Author Thread: Fake profiles or scammers
chief_seattle

View Profile
History
Fake profiles or scammers
Posted : 6 May, 2020 04:13 PM

Specifically as it pertains to this CDFF site, what are some profile red flags that hint that someone might not be who they say they are?

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 May, 2020 09:29 PM

I wouldn't mind weighing in on this, except I'm not sure how many scammers might read the forums. I wouldn't want to unknowingly help them do a better job of scamming people, haha!

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 May, 2020 07:04 AM

Usually, the biggest indicator is if they ask for money. Other indicators can include profile photos pulled off Google, grammar, dodging questions, and refusal to do video calls. When targeting females, they could say they are very wealthy from a nice Western country.

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 May, 2020 09:43 AM

A good way to root tuem out is to plan on meeting in person very soon. Within a month, say. It's a lot harder to maintain a facade in person than it is online.

chief_seattle

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 May, 2020 02:03 PM

This may be me

chief_seattle

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 May, 2020 02:06 PM

This may be me reading too much into it, but how about profiles with just one picture and other things like random misspelled words, extra spaces in between commas and periods, random capitalization of words that should be capitalized, incredibly cliche responses "Hanging out with friends and having fun" etc.? Do you guys and gals agree or disagree? I mean if someone was somewhat serious about this website wouldn't they put a bit of effort into their profile? Idk haha...

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 May, 2020 02:25 PM

Yes, I agree with you. It's better safe than sorry. Stay clear of sloppy profiles with cheese such as "ask me."

Alligator

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 May, 2020 03:06 PM

i dont bother to respond to anyone with no photo and no interests. it takes them 60 seconds to post a photo, why waste my time asking for one.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 May, 2020 12:39 PM

This site has too many scammers! I've encountered several since being here.

I'm talking to a man know who seems to be one also.

Time will tell. Some are very deceptive.

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 May, 2020 08:52 PM

Scammers usually create hundreds of fake profiles hoping that one will work, and they are not really paying attention to what they write. They make a multitude of grammar errors and spelling errors. When you start talking to someone like that, they get excited and want a relationship right away (if it's a woman). I have never talked to a scammer who poses as a man, because I am a man. So, I can't tell what to look for when trying to identify a male scammer. I know what to look for in someone who poses as a female. The women I want to talk to usually do not respond on these dating sites, and so I have to send maybe 30-40 messages to get a conversation going. On the other hand, a scammer will not only respond but they will often initiate contact. They will send a wink or say hi or and will have an attractive profile photo to make sure guys will respond. Lol On Facebook, they will have thousands of friends. They will like things that are conflicting. For example, these people in Nigeria have no clue what American politics is like, so they will like Trump and someone else who is actually a democrat. That's in conflict. Look for any signs of conflict! Also, many of these scammers will be far away. So, if you find someone who is from your city, chances are that's not a scammer. It could still be a sexual predator or something bad, but it's not a scammer. A scammer is a fake person who just wants you to fall in love quickly, and then they will start asking for money... The basic rule is that you do not exchange money until the ring is on your finger. So, if your boyfriend or fiance or girlfriend asks you for money, look at your finger. Does it have a wedding ring on it? If not, then don't give money regardless of what the story is. Scammers hate video chat. They never do video chat. Some people don't like live video, so no problem. Ask a few questions and tell the other person to respond in a recorded video. That's not live video. That's recorded video. They have a chance to edit it and re-record it if it doesn't turn out well. So, once they send you the recorded video, you can be sure they are real. Then a few months later you may ask them for their phone number or a picture of their drivers license to verify they're real. This is unnecessary most of the time, but some people are paranoid. If you're paranoid, you can take the picture of a drivers license to the local police station. And they can tell you if it's a criminal. Usually scammers will not pose as a woman with a disability and woman with children or woman with mental illness or an very fat unattractive woman. So, if you're talking to someone who is obviously not attractive, then chances are you're talking to a real person. Scammers create fake profiles that show attractive females. Ask them questions. Have a checklist of what you're looking for, and don't tell them what the right answers are! For example, ask them what they like to do on Halloween or whether they would date a guy who has been married before or has children or someone who has a disability. Ask them if they believe in the Trinity, Bible codes, predestination, the rapture, and pre-Adamic race. Most scammers are dumb as a rock. They won't even understand the questions.

chief_seattle

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 May, 2020 07:32 AM

Lol - spot on! You summed it up so well. There are way too many scammers here on this website. The lack of coherence, brevity, and horrible spelling on the 'about me' section on many profiles makes it obvious.

Page : 1 2