Author Thread: I don't know what to do....?
stormcountry33

View Profile
History
I don't know what to do....?
Posted : 28 Feb, 2010 11:50 AM

My sister who lives 16 hours away works with this young woman my age and over the last 6mths (I guess) she has been nonchalantly bringing me up in conversation to this woman. My understanding is that the woman has just been brushing it off because my sister is just mentioning me in a light manner. Anyway, my sister seems set on setting us up together and she got permission from this woman to give me her phone number so that I can at least text her. I don't think this woman even knows what I look like but she has mentioned that she is ready to start dating again with the hope of moving into a serious relationship and possibly marriage in the next couple of years. My sister really seems set on her idea and while I'm sure this woman is a nice person, we don't even really know anything about each other except from my sister has communicated to each of us and on top of that there is the 16 hours of distance. I'll be honest, another fear I have is that she is only in the States on a work visa, I don't want to get into a relationship where there might be a pressure to get married because of a citizenship instead of love and commitment. Any thoughts guys??? I know you'll have great advice. :goofball:

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Feb, 2010 12:39 PM

Whew. Well, this woman is quite likely expecting some kind of contact from you, since she gave out her phone number. So you must at least contact her.

I would not recommend a text message. I would recommend a friendly, polite, gentlemanly phone call in which you tell her you are calling because your sister gave you her phone number. Make it clear (remember friendly, polite, etc.) that you are calling to say hello and then ask her a few questions just to have a conversation. Questions about the weather, her church, your jobs, pets, etc. etc. are al acceptable. If you get her voicemail, by all means leave a friendly, polite message thanking her for her number, wish her well and God bless...... etc.

You don't know what (if anything) may come of this, so I would not pass it up. But you are under no obligation to take it any further than the initial phone call. You are just doing what your sister told you, like a good brother, after all. :laugh: My .2 cents for 'ya.

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Feb, 2010 04:06 PM

Thank you for your "2 cents", haha! I have however already text her, mainly because I'm not one to talk on the phone and also because her and my sister mentioned me texting her to start it off. I'm still not sure how to handle the over all situation...Thanks again for your response!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Feb, 2010 06:52 PM

Honestly, I'd respectfully and politely decline.

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Feb, 2010 08:06 PM

dear storm,, aww have a little sense of adventure...

youll never know anything less you use that number.. why not give it a shot.. sounds kinda romantic to me..

ole cattle

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Mar, 2010 01:59 PM

Cattle I didn't know you were such a romantic,haha!!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Mar, 2010 04:50 PM

Hey Storm!!

Ok, so you've texted her...what'd you say, what'd she say? Did she say anything? Was there a conversation?

You've gotta fill us in, buddy!! Haha!!

And hey, if it doesn't work out on a romantic level, y'all could become friends and you'd have another girl friend to get a female perspective from!! It's a win-win!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Mar, 2010 06:17 PM

dear storm, lol shhh please dont tell nobody hehe

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Mar, 2010 09:32 PM

Cattle!!!

Your secrets OUT, my friend!!!!

Hehe,

T

PEM4

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Mar, 2010 07:52 AM

Go for it. Call her and disregard the fact that you have already text her. Be honest and the others have suggested. Just step out of your comfort zone and use this opportunity to over come that side of you that does not like to talk on the phone. seek to talk to her and ensure there a closure (going no where), then move on. By doing that you have accomplish a few things 1. you made yourself talk to a blind date...lol. 2. your sister will be happy and she probably find you a couple more ladies...lol 3.you will be more optimistic and will have lots of friends...

God bless you.. ( " every opportunity is a road that could lead to success and happiness" ).

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Mar, 2010 01:52 PM

T,

Not much has happened...I just basically sent here a text telling her who I was, my name. She replied later that it was nice to meet. That was pretty much it. I replied to that, but what I said was minor...she had also explained why it took so long to respond and my last response was basically that it wasn't a big deal and I understood that she couldn't have replied sooner. She never responded and I went to bed!!! Getting up at 3 in the morning doesn't allow for late night texting,haha!! Told you..not much happened!!

Page : 1 2