Author Thread: Classical music?
arrowtt

View Profile
History
Classical music?
Posted : 27 Feb, 2009 02:10 AM

I m recently listening back to classical,

I m wondering if u r listening to any which makes u think" there is really a God ! "

Thanks......

angel_in_mn

View Profile
History
Classical music?
Posted : 28 Feb, 2009 03:07 PM

My favorite classical songs is "Open Thou Mine Eyes" - it has a beautiful message.

It was hard to find it on-line. I found a video so you can hear it, but it is a little hard to understand the lyrics due to the accent.

The video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxmj397jyXw&feature=related

Here are the lyrics:

Open thou mine eyes and I shall see,

Incline my heart and I shall desire,

Order my steps and I shall walk

In the ways of thy commandments.

O Lord God, be thou to me a God

And beside thee let there be none else,

No other, nought else with thee.

Vouchsafe to me to worship thee

and serve thee

According to thy commandments

In truth of spirit,

In reverence of body,

In blessing of lips,

In private and in public.

View Profile
History
Classical music?
Posted : 12 Jul, 2009 06:38 PM

Haha, well I've been listening to Wagner lately. Absolutely despicable human, but his music makes one realize the gift of music and how much it amplifies the presence of a supernatural origin. Praise God for music!

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Classical music?
Posted : 1 Sep, 2009 07:45 PM

I actually don't listen to much classical music...I think it's because I am a full-time music faculty member at a Christian college. By the time I escape the music building after a long day of accompanying for every voice major in the program, the LAST thing I want to do is hear more classical music!

But if I had to say which sacred classical music moves me the most, it would have to be settings of portions of the Mass (I'm not Catholic, by the way, but I have studied the Mass in detail and know most of the translations for the Ordinary). Faure's Requiem is simply breathtaking. I like other sacred works as well, such as Handel's Messiah, and Haydn's The Creation. Vivaldi's Gloria is another favorite. Notice that most of these are choral works...I accompanied for the college choir for 4 years, and became quite proficient at playing all of these works!