Careers at Forbes

Tips

Corrections

Privacy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Terms

AdChoices

Reprints & Permissions

© 2022 Forbes Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Subscribe

Sign In

BREAKING

BUSINESS

Buckingham Palace Aide Steps Down Over Alleged Racist remark

Nov 30, 2022,11:23am EST

TOPLINE A longtime lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth II and aide to the royal family has stepped down over alleged comments she made to a Black woman visiting Buckingham Palace that went viral on social media.

KEY FACTS

Ngozi Fulani, CEO of the non-profit Sistah Space, claimed on Twitter that while attending the Violence Against Women and Girls reception at Buckingham Palace Tuesday she was repeatedly pressed by a “Lady SH” about where she was “really from.”

She apparently referred to Susan Hussey, a former lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth II, who apparently has now stepped down, according to a statement from Buckingham Palace.

Buckingham Palace has reached out to Fulani and has invited her to discuss her conversation with Hussey “if she wishes,” according to the statement, adding Hussey “would like to express her profound apologies for the hurt caused.”

Hussey served in her position as lady-in-waiting for more than 60 years prior to Queen Elizabeth’s death, according to The Independent, before moving into a supportive role for the royal family.

CRUCIAL QUOTE

“There was nobody to report it to,” Fulani tweeted. “I couldn’t report it to the Queen Consort (Camilla), plus it was such a shock to me and the two other women that we were stunned into temporary silence. I just stood at the edge of the room, smiled and engaged briefly with who spoke to me until I could leave.”

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

Hussey’s decision to step away precedes a visit by Prince William and Kate Middleton to Boston Wednesday, the pair’s first trip to the U.S. since 2014. They will reportedly attend the award ceremony for the Earthshot Prize, an initiative founded by Prince William to honor possible solutions to environmental issues.

KEY BACKGROUND

Hussey, 83, was known for her long-standing relationship with Queen Elizabeth II and previously served as personal aides to Princess Diana and Meghan Markle. The former lady-in-waiting was one of more than 300 people to attend the Violence Against Women and Girls reception at Buckingham Palace Tuesday, hosted by Queen Consort Camilla. Hussey most recently faced allegations for comments she made suggesting Markle and Prince Harry’s marriage would “all end in tears.”

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Alleged Racist remark / Buckingham Palace
Posted : 30 Nov, 2022 04:05 PM

Oops

Copied all the menu in Error

:⁠-⁠)

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Nov, 2022 04:44 PM

After seeing the interview (and the text from that alleged offense), I could not figure out what was so racist about the questions.

Maybe because based on various personal, news and media videos about certain African countries, I had been under the impression that most tribes in Africa take great pride in their heritage, and instead of getting angry when asked about it, thy are happy to share it with the world.

I guess you never know when inquiring about someone's background is offensive.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2022 04:45 AM

I don't keep up with the Royals ut was on our world news channel yesterday.

So I looked it up on Internet.

Fyi

She kept asking the woman, where are you Really from !

She thought the black women was from Africa.

That she wasn't really British. because she was Black.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2022 04:46 AM

I think there are black people born in many countries other than Africa!

:⁠-⁠)

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2022 04:52 AM

Yes I did read the dialogue.

This lady in question did have an African name, so I am not surprised that the assumption was made she was from Africa.

That is what I meant: in the UK and some other countries it is considered racist to ask where someone is from (their ethnic origin), while in Africa and many other places it is OK to be interested to know someone's tribe.

Especially in Africa, people are very curious to know. (Yes I have been there a few times...)

If someone declines telling where their tribe is from, of course it is their right.. but I do consider that odd.

A Uni teacher I know is half African. he's a wonderful person, very kind and sociable - and he usually tells right away, without anyone having to ask, where his parents are from...

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2022 05:38 AM

I had a professional Africa man ask me to marry him

I declined because he was very fugal, and had a professional job with good income.

He must have been raised poor in Africa.

I spend money and never want Any stringy men !!

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2022 05:41 AM

"FRUGAL"

correction :⁠-⁠)

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2022 09:31 AM

Well, economically savvy is good.. but extremely stringy is not..

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2022 11:22 AM

" Stingy"

No I never want any stingy man .

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2022 11:34 AM

Racism will be on earth til the end of time!

And Jesus rules the new heaven and earth !

Mankind has many flaws. Only Christ changes hearts!

Governments and no laws can change Racist people.