Author Thread: Conviction or convenience...
Admin

Conviction or convenience...
Posted : 4 Aug, 2010 07:35 AM

I freely accept that my personality and being is one that is a little more out there and in your face. This does not mean that I am disrespectful or tactless (at least not intentionally) but rather, disagreements and discord don't frighten me. The secular word is bold and in your face, setting the standards for most people and blatantly displaying Christians as milquetoast, jelly-spined, weak-kneed, shadow-fearing scaredy-cats (is that how you spell that????). I see many Christians that express a profound and intelligent love for God when with other Christians, but outside of that, they're as quiet as seven mute church mice. So here it is....

Do you believe that we as Christians have an inherent responsibility to live and speak in a manner that expresses our conviction to God or, is it acceptable to remain silent and choose to avoid the discomfort of possible ridicule?

I'll start first. Me, I speak. I'm a lovingly articulate, in your face kinda fella. Doesn't mean that I have all the answers, nor do I know the bible inside and out. What I do know is that the life I have lived would not be here were it not for Christ and love and sacrifice for me. And by His might, when the chance arises, I'm opening my yap and couldn't give two copper trinkets of others think me too "bold" or "outrageous" - which I find interesting since the boldness is really only about sharing what Christ has done in my life...

Thoughts??

TheSeekingOneSings

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Aug, 2010 07:58 AM

If we DONT open our yap, I believe we miss a most amazing opportunity to participate in GOD'S plan where the rubber meets the road!

We don't always have to be preaching either. We are to be EXAMPLES of His love to this world - sincere, TRUE, living examples! We were just discussing this at a prayer meeting last night.

If we are to influence others, we must be involved in their lives! We can't just holler from the sidelines, "Jesus loves you." He tells us to BE BOLD and courageous. The balance is that He also said to LOVE OTHERS as you love yourself!

We are also to be separate - meaning IN the world, not OF the world! We should LOOK different! We should stand out - not by being freaks, but by BEING what Christ taught us to be. I could say more, but I think the point is made.

Though silence CAN be golden and MIGHT even be what is necessary, we are to SHARE our faith in Christ-like fashion with others.

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Aug, 2010 09:05 AM

@TheSeekingOneSings - As I have grown into the man I am today, I realize that there are different messengers with different ways of sharing. Me, I'm the one that ain't scurred of confrontation. I don't mean getting into arguments and empty discussions. I also know that there are those that respond to a much, much softer and gentler nature than mine. But as you mentioned, and I wholeheartedly agree, we Christians are called and required to "SHARE our faith in Christ-like fashion with others." Good points, by the way!

I truly believe that each of us, given who we are, with the gifts and talents, strengths AND weaknesses, have a blood-supported requirement to be the lights that we have been called to be. Even if it's a wee uncomfortable at that moment in time.

Note - this all takes into consideration that we are sensitive and obedient to the Spirit. Otherwise, we're doing what "we" think oughta be done. ;)

springrose10

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Aug, 2010 03:08 PM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Aug, 2010 06:18 PM

YES! Live it out and speak up. But all in love.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Aug, 2010 08:20 AM

@springrose10 - Many don't seem to appreciate the breadth of that statement.

@pixy - Always in love, truly!

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Aug, 2010 06:42 PM

So very well said Seeking One Sings.

What part does our personality play in our witness? I'm not a, quick on my feet thinke,r so I tend to avoid lots of speaking out BUT I'm a behind the scenes kinda worker so I am a zealous supporter of the speaker outer.

That being said though, I do agree that my life should speak of Jesus all the time too.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Aug, 2010 04:21 PM

CJ, I have the same personality as you. People tend to love me or dislike me. I use my discernment and the Holy Spirit's leading to minister. I'm flexible as needed. I can pull back and become gentle. I will never be accused of being silent. The bottom line is people have to be able to receive what's being presented to them. Spectators who may have a problem with how we present ourselves are a non-issue.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Aug, 2010 04:29 PM

Also, if you are living a Godly, Word driven life, it will speak volumes in stark contrast against the lifestyles of the world. Your life should speak louder than your words.

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Aug, 2010 05:37 PM

Do you want to be a lion or a lamb in your conviction?

I think it comes right down to personality types. Some of us are equipped by God to "do battle", if you will, with our peers. Others are more suited to wait for an opportunity to show love to our fellow men.

I don't condone anyone being completely silent, yet on the opposite end of the spectrum I pray for those misguided fools at Westboro Baptist Church. However, I believe in happy medium(s) to the extremes.

My personality is suited more opportunistically. I'm not going to whip out a soap box on a street corner and start reading the Word aloud. I applaud the confidence of those that can do so, but that's just not me. My method is to wait for someone to make an offhand comment about Christians or Christianity or how our theology is wrong or how our way of life is misguided and I take it as a "teaching opportunity" to let them know how misinformed they are.

- Rodey

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Aug, 2010 07:35 AM

Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.--I don't think Paul, John the Baptist, Isaiah or Jeremiah gave much of a rip what the world thought of them. Perhaps we should follow suit.

Many think Jesus was some sort of a wimpy, hippy preacher/teacher. In fact, the people mistook Him for some of the hardest hitting preachers in the Bible.

Mt 16:13-16 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.