Author Thread: Flat Broke and Considering Missionary Work?
Admin

Flat Broke and Considering Missionary Work?
Posted : 16 Jul, 2015 11:59 PM

How does one go about getting involved in international Missionary work if you have a minimal income?

Thanks in advance!

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jul, 2015 11:12 AM

I, too, have wondered the same thing. My daughter is returning today from mission in Guatemala. While she had some financial assistance in paying for her airfare, etc, there were many 'necessities' she couldn't afford - i.e., inoculation for Typhoid would have cost her $140 or so. . . Of necessity for me, my 'mission' work has to be close to home and international mission is but a dream. I would love to hear of others ideas on this subject.

PanPeterPan

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Aug, 2015 07:11 AM

Missionary Work... I always wanted...

but it is not so easy

You /or me/ are ready to offer time & hard work, attention, goodwill etc

for short or long time...

but sometimes they expect You to pay for it more than for nice holidays...

I don't know how charity/missionary works but for me it is a bit weird

when they receive donations and still expect money from potential missionary...

If anyone knows / experience/ please let me know:dunce:

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Dec, 2015 11:06 AM

Here's what I did. Cliffs notes version, it's a lot more complicated than this in reality, but it works.

Have a clear calling from God. Has God called you to a mission field? I talked to my pastor and the church and they officially sent me out as their missionary, but they couldn't afford to support my entire monthly financial needs, so my pastor wrote a letter of recommendation to other pastors.

I called/visited churches of like-faith that had missions programs. If the individual church agreed with my beliefs and work I could accomplish on the mission field and decided to support me, they would. Amounts they could send me on a monthly basis varied from church to church. I had a goal to make a certain amount each month that I knew would support me on the missions field (taking everyday living and missions work expenses together), once I reach that amount (the amount the combined supporting churches brought in each month), I can then go to the country God called me to. It might take a year or two of dedicated travel, speaking, teaching, studying, and plain hard work, but if you don't give up, with God's help you will succeed.

God_is_my_Father

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2016 11:53 PM

The most immediate way is to contribute to an already established work. God's people make numerous gifts, with a mountain of small, seemingly insignificant contributions from the working poor, being a major portion of the funding.

If you want to go, the first thing to do is ask the Lord for guidance. Is there some one place or type of ministry which grabs your attention? Do you pray for a specific people group or country? Do you read about the local culture and try to learn some of the basic language?

It isn't necessary that you do any or all of them at this point, but it is something to consider starting if you want to go somewhere specific. Are you willing to ask for others to pray for you, to help in the spiritual arena, as well as the financial needs? Never go anywhere without understanding Ephesians 6.

If God has told you to go somewhere, He will provide for your needs, and He will prepare the way for you. The success will be in following His lead, and not boxing yourself in. Allow that what you think your itinerary will be may be changed by a missed flight or an unexpected "chance" meeting with a stranger in a foreign land, whom God has prepared to bless you. My best trip was the one where everything I had planned was turned on its head. It was an amazing adventure.

ziann88

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Nov, 2016 06:19 AM

I have always desired to go for mission work since I was a kid. I remember when I was around 10, everytime I find myself alone at home, I would go to my room, lock the door and pray to God. I remember crying out to Him during my prayer time. I just felt the desire to talk to Him, enjoy His presence.

Then in college during one of our revival worship event in church, God started showing me visions. I see visions during my prayer time and even when I'm lying down in bed. I didn't understand some of it but I knew God was trying to show me something. Then one time, a few months after my graduation, as I was leaving my apartment,I saw a huge map on the kitchen wall. I didn't know what I was thinking but I laid my hand on the map and prayed for God to send me to the unreached people that I may share the gospel to them. A couple of weeks later, my mentor called me telling me to go for a mission trip in Indonesia. I didn't know what to say! I was excited!However, I was also thinking how I am going to afford a plane ticket. I had no money, no source of income. nothing.

