Author Thread: Booze
Admin

Booze
Posted : 21 Sep, 2010 09:30 AM

I, as one who was delivered from the devastating effects of alcohol 5.5 years ago, can't for the life of me understand how professing Christians can think this devilish concoction is ok for their consumption.

Their favourite passage from what I can tell is the one saying Jesus turned water into wine. NOWHERE does it say it was fermented, alcoholic wine. You have to make it say that you fit your theology.

In the Bible God warns against partaking of fermented wine.

Pr 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Isa 5:11, 22 Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them! Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink

Isa 28:7 But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

Pr 23:29-35 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

God said not to even look at it when it's fermenting, much less drink it. It perverts your judgment.

You know what happened to Noah when he drank it. Not good.

You can be the most beautiful woman physically, but if you're down w/ drinking hooch, I find you unattractive and unappealing from that point on.

An people wonder why the u.s. is in the flusher. It's because the standards have been set to include the lowest common denominator. God's commands separation. God doesnt' have a big tent where everyone gets in. Christianity is the most exclusive, divisive religion in history.

If anyone disagrees, it's not w/ me but w/ the Book.

I would like to hear why drinking alcoholic beverages is ok for Christians.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 21 Sep, 2010 10:25 AM

It's about as bad as eating cake, etc. Food can be pretty addicting and can be very abused. Temperance in all things. I don't drink, but do I eat cake. Just know your limits and don't abuse it. Gluttony and drunkenness are not good.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 21 Sep, 2010 12:31 PM

Did you read the verses I gave or skim over them? God said don't do it. Modern american Christianity says it's ok. Who's right in this matter?

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 21 Sep, 2010 03:29 PM

God says "don't get drunk". Not "don't drink".

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 21 Sep, 2010 07:40 PM

He said don't even look at fermenting wine. He said it'll mock you and you're not wise if you partake. This isn't the gospel according to R.W. I just quoted what He said. I suggest you stop listening to Billy Graham and reading the niv lest you fall further into false doctrines. I'm telling you this as a friend.

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 22 Sep, 2010 04:10 PM

Wow, i do not drink. I do not smoke, I do not cuss Why do you only talk about booze????

For you it is the bottle that was your handicap.

Before I got saved it was reincarnation.

Just passing thoughts.oh, for your information in certain parts of europe the water is so bad they drink wine to have a refreshment.

What of Paul's and his statement, Wine is good for the stomach???

even doctors before modern medicene told people with seizures to drink wine. The anti-seizure medicene I take does the same thing as booze.It slows me down.

Some churches use real wine as communion, hmmmmm

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 22 Sep, 2010 05:34 PM

I headed a twelve step program for a couple of years and this was a very common subject that we discussed from time to time. I have come to believe that when the Bible talks about wine it is definitely talking about fermented wine and not juice. I think the point is that we are not to drink to the point that we cannot make sound decisions nor are we to become dependent on wine or strong drink in the way that an alcoholic would depend on it. I believe we can apply the same principle to anything that causes our judgment to be clouded whether it is alcohol, drugs, sex, or whatever we allow to control our thinking as long as it is not the Holy Spirit. Obsessions and addictions will always keep us from making sound, rational judgments.

It is easier for someone who has struggled with addiction and is in the process of overcoming it to be zealous about not doing it and it is common for them to justify their beliefs even if there is little ground for their them. I think it is fantastic that Slinger is recovering and dealing with the disease of alcoholism and that he has the views he has. The Christians around him must be sensitive to his beliefs and not do anything to cause him to stumble.

Congrats Slinger. I think you are doing a great thing for yourself and those close to you. Blessings on your journey.

Thunder

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 22 Sep, 2010 08:44 PM

Again, you have to make that statement mean alcoholic wine. God told you His thoughts on fermented wine already but you refuse to hearken. You should fit your theology to the Book and not make the Book fit your theology.

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 22 Sep, 2010 08:51 PM

All I'm reading is "I think," "I feel." Nothing that says it's ok to drink alcohol. Thunder, you said "I believe we can apply the same principle to anything that causes our judgment to be clouded whether it is alcohol, drugs, sex, or whatever we allow to control our thinking as long as it is not the Holy Spirit." You say we're not to be involved w/ anything that can cloud our judgment. You do realize that just because you're able to drive legally w/ your BAC @ .07 doesn't mean your judgment isn't impaired, no? Your judgment doesn't automatically get cloudy at .08. One drink affects the brain almost immediately. You really helped to prove my point. There's a reason alcohol is called "spirits."

Modern Christianity never ceases to amaze me. Thank you for the encouragement. Perhaps if there was a little more fire under the seats of professing Christians and pastors this nation wouldn't be in the mess it is.

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 23 Sep, 2010 02:40 PM

Psa 104:15 and wine to gladden the heart of man, oil to make his face shine and bread to strengthen man's heart.

paschen81

View Profile
History
Booze
Posted : 23 Sep, 2010 05:53 PM

actually... not all alcohols are "spirits"

there are:

SPIRITS which are distilled alcohols from a base of the other two types below which through the distillation process causes the alcohol content to concentrate.

WINES and BRANDIES which are fermented fruits

BEERS and MASH which are fermented grains

Also... just to further complicated things... so those who feel Christians should not partake of ANY alcohol... do you all abstain from ALL leavened breads? Reason I ask is... all bread contains ... yup ALCOHOL! the yeast used to make dough rise ferments the sugars in the grain giving off oxygen in the process which is what makes bread rise..

Oh... and other thing... let's not forget that many antiseptics are classified as spirits as they are distilled alcohols... just sayin anyways...

however, me personally I do not drink spirits or beers, I see nothing wrong with having a sip or two of wine in celebratory purposes... and being as such I've not drank anything alcoholic for quite some time... I will admit that I eat alcohol quite regularly because I enjoy warm buttery dinner rolls at restaurants, and sandwiches from the deli at work.

but anyway... just sayin lol

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6