Author Thread: TWO QUESTIONS FOR OPEN DISCUSSION
holyjoe78

View Profile
History
TWO QUESTIONS FOR OPEN DISCUSSION
Posted : 22 Jun, 2009 07:15 PM

QUESTION 1

Is it OK for single Christians to read the Song of Solomon or should they wait until they're married before they read it?

[The Song of Solomon is the love poem, the 22nd book of the Old Testament in the Bible.]

QUESTION 2

As a single Christian do you sometimes feel like a second-class citizen within your own church family[especially where the overwhelming majority of your congregation is made up of married couples?]

Please feel free to answer one or both of the above questions.

Looking forward to your reply.

Phoenyx

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Jun, 2009 08:00 AM

A person should read the Book of Solomon regardless of whether or not they are married. It is the whole book of God and one doesn't have to be qualified to read it.

As far as feeling left out, not in reference to being single among the married, but by having a different set of beliefs concerning the Bible.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Jun, 2009 03:06 PM

(1) The Song of Solomon is more of a picture of God and his bride, the church, so it should definitely be read by all believers! It's such an awesome story of how God woos us and loves us passionately. This is a fundamental truth for Christianity that sets it apart from other religious beliefs - that God desires a love relationship with his people.

(2) What was the question? . . . Oh, yeah :goofball: I don't feel second-class at all, but it might be because I make a point of mingling with all different types of people - old, young, married, unmarried - I make a point of not getting stuck with just one group of people. It's important to get involved with the larger community.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Jun, 2009 10:52 AM

I'm sorry for those that may feel less than themselves because they are temporarily failing in seeking a marriage partner. Don't let these doubts get you down. Rather, become the best single person you can be! Fully love life, be open to all its gifts, pray, improve your life, be filled with the joy of having Christ in our lives. These efforts will result you becoming a better person, not only for yourself, all your family and friends, and strangers, but all those single men or women will be drawn to you. And you'll be in the appropriate mindset to give and receive love.

The focus should always be on giving glory to God. Marriage, however wonderful and powerful, is but one of many vocations in which we can serve.

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Jun, 2009 09:00 PM

Joe,

I think that the entire Bible is a good thing to read. Remember its all God-breathed and good for teaching, preaching, educating, rebuking and encouraging.

As far as feeling like a second class citizen, kinda reminds me of the blog i wrote a while back by that title. its on my my space page, look up the name joecephus777 to read it

1LovelyItaliana

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jul, 2009 05:31 PM

1- I learned from a Bible school prof that young Hebrew boys had to wait until they were 13 years of age to read SOS because it was so graphic for kids lol. That can be an example, but if I were you, I'd read passages of it to kids at my own discretion.

2- I don't have a church family yet, but if I did and this was going on, I would organize a young adults bible study or something of the like to help everyone come together and edify one another in Christ. Don't let the current situation deter you from making positive changes for God's glory.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Jul, 2009 02:00 PM

1. i've read the song before, and it's very beautiful. there's nothing in there that is "tempting" if that's what you meant. to me, it's great that single people can read someting like that because it describes the TRUE meaning of sex. in today's society, everyone neds to read that because they've forgotten the true meaning.

2. i know there's someone out there for everyone, but i can't help but feeling like a second-citizen of my church. surrounded by happy couples, then bad memories of my love life flash thru my mind; it's just overwhelming. i get thru it, though. because i'm surrounded by the Holy Spirit and my close friends.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jul, 2009 02:46 PM

Great questions and great answers.

1) The Bible is God's intimate love letter to you. Nothing in God's word should be avoided, evaded, or put off until later. It's like when you go to a church that never preaches from the minor prophets, be afraid!

2) It's the very nature of the lie satan has peddled to our churches: sex is dirty! Because of the fear of the flesh, many churches have outright discouraged singles from fellowship through lack of ministry, through intentional segregation, and through seminars based on making you feel wretched for having any desire for intimacy.

When I speak to the Seattle pastors about the subject, they get very uncomfortable. It's kind of like the reaction I expect a sympathetic person gives to a leper: I want to console you.....from 50 miles away....where I can't catch your sickness...

Paul's rebuke of the church in Colossians at the end of chapter 2 is neat and important here. Our earthly traditions of mistreating singles seem very spiritual but do nothing to prevent sin or minister to the needs of singles. This isn't encouragement to sin but a rebuke for treating the symptoms and not being Christlike to those in need of our love.

In Seattle this is largely related to the fact that we've allowed Satan to preach in our churches and the divorce of scripture from the pulpits; but the impression I get from many people across the nation is that this sickness is spreading with a general coldness to the love of Christians for the saints in Christ.

If this sounds like something you can relate to, I implore to join me in falling on your face before the Lord and asking for Him to renew our love for and obedience to Him. As the psalmist rightly points out, the Lord requires a penitent and contrite heart and not sacrifice or idol (spelling intentional) worship.

aceets

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Jul, 2009 01:49 PM

Hey,

Both of the questions are very good.

(1) It is true that the Rabbis would not allow people younger then 30 to read it, but that is also true of other parts of the OT (e.g. parts of Ezekiel). As Christians who affirm the full inspiration of Scripture we need to realize that The song of Songs is as much scripture as any other part of the Bible is. The difficult question is how to read it. Seeing it as the love story of Christ and his Church is certainly a valid way of doing it, esp. if you go on to read Isaiah after it (see chapter 5). Another way of reading it, and one that I love, is reading Proverbs 31 before moving on to Ruth and then to the Song. This is the order of the books in the Hebrew canon. Try it and tell me what you think of it.

(2) Unfortunately yes. It is especially obvious during church camps or other social events.

Blessings

Aceets

holyjoe78

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Jul, 2009 04:39 PM

I have had a very good response to my posting from June 22 entitled 'Two Questions for Open Discussion'. Many thanks to all those who responded. I have read every single answer that was contributed and found them very interesting and thought-provoking.

I look forward to receiving more replies.

God Bless

Holyjoe78