Author Thread: Women with careers
LindzyB

View Profile
History
Women with careers
Posted : 1 Jan, 2009 07:19 PM

Lately, I have noticed that men seem to be intimidated by women who are seeking higher levels of education. I am currently pursuing my master's degree and plan to complete a PhD after that. Maybe it's just me but that seems to freak a lot of guys out. Why is that? Are women not supposed to have careers? What's the deal, is it intimidating? Maybe it's just me, suggestions?

View Profile
History
Women with careers
Posted : 1 Jan, 2009 08:38 PM

I think there are several reasons, I will try to address a few here.

1) Seeking higher education is very time intensive, thus interfering with the time it takes to get a relationship off the ground.

2) It usually means being separated for months at a time as you go to school. This usually ends in disaster.

3) Most people doing post graduate studies, go through a stage where they are embarrassed by their friends who are not.

4) Most post grad students only talk about their classes or subject of study, making for strained conversation.

I think you are probably familiar with the others, as they are all related to feelings of inadequacy on the part of the non-student.

Just my opinion,

Leon

mlthomas

View Profile
History
Women with careers
Posted : 2 Jan, 2009 06:20 AM

lindzyB,

I think you should go for your education. Everyone has a chance to decide what part they want to play in the work force. Some positions require more education so with that in mind Go for it I am Glad you want to get educated in your field so you could be the best. NOW COME THE FOCAL POINT: Educating yourself about the will of God for your life is more important them a PhD. When you stand before God to be judged telling God I got my PhD will not make it.

What I am saying it is fine getting an education as long as it do not take you away from the will of God for your Life because some careers are not good for a Christian. Like I am into business there is No need for me to set up STRIP CLUBS around Atlanta you get it that type of business will not go with the will of God for my Life.

AS FOR THE MEN THAT IS NOT YOUR ISSUE BECAUSE SOME MEN DO NOT FEEL GOOD ABOUT THE WOMEN MAKING MORE MONEY THEN THEM. So because their MIND is in bondage should your life be NO. LindzyB you never Know YOUR future husband may be in your Class. Guess what he could be a christian too that love the will of God . So do not limit your potential as a single women.YOU ARE AN EAGLE AND YOU NEED TO STICK WITH YOUR KIND. I LOVE THE EAGLE. OR DO YOU WANT A BUZZARD WHO LOOK FOR ROAD KILL. DO NOT GET UPSET BECAUSE THEIR IS NOTHING DEAD ABOUT YOUR LIFE AND THE BUZZARDS HAVE NOTHING TO PREY ON.:bow:

cranston

View Profile
History
Women with careers
Posted : 2 Jan, 2009 01:15 PM

Now my brothers in Chirst Jesus made some very good points: I am for eduction, but you must never let it take preeminence over Christ Jesus: I find with some ( not all ) well educated christian, we tend to bring intellectual or carnal thinking pertaining to the word of GOD: Sister: do not bring education when it comes to the Lord and you will stand well: hence you avoid being a pharisees: Now, if its in the will of God go educate yourself: be of good courage: be open to who the Lord send your way ( he may not be a doctor, he might be a waiter, but if he is of the Lord be thankfull, for he search the hearts and reains). Be bless in Christ Jesus.

View Profile
History
Women with careers
Posted : 4 Jan, 2009 10:54 AM

A woman with a top notch degree, doing what she loves, to me, that's hot. I wouldn't mind a girl being smarter than me, just as long as she doesn't rub it in my face or something all the time.

View Profile
History
Women with careers
Posted : 12 Jan, 2009 03:18 AM

I don't know any men that would be intimidated by someone having an advanced degree. The concern that I would have, and that the men I know would have, is in learning what this degree is for. Is it to help someone be a better wife and mother? Because that is what many men are looking for in a woman, is someone who has the heart to dedicate her life to being her husband's helpmeet, and a mother of many children. For these kinds of men, the turn-off may be in assuming that a woman who earns an advanced degree will want to focus on her career more than raising her children and loving her husband. She might want to seek worldly success and miss out on the higher honor of raising many godly children. But this could be a bad assumption. If there were a woman who has a doctorate who does desire to be a wonderful wife and mother, not sending her children to be raised by government-run school systems or daycares, etc., but to really focus on the future of her children and in helping her husband in life, then I would say that a doctorate would be very attractive and extremely advantageous. In fact, I have looked for women who are well educated just because of my background, but unfortunately I have only found women who do not really hunger after the kind of life that I would desire personally for my own wife. And finally, I've come to understand that if someone spends 7, 8 years working on their degrees, they are probably not doing so in order to NOT use them to their greatest capacity :glow: . It would only make sense that this kind of dedication would have in mind a longer term career.

David

View Profile
History
Women with careers
Posted : 12 Jan, 2009 11:44 PM

Peace and Grace to you from Christ our God.

Please remember...

...the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things�that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. (Titus 2:3-5)

Basically, this means that all Christian women should DO and BE what is commanded here. Ask yourself if you blaspheme the word of God.

happyness101

View Profile
History
Women with careers
Posted : 12 Feb, 2009 03:56 AM

Hi, LindsyB,

I am one such woman with a career and I truly love my job. I once had a good marriage and have raised wonderful kids. God, in his time, has blessed me with wonderful memories and am now in a new season in my life.

So I say, keep trusting God, He knows the desires of your heart and if getting that degree is something you find fulfilling, He will also take care of that someone who would value you for who you are.

I am on this site precisely because He will open doors for that someone who will find me because God has willed it and God has made a way for it.

And btw, I am after the forever - type of relationship, am not in a hurry, and yes I have a couple of higher education because God gave me brains and I won't apologise for them.

We have an awesome God and He loves us, His children. You are an awesome child to an awesome God by totally surrendering to His will. Love His word, they are lamp to your feet and guide to your path.

Cheers,

Len