Author Thread: I have been single for the last seven years.
daves7days

View Profile
History
I have been single for the last seven years.
Posted : 29 Jan, 2009 12:43 PM

Hi my name is Dave. I have been single for the last seven years. I just finished reading Dr. Jay Adams book �Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage in the Bible. Book Review:

Jay Adam's Book on MDR in the Bible is little more than pamphlet size but full of excellent info on the subject.� I agree with most of his conclusion with the exception of using the Matthew 18 process of church discipline on husbands & wives to declare them unbelievers. Many believers divorce and remarry and do not lose their salvation. The threat of excommunication gives the impression of being forced to comply with a specific church doctrine. And all they need do is go down the street to another church where they are accepted, and rededicate themselves.

�� Marriage is called giving and receiving in marriage. You cannot force someone into a relationship. And you cannot force someone to change. That is God's job.

�Dr. J Adams wrote this book in the late 70's. But new developments cannot be overlooked. The computer age has given speed to cross referencing scriptures and understanding ancient marital customs. The internet has given birth to online dating and many successful marriage "how to" enterprises both Christian and secular. The Dead Sea scrolls give a fresh interpretation of what hardness of heart meant.� And it challenges the mistranslation of "God hates divorce" into "the man who hates and puts away."� Dr. Adams counseling style is confrontational with an emphasis on bringing everything under obedience to the Word of God.� This is all good but we should not discount the Christian marriage councilors who have used Bible based principles so successfully in secular counseling.

�In other words,� the Bible and Psychology must work together helping people understand how relationships work.

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Jan, 2009 04:51 PM

Many people feel cursed for being divorced ..most of all christians. I tried my very best with someone who I gave my all too . He was a alcoholic a very bad one..he was very angry ..at himself and everyone around him. It took me 8 very long years to leave him. he picked my daughter and I up from church and had been drinking, that's when I said enough. It was very hard. I know now that I was trying to make something work , that I don't think God wanted for me in the first place. I still have faith in the bond between man and wife..It just sometimes feels like you gave up on your faith in the Lord to restore it. We all have heavy choices to make in life . I think this is one of the harder one's.

j_van

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Feb, 2009 06:24 PM

God bless you sister. You are absolutely precious! IHave you ever read "The God's Honest Truth"? If not, try it and see. I wonder because you have the nerve to say what you did. Visit darinhufford.com some time, aka free believers network.

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Dec, 2009 07:20 AM

Hola, We all have been in hard places in our lives, the only faithful one is our God, look back into your life and you'll see Him, that is why you are still here alive.........He is giving you the oportunity to have areltionship with God.

Never give up on Him because He is not giving up on you.

Keep going to church and reading your bible, hold His hand and you will be safe.

Blessings

P.S. I my self have been single for over 7 yrs now

:waving:

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jan, 2010 07:17 AM

I feel you are on the right track. I divorced my wife 6 years ago. I wrestled with that decision for a very long time. Since then, God has shown me it was for the best. I am now focusing on what God has in store for me. He hasn't shown me what it is yet. But, I am daily learning to follow Him to see what it is.

ruthandnaomi33

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Mar, 2010 03:29 PM

I have been single for three years. i married a christian raised man. i found my faith through his family. He was/is an alcoholic. I was married 5 years. It is anextremely tuff decision to make. I give you credit for doing what is safe for you and your daughter. gods love will still guide you, we just have to be patient and listen.:angel:

witness2all

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Dec, 2010 01:59 PM

relationships are based on several key factors.

1. Spiritual: the relationship must be based on similar spiritual beliefs as well as the spirits within each person must be at harmony with each other(possibly the Chemistry).

2.Physical attraction/Chemistry: There must be a physical attraction as well as Chemistry between the people in the relationship because we live on Physical plane as well as a spiritual plane.

3.Law: There must be an agreement and understanding of the laws of God concerning the relationship of the Man as the Head and the woman being in Subordination(Help meet)

to the man.Also the Husband being faithful and loving toward his wife at all times.Husbands being the provider to the family bringing home food and giving spiritual leadershiip to the wife and children and the wife raising and nuturing the children and providing dities of cooking and cleaning.

4.courtship:Necessary in order to see if all of the above is in agreement between both people.

5.Love based on truth:love is found within the truth and agreement of both people.