Author Thread: Age difference for marriage
daves7days

View Profile
History
Age difference for marriage
Posted : 10 Feb, 2009 05:23 PM

What is the biblical recorded age difference for marriage. The only one I know of is the ages of Abraham and Sarah.

QUOTE: � messengers from God, predicted that she would have a child. She laughed; after all, she was 90 years old and Abraham nearly 100! Yet God predicted that in one year, she would give birth. One year later, when Abraham was 100, Sarah�s son, Isaac, was born.� http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Sarah.html

If Abraham and Sarah were ten years apart and this is the only example mentioned in the bible, then I would tend think that the ten years difference is at least acceptable.

I am not 100 years old yet. If I were to date a woman 10 years younger she would have to be 47. but that is not a hard and fast rule but more a general guideline.

Joseph had to wait until Mary became �of age.� And historically that would be the Law, 13 years and a day. Traditionally Mary was believed to be 14 when she was found to be with child.

Today it is said women live longer so they should marry a younger man so as not to become a widow. I would say biblically speaking ten years or less is reasonable. And age is only one part of compatibility and companionship.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Apr, 2021 10:38 PM

Hmmm interesting...:-)

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 May, 2021 11:43 PM

Bump...:-)