Author Thread
Ohiograce^

View Profile
Two words which pertain to most of this life, if not all of this life.
Posted : 23 May, 2022 06:44 PM

When we were lost, we didn't want Christ. We didn't even know we needed Him. Romans 3:11 we didn't even seek Him. It was all foolishness to us, 1 corinthians 1:18. The god of this age had blinded our minds, 2 corinthians 4:4. When we were lost we hated one another, titus 3:3. The only things we wanted or needed before God saved us was to do the desires of our flesh and mind, ephesians 2:3.

But God being abundant in mercy, because of His much love with which He loved us, He made us alive together with Christ while we were dead in trespasses, by grace you have been saved, ephesians 2:4-5

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Marriage and I Corinthians 7:1-
Posted : 15 May, 2022 01:22 PM

I Corinthians 7:6-7

But I am saying this based on concession(allowance) and not based on commandment. Because I desire all to be as also myself. But each person has their own gift from God. One person has this gift and another has that gift. And I am saying to the unmarried and to widows, it is good if they remain as I am.

Paul is basically saying, "I don't have a command from God on this issue." He says basically the same thing in 7:12, 25. Verse 6 could refer to the previous verse(s) or to the following verse(s). In verses 1-5 he says because of the temptations to this sin, each person should get married. In verses 7-8 he recommends the single life. But sandwiched between verses 7 and 8 he says, each person has their own(their specific) gift from God. One person is gifted this way, another person is gifted another way.

7:9

And if they cannot exercise self control, they should marry. For it is better to marry than to burn.

Paul recognizes that some are tempted more in this way than others. He is restating what he said in 7:1-2. It is better to marry than to burn with desire. In verse 10 he speaks with a command from the Lord.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Ramadan Muslims celebrate
Posted : 11 May, 2022 03:19 PM

No, to them, Jesus Christ is just a prophet. They don't believe that he died on the cross so he also didn't rise from the dead.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Jesus Coming Back
Posted : 11 May, 2022 05:06 AM

KJV,

Would you say that there is to be no more resurrection? Are you a full preterist? does that mean that time will continue as it is here on earth? Does that mean when we die, we are just dead? Is this really heaven? Doesn't that mean that this is all there is? Is this eternity for you/

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Posted : 8 May, 2022 04:55 PM

7:5 do not deprive one another, unless, it may be, by consent for a time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again, so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 

Paul tells the husband and wife not to defraud or deprive one another with regard to intimacy. If they do, there are limitations. It is by agreement between both spouses. This is the word for symphony. There must be harmony between both husband and wife on this issue. It is only for a limited time. It is also to be for spiritual reasons. Otherwise, Satan will use it as an occasion to tempt the husband and wife. This comes about because of a lack of self-control for both spouses.

There is a sense, of course, that believers can exercise self-control as we depend on the Holy Spirit. But Paul acknowledges in the next verses that not everyone is gifted for the single life.

I Cor. 11:11 however, neither is the man without the woman nor the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For just as the woman is out of the man, in the same way also the man is through the woman; but all things are out of God.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Posted : 7 May, 2022 03:02 PM

7:2 but on account of fornication, each man must have his own wife, and each woman must have her own husband. 

So, Paul indicates that because of the temptation to immorality, each person should get married.

7:3 the husband must give to the wife the benevolence that is owed, and likewise the wife must do to the husband.

The word "give" could be seen as "give back/pay back." Since the word "owed" is used, that would be consistent. The husband owes something to his wife and the wife owes something to her husband. In the context, the thing owed is the intimacy that exists between husband and wife.

7:4 The wife does not have power over her own body, but the husband does; likewise, also the husband does not have power over his own body, but the wife does.

In light of the temptation to immorality, each spouse gives to the other that which is owed. Verse 4 is a strong statement. Each spouse has power over the other spouse in this most intimate connection.

This is a revolutionary concept in the culture of the time. The husband is as much owned by his wife in the relationship as she is owned by him.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Posted : 6 May, 2022 02:04 PM

I Cor. 7:1 And concerning the things which you wrote to me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. 

The first verse follows naturally off the preceding discussion about the particular immorality among the Corinthians. Since their letter to Paul mentioned their issues with these specific sins, he responds to them. The statement "it is good for a man not to touch a woman" is probably better understood as the belief of the Corinthians. This doesn't mean shaking hands with a woman or other such touching. It means grabbing, attaching oneself to a woman. It's used for lighting fires. Some of the newer translations are clearer in stating that "it is good for a man not to have intimate relations with a woman."

Evidently some were teaching the superiority of the single life in such a way that they applied it to those who were married. Some men and some women were refusing to engage in intimate relations with their spouses. So, Paul goes on to address this.

I should say, as well, that this passage also addresses the belief of some who teach that intimate relations in marriage are only for procreation. There is a teaching that has been around for some 1800 years that intimacy was given by God only for reproduction. It was taught by some Christians that long ago. Their belief is that it is a sinful desire, but God allowed it to populate the world. Since this is a Christian website, and this is a Bible passage, and we are adults, it is important.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Angels
Posted : 4 May, 2022 11:38 AM

Hebrews 2:2 For if the message spoken through angels was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward

This refers to the Law that was given to Israel through Moses. The author of Hebrews has just shown that Christ is superior to angels. In verse 3 he contrasts the message spoken through angels with the message spoken through Christ.

Galatians 3:19 why then the law? It was added because of transgressions (till the seed should come to whom the promise was made) and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. 

In this section Paul is contrasting the promise and the Law. Verses 3:10-13 show that there is a curse associated with the Law. The Law is not out of or from the source of faith. Why did God give the Law then? Paul writes in Romans 5:20

that the Law entered that the offense might abound. And he writes in Galatians 3:19 that it was "till the seed should come." So, the Law was only temporary.

Colossians 2:18 no one must deprive you of your prize, doing his own will in humility and religion of angels, entering into things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by the mind of his flesh

The context of this verse includes circumcision and food and drink. It includes holy days, the new moons and the sabbaths (2:11-16). The religion of angels does not mean that people were worshipping angels. It means that the Law keepers were trying to impose the Law on the Colossians.

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than that which we have preached to you, he must be cursed. 

Christians are still hard at work trying to impose the Law on other Christians.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
3️⃣ omnis of God and how they relate to his sovereignty
Posted : 19 Apr, 2022 07:16 PM

Psalm 115:3

But our God is in the heavens; he has done whatever he pleased.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Mass in lung
Posted : 14 Apr, 2022 03:39 PM

One of the ladies in the assembly went in for back surgery. In her pre-op tests, they found a mass in her lung and her blood counts are terrible. Her name is Doris.

Page : 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13