Author Thread: is it a "turnoff"
Admin

is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 22 Feb, 2009 11:11 AM

If i a guy were to claim to be a realist (not pessimist)??

angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 22 Feb, 2009 12:41 PM

Those are not really the opposite of each other - can tell me what you mean by that?

Realist - believes the literal truth.

Pessimist - always thinking the worst will happen.

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 22 Feb, 2009 01:59 PM

that is exsactly what i am talking about, people liken realism to a pessimist, when in reality a realist accepts what is real and will happen, but why do so many people dislike this idea, why are so many females opposed to this, and why are so many people ridiculously cheesy happy when people know the laws of thermodynamics.

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 23 Feb, 2009 01:48 PM

I am a realist! I believe in the real world! That is why I vote Republican and not Democrat!!!

:nahnah:

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 23 Feb, 2009 11:16 PM

First off, AMEN Momma Morgana!! :yay:

Mr. G,

I am trying to be a realist and completely understand your point. :) I think Angle was also trying to clarify exactly what question you were asking, as am I.

I consider myself to be a realist. As you know, I am completely aware of the world and the "bad stuff" it harbors. That being said, I don't proclaim to know anything that "will happen" as you claim. Also, as a realist, I know that miracles happen! However, sometimes, whenever the "realism" is overwhelming(when it seems a lot of bad stuff is happening), I have to stop and look at the good things God has given us. I hope this isn't the ridiculously cheesy happy attitude you are speaking of. I haven't knowingly studied thermodynamics, but I have been a part of this world for 30 years now and have learned that God doesn't want us to be overwhelmed (in a negative context) at all.

I don't like to assume anything, but it seems like you think that being a realist is always expecting pessimistic things.

To be a realist doesn't mean that everything is bad or negative. That's a pessimist.

The difference is realist acknowledge the positives too! :yay:

These are my opinions. I hope I haven't offended you; I was using the information given.

God bless you,

T

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 24 Feb, 2009 12:41 PM

the nice part of being a realist is you are constantly either being proven right or pleasantly surprised. that is my philosophy on the whole thing.

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 25 Feb, 2009 04:26 AM

@OP... as the 2nd post stated.. a world of difference between being a realist, and a pessimist.. 2 completely different things. One is a philosophical view on life, the other is not so philosophical but simply a frame of mind a tad bit on the unhealthy side which can lead to therapy, as well as damage others who will listen.

As far as being a realist goes.. there's no good reason in the world to sugarcoat things or bend the truth (your wife coming home claiming she only spent $10 for shoes when they really cost $40 lol), but refraining from being brutally honest where it will hurt another's feelings isn't exactly wise either.

If life is all about finding comfort, joy and power in "being right" most of the time.. consider the idea of "idolatry of the mind", or the worshipping of one's own intelligence (it's complicated and bordering on the topic of "men and ego" but maybe a new thread will open up on that one.)

Men.. we all have this weakness; the ego. When it's stroked the right way a man will die 20 deaths for you. When it's stroked the wrong way yet another monster walks the earth... damaged people damage other people and we need to pray for them.

God bless.

:waving:

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 25 Feb, 2009 04:48 PM

Only if I am married to him....jk

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 26 Feb, 2009 09:57 PM

Oh, Morgana you are a "Hoot!" :)))))))))))))

I feel that sometimes being a realist can sometimes draw negative feedback not by what was said but the manner in which it was delivered. and...You have to take into consideration that some perfer to keep their head buried in the sand. Take Care.

:)) Robin

OceanSparrow

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 27 Feb, 2009 07:58 PM

Personally,I like when people just believe and act on the facts. Jesus always did. :glow:

chitown101

View Profile
History
is it a "turnoff"
Posted : 26 Mar, 2009 02:39 PM

Well, to answer you question directly: Yes, it kinda is a turnoff. When you say "you are either proven right, or surprised" it sounds super depressing.

It is nice to be around people who are optimistic and happy, becuase it tends to rub off. Not like fake happy, but someone who finds joy in the little things. The people who go through life with a positive attitude are pleasent to be around.

Page : 1 2