) has told us to seek, yet generally failed to equip one to seek God/Holy Spirt (our teacher) on our own. As one starts to seek on their own allowing the Holy Spirit to guide several different things may occur.

The colored lens one grew up with color/distort the truth. We gain these lens' in different ways, different teaching, how we perceive things, how we were raised, etc.

Many times I have discovered the definition of 'it' has more to do with the differences. I have seen conflicting views put all their words into definition and end up agreeing, once finding out their terminology was the real difference.

And a part of me wants to believe that God allows different views to get through to others that need help. Let me explain by example. I am a PK grew up in a Bible preaching church yet gained an incorrect view of God in the process. My ex-husband who also had a distorted view, his view lead me to keep searching scripture, much prayer, fasting and Bible reading. The Holy Spirit all the time was showing me the truth, yet I did not want to accept that I was wrong, or even entertain that I had been taught a wrong concept. Praise God the time came when I made a choice and took the leap of faith that maybe I had some incorrect theology. And that is when the growth started for me. And then the true relationship with Father. I am not saying all that have a different view are refusing to accept that they maybe wrong. Just a possibility at times.

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 04:38 PM

Well said, New Dawn. :glow:

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 11:11 PM

Shawn,

You have strained a gnat out of my post and ignored the camel I gave you. ???

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 27 Dec, 2010 04:50 AM

Hey Shawn:

I might have a few Scripture to look at concerning your thread.

Psa 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

This one is interesting,especially the Hebrew Word that is translated as 'DELIGHT'.

One more:

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

The Greek word that has been translated into English has an interesting 'Word Tense';which changes the English meaning from what many have been taught.

Remember:

Context

Tense of words (Past-present-future)

Greek and or Hebrew Grammar

Whether Parables,Allegories,or Figures of speech.

What language is being used

Who is Yeshua or others speaking with

Trust the Holy Spirit within you for Wisdom and Understanding.

Pro 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Share your understanding with others,let the Holy Spirit refine your understanding as one refines gold or silver.

George

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 27 Dec, 2010 10:45 AM

I like TheNewDawn's view. I think it's possible to be "wrong" about something and still be learning and being led by God into all truth. God doesn't blast everyone with "all truth" instantly as soon as we're baptized...we're supposed to be growing in and seeking after the truth. If someone messes up a bit because they're "young" in the faith or because they're human, I don't think that necessarily means they're a servant of :devil:.

:peace::peace:

marikashome

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 27 Dec, 2010 11:00 AM

Are they studying the Word, with an open mind, in addition to their prayer? Are they seeking wise counsel in coming to a decision? Is the decision necessary to salvation or a matter of preference... or even something that God might direct people differently on to prevent them, with their distinct backgrounds, from stumbling on?

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 28 Dec, 2010 07:13 PM

Sometimes you can be led by God right into the midst of a trial.

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 28 Dec, 2010 09:26 PM

I tried to stay away�but I could not.

With this response I simply want to address the thread, nothing else.

2 Peter 1:20 (New International Version, �2010)

20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet�s own interpretation of things.

God Inspired man to write Scripture and Scripture tells us that ��The Church is The Pillar and Foundation of Truth�� it does not say that ��Scripture is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth�.

To say that �the church� being spoken of in this verse is The Body of Christ does not make sense because of the very fact that we each end up with different versions of �the Truth� (as Joey points out �None of us have a corner on the truth and are subject to change daily�).

No�the only way that makes sense and �fits� this verse is

The Physical Church�the Magisterium�the Teaching Church. The Actual Place where The Full Deposit of Truth has been left by Christ.

Truth does not change�it is the same today as it was yesterday�as it will be in the future.

A point was brought up to look at Church History. That makes sense. You would think that men and women willing to die horrible deaths for what they believed�that they would make very sure that they understood what they were being told; that they would ask questions. That they would raise up such a �holler� when someone tried to Preach anything contrary to what they �Knew� to be The Truth!

These were people that were Taught by The Apostles and by those that were Taught by Disciples of The Apostles. I cannot see or believe how one or two or even a dozen men could have changed any of these Truths and have gotten away with it. Not to mention that Christ Promised that Not One Iota would be changed and that His Church would remain until His Return.

You can go back to 80 AD and read what was written (there may be earlier writings�but of this I am not certain). Some Scripture was not even written at that time.

God Knows us very well�He Knows our nature�He Knew that we would need a Shepherd to ensure that we understood His Word.

The Holy Spirit is not Schizophrenic. He does not tell one person one thing and another something entirely different. We will often �think� that we �hear� The Holy Spirit speaking to us, but in reality He is not.

I do not trust to my own interpretation. I trust the Truth that The Church has �held� on to for over 2,000 years. Two Sparrows is Incorrect in stating that I am �led� by The Catholic Church. I am led by The Truth Christ left with The Catholic Church.

I believe that what is Important and what we should look for in a fellow Christian is:

First�That Christ Died for our sins and is THE ONLY WAY to the Father!

Secondly�The Trinity. Three separate, yet One.

Thirdly�That it is through God�s Grace that we are Saved�Not by Works alone! (lest we boast!)

The Apostles Creed sums it up eloquently.

Just as in anything that we learn�there is a Process that we have to go through. We start with the basics�the �foundation� from which we will �build on�. That is why we need a Teacher�to guide us in our �process�. Discussions such as this is good because it makes us think and it exposes incorrect thinking and therefore edifies us.

My Brothers and Sisters�we are Sheep! Some of us think we are Lions or that we are Eagles. But we are truly Sheep! We need a Shepherd. We need a Teacher. Be careful when you rely on your own interpretations.

Peace Be With You

Steve

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Conflicting Views
Posted : 28 Dec, 2010 11:44 PM

The church is supposed to be the pillar and foundation that holds up the truth. The truth is the scriptures.

:peace::peace:

Page : 1 2 3