Author Thread: Fighting addiction try this...Remember faith of a mustard seed
Admin

Fighting addiction try this...Remember faith of a mustard seed
Posted : 6 Mar, 2011 08:57 PM

I know recovery is one step Jesus...But, sometimes some come to God a different way.

So, if your fighting addiction and need a little extra strength study this...try and plant these scriptures in your heart...You will have a weapon to continue to stay clean..Temptation will come but YOU and GOD can win.

WordlyThe twelve Steps (Addiction not just alcohol)

Along with scripture to keep you strong

The twelve Steps

1 �We admitted we are powerless over alcohol � that our lives had become unmanageable

( Matthew 19:26) KJV : � But Jesus beheld them, and said to them, With men this is impossible: but with God all things are possible� So with this being said we all must realize that only some things are possible for us to do by ourselves but with God all things are possible....

We first uncover our sin (Proverbs 28:13)KJV:� He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.�We also know that if we uncover our sin God can then change the things that are not of him. He created us so he knows what makes each of us happy. Only God can work that out he knows us better than we know ourselves.

So, We admit only once that we are an alcoholic because as a christian we do not claim it or confess it (Romans 10:8-10) KJV: �But what saith it? The word is nigh to thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach:

�That if thy shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and thy shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.�

�For the heart of man believeth unto righteousness: and with thy mouth confession is made unto salvation.�

Decree a thing and it shall be so as a christian we decree a thing and it shall be done.

So we decree deliverance from alcohol.

(Job 22:28) KJV: �Thou shalt also decree a thing, and it shall be established unto thee; and the light shall shine upon thy ways.�

I want to address another thing in this step which might come about. If indeed alcoholism is a disease we should say by his stripes I am healed. (I Peter 2:24)KJV:

�Who is own self bare our sins in his body on the tree,(cross)that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness : by whose stripes ye were healed�

2 �Come to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity� The greater power is God. (I John 4:4) KJV: �Ye are children of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.�So there is a greater power than ourselves, God and his power can make us strong enough to defeat all things through his power not ours. God has the power to restore us.(Psalms 23:3)KJV:�He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.� Now to what the bible says about sanity:(II Timothy 1:7) KJV: �For God hath not given us the spirit of fear: but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.�

3 �Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him.� With this step as a christian there are few scriptures I would stand on, fully understanding that sin is in the flesh. (Luke 9:23)KJV:�And he said to them all,(Jesus)If any man will come after me, and deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.� The apostle Paul say something very interesting about sin that I seem to recall. (Romans7:14-20)KJV:�Fro we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.�

�For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate that I do.�

�If then I do that which I would not, I consent under the law that is good.�

�Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin dwelleth in me.

�For I know that in me(that is , in my flesh,)dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.)

�For the good that I would I do not; but the evil which I would not, that I do.�

�Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.�

I love this because it is right on .. It encourages me.

4 �Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.�(Lamentations3:40)KJV:�Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to The Lord.�

5 �Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.�

(James 5:16)KJV: �Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.�

I would like to go a step further with this and pray to God to forgive me of my wrong doings believing that his son died for my sins to be forgiven. This goes one step further...(Colossians 3:13)KJV: �Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any; even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.� We must forgive ourselves as well.

6 �Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.� By this time as a christian we have already been shown how we must behave..However, I found my self praying for God to show me how he sees me. I asked him to make me who he created me to be. (Ephesians4:22-24)KJV:

�That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;�

�And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;�

�And that ye put on the new man, which after God created in righteousness and true holiness.�

I would add a little encouragement (Romans 8:37)KJV: �Nay, in all these things we are more than conquers through him that loved us.�

7 �Humbly asked him to remove our shortcomings�

(I Peter 5:6)KJV: �Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.�

(Matthew 18: 4-5) KJV: � Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.�

(James 4:6)

�But he giveth more grace, Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.�

8 �Made a list of all persons we have harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.�

(Proverbs 28:13)KJV: �He that covereth his sins shall not prosper;(prosper meaning in all areas of life)but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.�

I would think I have to reap what I have sown so, I would encourage praying to God for forgiveness then ask the ones I have wronged to also forgive me

(Luke 6:38)KJV: � Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.�

(Lamentations3:40)KJV:�Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the Lord.�

9 �Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.�((Matthew 6:14-15)KJV: � For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:�

� But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.�

(Romans 7:8)KJV: �Owe no man anything, but to love on another; for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.�

This may not feel comfortable all of the time but if we choose to do things that please the Lord. We will in ourselves find pleasing things as well. I believe we search as some point for the peace that only God can give us.

10 �Continue to take personal inventory and when we wrong promptly admitted to it.�

(Romans 3:23-24)KJV: �For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.�

�Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.�

Be strong God will show you many things, however he will be your strength to get through all things.

(Colossians 1:11)KJV: �Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;�

(Proverbs 3:5-6)KJV: � Trust in the Lord with all thine heart: lean not unto your own understanding:�

In thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.�

(Proverbs 20:27)KJV: � The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all inward parts of the belly.�

11 �Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry it out.�

(Joshua 1:8)KJV: �This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein:for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thy shalt have good success.�

(Proverbs 4:7)KJV: �Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.�

(Romans 8:27-28)KJV: �And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God�

�And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.�

12 �Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message and to practice these principles in all our affairs.�

( II Thessalonians 2:17)KJV: �Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.�

(Ephesians 6:8 )KJV: � Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.�

(Romans 2:10-11)KJV: �But glory, honour, and peace in every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile.�

�For there is no respect with persons with God.�

I feel that as we get to know who God truly is he lets us know of his mercy and grace upon our lives knowing without a doubt he is God.

I usually stand on scriptures that allow me to have strength. God shows us he was always there. He shows us his power so when we are weak he is not.

GODS POWER

seedplanter

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Mar, 2011 09:22 PM

This a great piece of work. It is very inspirational. Thank you for posting. God Bless.

bloodboughtchild

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Mar, 2011 11:50 PM

I love this post because people can have all kinds of addictions. I love all the scripture you posted to. I pray this helps lots of members. Thanks for the post Faith.:yay:

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Mar, 2011 11:27 PM

Thank You

I am thankful that I knew God when I was fighting addiction thats why I started to think..

What if a person like me walks into a therapist and has faith but doesnt have quite the tools needed to continue to stay clean and as time went on God showed me to write this..I was the addict that had faith but didnt know how to put it into practice for my everyday use..So, I did put it into my everyday life. I try to live everyday the way that Jesus would..I want God to say in the end oh, Good and faithful servant job well, done.

Oh, by the way the therapist I no longer have to see and she really liked this method for christians.

I wanted to write scriptures that would turly show Gods power. I also, used them I know once they are in your heart you wont stay in addiction.It will go.

lKingsprincess

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Apr, 2011 01:11 PM

Try this. Reformeres Unaminous. RU.