Author Thread: "Pagan Christianity?" by Frank Viola and George Barna
Gourd00

View Profile
History
"Pagan Christianity?" by Frank Viola and George Barna
Posted : 7 Jul, 2015 03:21 PM

Has anyone read this? Thoughts?

The book is about how many of our current church practices had pagan or secular roots, and that they don't have a Biblical foundation. Topics included in this book include- worship on Sunday, pastors preaching to passive (just sit there) audiences, and even separate dressing styles for ministers, among other things.

I've started reading the book, and it is interesting to see some of the history noted in it, not to mention to see where some common day focuses like "GET MORE SOULS!" evangelism have come from. I recommend the book to most people.

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Aug, 2015 02:32 PM

yep! I just read it... and it's pretty good! :)

it's funny I had "remaining church" from viola on my bookshell for years, waiting on me to read it (when I'll get the time after my thesis blablabla 'cause the last 5 years I only allowed thesis-related books) & now that I found my "reading freedom" back, one of my friends told me about this book "pagan christianity" because I love history of christian doctrines and how much you can actually see human fingerprint all around our religious traditions and how much a lot of people never question any of our churches/christian behaviour because we just assumed it's biblical etc...

I've work a lot on the way cultural background influence our way to live our faith too...

anyway, so I borrow it from my friend and had a really great time reading it, and then I found out that "remaining church" was the book you need to read after "pagan christianity" (PC) because in PC they most of all break down asumption and in "remaining church" apparently they give leak toward another way to live church... or something (didn't read it yet, but I will definitely) :)

hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
Posted : 31 Aug, 2015 01:00 PM

definitely gonna read this as I am a "different type of Christian, HINT!" can't say a lot about it.

thanks