Author Thread
Ohiograce^

View Profile
Christians do not Practice sin
Posted : 20 Jul, 2022 10:00 AM

Are there Christians who say that? I have never read anything like that.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Christ died for our sins
Posted : 18 Jul, 2022 12:29 PM

One of the reasons Christians fail to understand things in the Scriptures is this. They act like the Bible is a one pot meal. They put all the ingredients in one pot and cook it. These believers, not knowing any better and following the example of others, come to the Scripture and treat it the same way. Maybe the figure of a blender is better. At least in a one pot meal most items still have their own shape and texture. In a blender everything loses it's distinctiveness. That is truly how many Christians treat the Bible. It is as though every verse should mean what every other verse says. Everything has to taste the same. Believer, are you exercising your spiritual taste buds?

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Christ died for our sins
Posted : 17 Jul, 2022 01:52 PM

Since the temple, the priesthood and the sacrifices are done away with, the whole law is done away with. Read hebrews 7:11-12, 18-19. Water rituals were part of the law (hebrews 9:10.) John the baptizer came with a water ceremony for israel (john 1:31). The writer of hebrews tells those jewish hearers to leave jerusalem and the temple and all it represents behind. They are to go outside the camp to where the bodies of the sacrifices were burned. That place is considered ceremonially unclean. But yet that is where Christ died. So we too must go there, outside the gates, and bear the disgrace and reviling that he suffered(hebrews 13:11-13).

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Christ died for our sins
Posted : 16 Jul, 2022 03:07 PM

Christians don't agree on what that means. Some Christians believe that Christ only died for the sins we committed before we got saved. Of course, in spite of the passages that refer to salvation in the past tense(ephesians 2:8, 2 timothy 1:9, etc.), some churches deny that salvation has occurred. They teach that there is no assurance, that you can only hope that you will be saved.

The letter to the hebrews presents a contrast between the many sacrifices done in the temple with the one sacrifice of Christ. If Christ offered himself as the priests or highpriests, he would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world. But now once, at the end of the ages, he has appeared to put away sin by his sacrifice(hebrews 9:25-26). In those sacrifices in the temple there is a remembrance of sins every year(10:3).

By which "will"(or plan, see 10:5-9) we have been set apart(sanctified, made holy) through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all(10:10). And every priest has stood daily serving and offering the same sacrifices often, which are not ever able to take away sins. But he himself, having offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at God's right side(10:11-12).

If a Christian or a church teaches loss of salvation, they are placing themselves under the same kind of works program done in the temple. If they say that Christ died only for the sins we committed before we believed in Christ, they are saying that we have to do something to pay for those sins. Some churches are more blatant in this teaching. Others gloss it over. But that is the doctrine that they are teaching. It is totally contrary to what Hebrews teaches. They cannot sing "He paid it all." Because they don't believe He did.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Biblical meaning of sex before marriage
Posted : 15 Jul, 2022 01:16 PM

Amen

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Are there different levels of Heaven?
Posted : 14 Jul, 2022 07:35 AM

Teddy,

What does Paul mean when he says they will suffer loss, but yet they will be saved? Would you call their wrong deeds, not evil deeds but, "shallow" activities? How does that fit with Paul's description of their divisiveness? How bad is it that they live like men, according to human standards? What does it mean when he says they are fleshly/carnal?

The judgement seat of Christ will be a time of reward for obedient believers. It will be a time of loss for disobedient believers. But they will be saved. That is what the passage says, isn't it?

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Are there different levels of Heaven?
Posted : 12 Jul, 2022 01:55 PM

Certainly there are different rewards. But I am troubled by the author's silence about sin in the believer's life. The writer said, "these are not evil deeds but shallow activities."

Colossians 3:25 says that the one who does wrong, who is unjust or hurts and injures, will receive what he did wrong and there is no partially. It sounds like t i t for tat or quid pro quo, if you prefer.

Ephesians 6:8 presents it on the positive side. "Knowing that whatever each one does good, this he will receive from the Lord, whether slave or free." Again, there will be no discrimination in God's judgement.

And the context of 1 corinthians 3 does not reprove "shallow activities." The corinthians are carnal and fleshly. He could not speak to them as spiritual ones but as babies. Verse 3 says they walk and live according to human standards. It is so serious that he says they will suffer loss. But he assures them they will be saved, yet through fire.

If believers are only guilty of "shallow activities," then Paul and the other writers of the letters to believers wasted precious time telling them and us to put to death our sinful deeds(colossians 3:5).

We will receive wrong for the wrong we do, we will receive right for the right we do. But we will be saved, even when we suffer loss.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
Strength in weakness
Posted : 8 Jul, 2022 06:36 PM

9 And he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my weaknesses, that the strength of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in weaknesses, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Strength/power and weakness/ infirmity are a major contrast in the last two chapters of 2 Corinthians. In this section Paul tells how he was given a thorn in the flesh so that he wouldn't exalt himself and become arrogant. Paul recognized there was a danger of that happening because of the visions and revelations he was receiving. Paul did pray over the course of three separate occasions that God would remove it from him. God's answer was " my grace is sufficient for you." God's power is perfected/accomplished in weakness. Paul's response is that he would gladly boast and rejoice in his weaknesses so that Christ's strength would dwell upon him. Paul says, "when I am weak, then I am strong."

If we think we are strong, that is the time we are at our weakest. If there is a time or circumstance that we think we can handle, that's when we are at our lowest. Paul knew that his visions and revelations could be a source of pride and glory. God humbled Paul by giving him a thorn in the flesh so he would rely on God's grace.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
The spirit of the Taskmasters
Posted : 10 Jun, 2022 01:57 PM

We all have our interpretations and opinions. May we all submit our minds and hearts to God so that our opinions and interpretations are conformed to Him.

Ohiograce^

View Profile
The spirit of the Taskmasters
Posted : 10 Jun, 2022 12:43 PM

That characteristic is not specific to Jews. That has been the nature of the human race ever since genesis 3. Read first samuel 8:10-18. Authority, power and control are a manifestation of the Sin nature. Christ said to the disciples, you know that the rulers of the nations/gentiles dominate and oppress them, and the great control and rule them. So in whatever realm, politics or finance, etc., the goal of sinners is to get what they want, when they want it, anyway they can get it. We should remember and be thankful, but for the grace of God, we would still be like that. It isn't a Jewish issue, it's the fact that you and I and everyone else is contaminated by sin. "For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, deceived, acting as slaves to various desires and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another, but when the kindness and love of God our savior appeared...he saved us(titus 3:3-5).

Page : 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11