Author Thread: Restoration of Biblical Interpretation
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Restoration of Biblical Interpretation
Posted : 15 Feb, 2019 07:34 AM

One of the major issues challenging a biblical worldview is the proper interpretation of scripture.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Feb, 2019 08:48 AM

The other day I was listening as a popular theologian attempted to debate a popular atheist. The theologian has long rejected the literal 6 day creation account that is so clearly stated and defined in Genesis 1&2. Consequently this theologian’s interpretive bias seriously jeopardized his credibility in the debate. Like so many of his comprising contemporaries, he prefers to “interpret” the Genesis account in ways that accommodate old earth conjecture embraced by the atheistic “scientific” establishment. You’ll notice I use quotes around scientific. More could be said about terminology but sufficit to say the term “science” is being hijacked and redefined by the current atheistic establishment.

Ok, how is all that relevant to the topic. First of all, the aforementioned theologian needed to dispense with the universal rules of literary interpretation in order to justify his anti-literal interpretation of Genesis 1. By side stepping the normal rules of literary interpretation he was able to assert a false interpretation of Genesis in line with his own bias.

Sadly, too many lazy listeners go away wringing their heads and hands assuming a clear biblical interpretation is impossible.

And that’s my point. We MUST once again return to what theologians refer to as a consistent, “Historical, Linguistic and Grammatical Interpretation” of the Bible.

Simply put, we must appeal to the original languages, their historical meaning and their grammar as inspired by the Holy Spirit.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Mar, 2019 10:04 PM

Do you understand "PARDES"? Biblical interpretation has many levels of understanding. Granted; Historical Cultural Context should always come first.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Mar, 2019 04:20 PM

Sorry, I missed your post earlier.

Are you talking about the Institude for Jewish Studies?

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Mar, 2019 12:11 AM

Pardes

PaRDeS

PRDS

P=Peshat R=Remez D=Derash S=Sod

You'll find Pau/S'haul used these methods in his epistles:

Peshat: often inaccurately translated as literal, it comes from the root which means simple, although peshat is sometimes anything but simple! Peshat correctly means the intended, explicit meaning.

Remez: alluded meaning (reading between the lines). Remez in modern Hebrew means hint. Traditionally, remez referred to methods such as gezera shava (equivalent language implying equivalent meaning) and gematria (word-number values)

Derash: Homiletical or interpretative meaning. The word 'midrash' is from the same root. The drash is an interpretation that is not explicit in the text.

Sod: (lit. secret). The mystical or esoteric meaning.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Mar, 2019 01:56 AM

Thanks, I’m on it.

BTW you a worthy debate opponent! I mean that in a positive sense