Admin

alcohol?
Posted : 26 May, 2010 03:26 AM

Should Christians drink?

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 26 May, 2010 05:45 AM

Please use a biblical reference when you reply. I�m not looking to start a fight just curious.

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 26 May, 2010 11:30 AM

..... an jesus took the cup with whine and gave it to his deciples ..... should they drink it ?

jesus was using whine so we should not say absolutly no alcohol for christians --- what we say for ourselfs thats our point as saint paul says u are free to use everything but not everything is usefull :-)

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 27 May, 2010 07:35 AM

I know you said to use scripture but I'll admit I'm not taking the time...sorry, haha! I don't think it is wrong for Christians to drink but I do feel that it is wrong to get drunk. I say this because you are letting a substance control you. Just my thoughts.

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 27 May, 2010 09:56 PM

To help Stormcountry out, here are some verses to look up: (read "around" these verses... not just the one verse I list, but the surrounding verses as well)

These warn against "drunkenness"

Romans 13:13

1 Peter 4:3

1 Timothy 3:3 (this talks about being an overseer or leader, but I think it applies to ALL of us)

When you look at these verses, you see that we shouldn't be given over to "too much wine". As Viennawalter pointed out, Jesus passed wine to his disciples to drink. So... is drinking bad? I don't think so. Is getting drunk bad? Yep.

One final note... I like the reference to 1 Corinthians 6:12, Vienna. I think that's an excellent way to look at it. That reminds me of a verse that I was reading just earlier... in 1 Corinthians, as a matter of fact... chapter 8 verses 9-13. It refers to food sacrificed to idols, but I believe you can fit many other things into this passage, such as alcohol.

In Christ

Garrett

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 28 May, 2010 06:46 AM

Yep, I agree...but I still have to point out....the bible says that priests and kings and Nazirites should abstain from fermented wine, and Jesus was all of those things. I would bet money that since the bread was unleavened as a symbol of sinlessness...that the wine was unfermented for the same reason. New wine. Not saying drinking is wrong...just saying that I really really doubt that Jesus drank alcoholic wine.:toomuch:

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 28 May, 2010 01:35 PM

Very good point.

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 28 May, 2010 02:14 PM

Pauldid write that a little wine for the stomach was good. some haveguessed he may have had some stomach problems. also, the water in some countries is unfit to drink. This is why they drink wine at their meals.Dennis

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 29 May, 2010 01:20 PM

I think it is a personal choice - we should all know our weaknesses. If we have a problem with drinking responsibly, then we should not. The Bible says in Ephesians "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess . . . ."

Paul said to not get drunk, but he did not say to totally abstain from wine. "Let your moderation be known unto all men" (Philippians 4:5).

Some Christians believe that the Bible talks about wine meaning grape juice. I think the Bible always refers to wine being the alcoholic type (not grape juice) or it would have said "grape juice".

It talks about Noah and Lot getting drunk in Genesis.

In the NT- the wine that Jesus made from water was called "Good wine" compared to the other wine present at the wedding. This would have to be real wine, not juice.

Eph. 5:18 says "Be not drunk with wine" - can't get drunk on grape juice.

The Bible never says that you have to drink wine either. I believe it is a personal choice and people should respect, not judge other people for their choice.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 29 May, 2010 04:37 PM

Well...they also had no way to preserve anything back then...so maybe the "good wine" was the fresh un-rotted wine...

:peace::peace:

nepb47

View Profile
History
alcohol?
Posted : 30 May, 2010 11:57 PM

Paul did say to drink wine for your stomach.

They used to put herbs in wine. Myrrh mixed with wine is a mild pain killer, that might have been why Jesus didn't take any that was offered to him when He was on the cross.

Maybe something like that was what was Paul was referring to??

NEPB

Page : 1 2