Author Thread: S'all backwards it is...
Admin

S'all backwards it is...
Posted : 18 Apr, 2011 04:41 PM

I've come to the conclusion that online dating (there's a joke if I ever I heard one - out of all the people I've ever spoken to I've met with maybe 3 in person!) has things all back-to-front:

In the ol' days (I guess, not old enough myself to remember them), people met face to face and before a word was spoken they'd already decided they wanted to talk to the other person. Chances are the first 'date' was very soon afterwards and little more than a rendezvous rather than an organised event, with neither party knowing much about the other except that they wanted to meet again.

Nowadays they already know so much about you before they've even said "hi" because of all the detail on your profile. Indeed, usually there's a whole host of email exchanges about hobbies, future plans, etc. before the two ever see each other face to face - assuming something said in emails, or the profile, or the photo hasn't throttled any chance of meeting in the first place!

Maybe I'm not saying it very well: I think it's great for screening out definite no's, but I also think you'd be more willing to meet up with someone again if you'd bumped into them on the street than just by reading their profile.

I'm going to put my non-money where my mouth is. I've now taken off most of the in-depth details about me and we'll see if it generates any more conversation...

View Profile
History
S'all backwards it is...
Posted : 18 Apr, 2011 05:28 PM

As I was reading your post, I was actually thinking, "Hmm...This is true. I wonder if we should rearrange our profiles to say 'If I met you on the street, I would want you to think ___________ about me."

Great post! :)

View Profile
History
S'all backwards it is...
Posted : 19 Apr, 2011 10:06 AM

Thanks, and that's not a bad idea of yours - I may try it later!

Glad to hear someone else agrees, and especially being the opposite sex.

View Profile
History
S'all backwards it is...
Posted : 19 Apr, 2011 10:35 AM

Your post makes a lotta sense dkj ! Back in the day, online dating wasn't an issue. Walking 10 miles to see your sweetey was! lol

Tulip89

View Profile
History
S'all backwards it is...
Posted : 19 Apr, 2011 08:56 PM

Considering the rapid growth of online dating, maybe there's something to this new way of doing things...