Author Thread: THIS IS YOUR WAY OUT... TAKE IT!
Admin

THIS IS YOUR WAY OUT... TAKE IT!
Posted : 6 Jan, 2020 09:20 AM

If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free.

God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

What does worshiping in the spirit mean? It means praying in tongues because 1 COR 14:1 reads For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Jan, 2020 10:17 AM

The O.P. starts with: "If ye continue in my word".

Okay.....

We need to stop right here and ask a couple questions:

Who is speaking? - answer: Jesus

What is the word? - *answer: Jesus's teachings

*[Many want to say "my word" is the Bible. However this is Not the simple literal meaning of the text and there are some problems with this interpretation. First the New Testament had not yet been written. Second, if "my word" is taken as the Old Testament, the Jews also had this, then it wouldn't be considered "my" word. Granted, if we take the view that it is not Jesus speaking, but GOD then "my word" could be interpreted as the Torah, Old Testament and prophetically the New Testament. However this is a mystical interpretation of the verse. The simple literal interpretation is Jesus's teachings, i.e. Jesus's Oral Torah).

- to keep this short, ill cut to the chase -

Yes, we are to worship "in Spirit..." but also in truth. The truth is Paul says "tongues" are a gift of Spirit and not everyone receives the same gifts. Therefore not every born again Christian receives the gift of tongues. Furthermore, Paul implies "tongues" can be counterfeit. This is why he instructed there must always be an interpretation following a public use of "tongues".

GOD IS Spirit and we are to worship GOD in the Spirit which HE gives us. Granted, for "Spirit" Hebrew = ruach & Greek = pneuma, both literally meaning breath or wind, However in the context of the biblical authors, it meant one's life or soul.

This is TRUE worship: your whole life and soul bows to the will of GOD. (not just in a display of tongues).

Matthew 22

"36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38This is the great and first commandment"

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Jan, 2020 01:19 PM

I feel like the OP totally took that out of context, in order to come to that conclusion. 1 Corinthians 12 implies that not all Christians speak in tongues.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2020 11:57 AM

Sorry Skott, you must learn to interpret scripture citations in a way that’s consistent with their original contexts, otherwise you’ll end up cutting and pasting together portions of out of context scripture that has more in common with a ransom note than it does with the Bible.

In addition to that, Biblical tongues are not being practiced in the modern church the way it was demonstrated at Pentecost. The modern tongues movement has more in common with the way pagan’s practice tongues than it does with Pentecost. In other words, modern Christianity is not the only religion practicing false tongues (non-linguistic gibberish).

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2020 12:26 PM

David,

There are modern accounts of tongues in real languages. I once heard tongues in a Church and knew what they said. Therefore while I agree there is misuse and counterfeiting, and not as prevalent as we 'thought' it was in the 1st century, there are still legitimate tongues today.

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jan, 2020 12:27 PM

David,

There are modern accounts of tongues in real languages. I once heard tongues in a Church and knew what they said. Therefore while I agree there is misuse and counterfeiting, and not as prevalent as we 'thought' it was in the 1st century, there are still legitimate tongues today.