Author Thread: Should a Christian say "Good Luck"?
Admin

Should a Christian say "Good Luck"?
Posted : 2 Jan, 2011 06:02 PM

Should as Christians be saying ~

'Good Luck'

or

'God Bless'

or

'God Willing'?

or

'God Be with You'

or

What?

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jan, 2011 06:12 PM

The only one I don't say is Good luck. I see nothing wrong in saying the others. If someone wishes me Good luck, it's not a big deal to me -----it's just never been part of my vocabulary.

chevy

Mercymay

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jan, 2011 07:26 PM

Reading this post and the other longer one, I come to realize it is better to say God bless, God willing, or God be with you, although I still think nothing is wrong with good luck as it is not wishing ill.

I relate the good luck thing with wishing positive things to happen. Like I think it bad luck for Job to be chosen to be tested by the devil with God�s consent. Good luck for Jabez God granted his wishes as not everybody gets what they wished. Not everybody wins the lottery so there must be lucky ones whom God bestowed his overflowing favor and as to why, I don�t know.

Personally I feel lucky to be born as I am realizing there are circumstances that I think unlucky. I feel lucky to be born as Filipina, to be born with average looks, average mental ability, average capacity, average etc. It must be hard to be born extraordinary. After reading Uncle Tom�s Cabin, Black Boy & Native Son, I wonder what if a white person is born black, or a black person born white, say fate or destiny or luck changed?

In saying the above, I think in life I believe in good luck but from now on prefer to say and hear God bless, God willing, and God be with you.

MargoSolo

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jan, 2011 08:03 PM

God Bless

God Willing

God be with you

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Jan, 2011 12:11 AM

It depends on who I'm talking to~I say "peace in" to some people cause they understand my hippie style and peace should be in and not out. :rolleyes: :peace:

I say "God Speed" to others cause it's something they need and I often say "God Bless" too.

To my enemies? ( I have none! psych~) I do what the bible says~bless them. It's not real heart-felt either at times but who am I to argue that with God? :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Jan, 2011 02:53 PM

Good psot 2sparrow...

Throughout the Bible, and in Paul's teachings, we are taught that we should say God's speed, or say, if God is willing, or say, God's blessings, etc.

And when I hear a Christian say to me "good luck", I always ask them why do they tell me good luck? I don't need luck I need God's blessings and favor.

I realize that its a worldly habit and phrase that Christians have not overcome, when giving out blessings to others, or wishing others well. But we , as Christians are to always give out God's blessings upon each other, because God does not deal in luck but in blessings. Only the devil offers luck, because luck is temporary.

What's good about luck? Luck runs out... but blessings are forever.

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Jan, 2011 05:59 PM

I have said and sometimes still say "Good luck". I don't believe in luck --- it is just a habit to say that.

I have a friend who always says "God willing", which I picked up from being around her. "God willing, I'll see you next Sunday", etc. It helps to remind me that God does not promise me tomorrow, and any plans I think about or say should be based soley on God's plan and will for me.

marikashome

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Jan, 2011 06:32 AM

Godslamb, same here. "Good luck" is a figure of speech, not a statement of belief. Besides, it's faster to say than "I wish you the best".

"God bless," "God willing," and etc: depends on who I'm with, the social context, and if I really believe or mean what I'm saying.