Then God did something amazing! He blessed me with a job. However, the salary I received was not enough to cover all my expenses abroad. I thought my trip would be cancelled because obviously, I have nothing in my pocket.I was broke..nt even a cent on my account (really!) But it was God who said I should go and so even if I do not have enough if He says "go", then why would I say "no"? I was not able to provide the entire amount I needed for the plane ticket but I knew God will provide. And God did. One day, as I was checking my emails, I saw a message from stranger (a strong believer of Jesus Christ) who live in the US. I have never met her in my entire life. She has never been to my country not have I been to hers. She messaged me saying that God convicted her to send a financial support to a young Asian woman whom God will use to share the gospel (me). I was surprised! God has been working the entire time.

This woman of God whom I know nothing of became a vessel of blessing so God can fulfill his purpose in my life.

I went to Indonesia where I had my training in mission field. During that time, God showed me more of how great He is and how amazing His love is to mankind.

If God called you,even if you say, "I am broke", if you have the willingness and the desire to follow Him, I assure you of this, He will allow you to experience His amazing power.

David was very young and small but He won the battle against Goliath.

There's no excuse when you are called by the One and Only True God. The God who makes things possible, whose love is so deep that He even sent His One and Only Son to die for you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Feb, 2017 10:05 AM

After I surrendered my life to Christ, there came a day when I felt led to surrender everything and submit even to missions. I was 56 years old and a widow for less than a year at that time. I began intentionally seeking a place in missions.

After more than a year of searching, I came to believe that I had found the right match for myself. I interviewed for the position and was accepted as a candidate for a particular mission. I sold my home and all of my possessions, except my car because I owed more on it than it was worth. I put every bit of money I could towards going on mission. I sent letters to everyone that I know or once knew asking them to help support me on mission. My church got involved and helped me with some of the funding.

It took me 4 months to raise 80% of my funding; once I raised that amount I was granted permission to purchase my airline tickets.

It wasn't easy. I had to humble myself and ask for help. I had to step outside of my comfort zone, but God was faithful and He provided for all my needs. I have been on mission for 21 months of my two-year commitment. I have been granted permission to extend for an additional 3 months. God is good. I love my position and hope that I will be able to return some day.

may_your_soul_prospe

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Jun, 2017 02:23 AM

God has promised to supply ALL OF (not some of) our need. That means the bread but not the caviar (aka luxuries) although sometimes He does give us a piece of luxury to show His love.

If we step out trusting God, He will supply.

You might like to download the e-books "Mission Pilot" and "Mission Miracles" from

gospelministry.org/media (then click on e-books)

(You will find copies in several languages.)

I realise some will not like the denomination they are about, but I believe you will find some good advice and guidance. The other tabs in this link may also be of help.

Greg

watchman21

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Aug, 2017 09:16 PM

You or anyone else needs to go all the way with the promises from God. It is all we have when you get right to the root of what we need. It is all in the promises of Jesus. Start to finish it is all we actually have of anything real. Jesus sent them out told them to go with nothing, no scrip (which actually means the stuff in the purse he said an empty purse). Not even a bag or spare cloak. He created in them a culture or dependence on provision from God the Father. Got them away from the habit of dependence on things on preparation on anything of strife. He also told them to teach the message of the kingdom of God. So got them away from any religion or churchianity. Stripped it all back. And also he put them in two's and three's so no solitary stuff that will only draw a religious spirit if you are solitary. It's about one person with the Holy Spirit and another person with the Holy Spirit. They go out in dependence on God and his kingdom of God being the King and they teach people to have God as their king to be linked directly to him and not to depend on them but God the Father only. That is a long long way from anything of modern Churchianity. A long long long way from anything of our own strength. It can only be done with God in control, leading guiding providing wisdom. It is done in wisdom that come directly from God the Father in every situation. There are many promises even from Jesus himself that he will provide houses and lands both in this world and the world to come if we give up houses and lands for the Kingdom of God and his names sake. But it takes real faith you must stay the course and not waver.

dancinlovin

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Feb, 2019 10:45 AM

With my calling, I have a heart for missions. God led me to like minds for my calling. I plan to visit and spend time there. But God had me help my partners of like minds in calling financially. It may be all that I have to give, but that money has helped build the mission and reached many thousands. Search out those that are like minded. You learn much before God allows you to go. But I've also learned God gives us callings to lead us to other callings. It seems so clear when you have a calling, but nothing can stop God from moving you in His direction.

Maxwell5d

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Jul, 2022 05:34 AM

Amen ,I would love to go to thy field thy work