Author Thread: There is a Difference Between Science and Philosophy
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
There is a Difference Between Science and Philosophy
Posted : 1 Mar, 2019 09:19 PM

Seems too many Christians and their Atheist friends often confuse science with philosophy. Although there maybe a slight overlap, philosophy basically represents the study of knowledge while science is basically the search for knowledge. But sadly, much of what passes for “science” belongs in the philosophy department under myth. For example, evolution is not science! In fact, it’s more like myth. Yet there are Christians and Christin theologians who barrow from it to interpret scripture

MichaelWolf94

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Oct, 2020 08:20 AM

The definition you use for philosophy seems to include since and was quite prevalent in the 3th century, but since then ta physika got the replaced my more specialized sciences we have today. Most of the process happened in the last 3 centuries. I will not try to give a better or more comprehensive definition of philosophy here, but I'd argue that taking a viewpoint and answering ethical or metaphysical questions using rationality certainly belongs in that field. Please note that there is a huge difference in studying philosophy, which can be scientific, and being philosophical, which might involve science at some point, but isn't scientific.

There is more than one scale to measure things.

Philosophy is different from science in the sense that it's concerned with the way or purpose of living. Since the ethical part of it inherently includes the question of the definition of value, it's from a human perspective resistant to real objectivity, since it matters to us how our live is.

Science is something that stems from a process involving the scientific method. So science is indifferent to the outcome, while the researcher may not.

Therefore the difference doesn't primarily show in the topics or the results, but in the methods used to approach the issue.

So the fact that a theory might as well be a myth, doesn't concern the fact whether it's scientific.

When we are in the search of "the right" or even a decent way to live or act, science will not help us.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Oct, 2020 03:43 PM

I don’t believe I really “defined” philosophy as such, just an observation.

I think can agree with your post as I understand it even if l might not have followed your line of argument entirely.