Author Thread: Window Shopping
Phoenyx

View Profile
History
Window Shopping
Posted : 4 Jun, 2009 11:00 PM

This isn't really just in need of response by guys, just HOPEFULLY something helpful and asking for...

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR PROFILES! ^_^

So many times there are people asking how to help their profile. It�s a great way to hear from people and their opinions. Now, after expanding and condensing, expanding and condensing, finding your own preferred setting gets tiring, or at least it did for me, after continuously finding new comments about how profiles should be. Here�s a grouping of some of the things said and some added points. �Quotes� are from comments on the forums by other users.

When doing searches (basic/advanced/user), or looking at New Users, Online Now or Women/Men Online, you might notice that they contain info about the Users. They would be the: Username, Age, (I'm guessing) looking for a woman (MSF) or man (FSM), what they are looking for (Marriage Partner, Long Term Relationship...), if they are online, where they are from, their headline, and a brief description of their profile.

One, you already know how the site says that pictures gain 10x the amount of responses as profiles without pictures. Increasing your picture count "increases activity by 300%" too. Pictures are not just for the ones who want the good-looking spouse, but for people who want to know how well you take care of yourself. Your main profile should have a "clear and respectable photo". There are some people who like to see a picture of you all fancied up and one where you are just out of bed. Maybe one that shows you in an activity you like. Pictures of random things of something you like are fine, but should not be your main picture. A group picture of several of your gender makes it hard to find you, if you do not have a picture of just yourself, but at the same time pictures of you with mostly the opposite gender can cause hesitation in some users. Avoid pictures that obviously cut out a past special someone. Pictures too many years back without updates may strike an observer as lying.

Opening up your age settings is a good way to get responses, though preference is up to you. There are mixed feelings about how far in either direction and leaning towards older or younger people. Smokers and, I think, drinkers may be blocked entirely, even if it is rarely.

Your header is also a way to snatch attention, so make sure that your phrase describes you or your thoughts, or perhaps is unique and grabs attention in the good way. You can also use it to say that you have updated your profile. "Looking for My One and Only, Profile Update 4/25/09"

This brief description is the first, I think, 400 characters (with spaces) of your profile, depending on how large the last words of that are. (Characters are letters, numbers & symbols. To see how many you have in a section without counting, Microsoft Word and Word Processor [if you have them] have "Word Count" under "Tools" at the top.) Have your first 400 characters (with spaces) of your profile contain things that you think are most important, most represent you and/or would catch the eye of the person you would most likely date. (You can cut down and get more information squeezed in by using numbers and the "&" sign, OR using enter to separate sentences rather than a space.) This is pretty much a teaser for them to read your entire profile, which many prefer longer, but still short and sweet (unless you would prefer someone interested enough to do that for you and still contact, which is great.)

Here are a few things suggested by users to have on your profile (WARNING, put together sloppily):

Good Grammar and Spelling. Separations in your writing so the reader can take a breather. Organize the information as well so it doesn�t seem dashed together.

Condensed Information, without causing them to go on scavenger to find out what you are talking about. Some do not click down more than once to read the profile. If you wish to reveal more of yourself without making it appear long, you might add links in the lower part of your "First Date" section, so you have a summary for one group to read and more in-depth examples for those who would like to learn more before contacting you.

�Repeating ANYWHERE, no matter how minor.� A lot of people who come here expect you to be Christian. You don't have to reiterate so bluntly. The things you speak about on your profile, like your life, should reflect that�

Your Conversation (Biblical term for lifestyle, I think, which I like to refer to as specifically a Christian lifestyle, which include activities such as charity or missionary work. Some may include whether or not they are a virgin or if they have remained chaste since becoming a Christian, since not all started out that way.) and your Testimony (how you were brought to Christianity). Bible verses are good, just don't overdo it. Understanding the verses is more important than just being able to quote.

Moral Values, Political Association and/or Category

How lenient or compassionate you can be. What you can offer.

Hobbies, Quirks (maybe show your individuality, differentiate yourself), and Faults (not everyone is perfect and revealing it away shows honesty, but I warn against too much or you might scare someone away before they know all the great things about you as well)

Favorite Anything (movies, games, animals, houses, cars, television shows, sports, teams, colors, plants, food, drinks, and/or anything you want, think up or find interesting about yourself to share), Likes and/or Dislikes.

"Deal Breakers" and �Don�t Minds�. What you are looking for, which doesn't mean specifying to the point of endless explanation, but a simple and clear-cut requirements. You can weed out later. Avoid "Laundry Lists" (a LONG list of what you want from a person). Avoid listing what he/she must look like, which can intimidate others or bring a bad light upon yourself, even if he�s/she�s your picture-perfect.

ian777

View Profile
History
Window Shopping
Posted : 5 Jun, 2009 05:33 PM

Hey this is really good - thanks for posting.

Ian

Phoenyx

View Profile
History
Window Shopping
Posted : 5 Jun, 2009 08:22 PM

Thanks for reading. I was afraid this had been overdone.

gamegal

View Profile
History
Window Shopping
Posted : 21 Jun, 2009 08:44 PM

Definately not overdone and greatly appreciated!