Author Thread: Confusing the Names of Jesus
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Confusing the Names of Jesus
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 08:42 AM

Article from Got Questions

Is Yeshua Hamashiach the proper Hebrew name/title for Jesus Christ?

Yeshua Hamashiach

Question: "Is Yeshua Hamashiach the proper Hebrew name/title for Jesus Christ?"

Answer: Yeshua Hamashiach means “Jesus the Messiah.” The name Jesus is the Greek form of the Hebrew name Yeshua, which is the shortened form of the name Yehoshua. From this Hebrew word we also get the name Joshua (Joshua 5:15) or Hoshea (Numbers 13:8; Deuteronomy 33:44). The name means “salvation” and is found more than often throughout the Old Testament. This is the name from which we get the Greek word Iesous, prounounced “yay-sus,” or as we say it, “Jesus.”

According to Messianic Jewish scholar Dr. Michael Brown, “The original Hebrew-Aramaic name of Jesus is yeshuˈa, which is short for yehōshuˈa (Joshua), just as Mike is short for Michael. The name yeshuˈa occurs 27 times in the Hebrew Scriptures, primarily referring to the high priest after the Babylonian exile, called both yehōshuˈa (see, e.g., Zechariah 3:3) and, more frequently, yeshuˈa (see, e.g., Ezra 3:2). So, Yeshua’s name was not unusual; in fact, as many as five different men had that name in the Old Testament. And this is how that name came to be ‘Jesus’ in English” (Brown, Michael L. “What Is the Original Hebrew Name for Jesus? And Is It True That the Name Jesus Is Really a Pagan Corruption of the Name Zeus?” Ask Dr. Brown. Jan 3, 2013. Web. Dec 27, 2016).

The Hebrew term Mashiach (or Messiah in English; Cristos, or Christ, in Greek) means “anointed one” and referred to a person who was set apart to serve Yahweh. In the Old Testament, God’s mashiachs were anointed with oil to symbolize the presence and authority of the Holy Spirit (Leviticus 4:3; 1 Samuel 12:14; 2 Samuel 19:21). God had promised Israel an ultimate Mashiach, or Messiah, and gave over 300 prophecies about this Anointed One so that they would recognize Him when He came (Isaiah 53:1; Psalm 22:27; 10:1–4; Daniel 9:25; 7:13). Jesus fulfilled every one of them, thus deserving the title Yeshua Hamaschiach for the Jewish people.

However, Jesus came into the world to offer salvation and forgiveness to everyone who calls upon His name (John 3:16–18; Acts 2:21). Surrounding His throne for all eternity will be people from “every nation, tribe, and tongue” (Revelation 7:9). God is not offended by our languages or our differences. Throughout the Bible, Yahweh even identified Himself by different names as He dealt with people in different ways (Exodus 3:14; Isaiah 48:12; Revelation 1:8). Jesus called Himself the “Son of Man” (Matthew 26:24; Luke 22:22), and others called Him “Teacher” (Matthew 8:19) and “Rabbi” (John 1:49). He never corrected anyone’s pronunciation or use of a messianic title, as long as the person came to Him in faith.

So the name we use for the Son of God, when we come to Him in faith, appears to be unimportant to Him. He hears our hearts, anyway, regardless of the words our mouths are speaking (Luke 9:47). In the words of Dr. Brown, “Do not be ashamed to use the name JESUS! That is the proper way to say his name in English—just as Michael is the correct English way to say the Hebrew name mi-kha-el and Moses is the correct English way to say the Hebrew name mo-sheh. Pray in Jesus’ name, worship in Jesus’ name, and witness in Jesus’ name. And for those who want to relate to our Messiah’s Jewishness, then refer to him by His original name Yeshua—not Yahshua and not Yahushua—remembering that the power of the name is not in its pronunciation but in the person to whom it refers, our Lord and Redeemer and King” (ibid.).

Recommended Resource: God the Son Incarnate: The Doctrine of Christ by Stephen Wellum

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 02:24 PM

Thanks David. I use Yeshua and I certainly don't believe Jesus is Zeus. Words can sound similar or even identical in different languages but have totally different meaning. Yeshua=Iesous=Jesus=Yesu=Joshua.

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 03:06 PM

Davey,

What kind of ridiculous nonsense are you posting here.

Yahshua, not yeshua is Hebrew, Messiah said I have come in my Fathers name.

Yahweh is the Fathers name, Yah is short for Yahweh.

Messiah also prays in John 17,

6 I have revealed Your name to those You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours; You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word.

7 Now they know that everything You have given Me comes from You.

8 For I have given them the words You gave Me, and they have received them. They knew with certainty that I came from You, and they believed that You sent Me.

9 I ask on their behalf. I do not ask on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those You have given Me; for they are Yours.

10 All I have is Yours, and all You have is Mine; and in them I have been glorified.

11 I will no longer be in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to You.

Holy Father, protect them by Your name, the name You gave Me,b so that they may be one as We are one.

12 While I was with them, I protected and preserved them by Your name, the name You gave Me.

Davey, the SON bears the name of the Father, What was the Fathers name when Messiah prayed this prayer,hmmmm, i thought so YAHWEH, or YAH for short.

Now what name did Messiah have,hmmmm oh yeah right YASHUA.

What was the name of Messiah when He died, hmmmm, oh yeah YASHUA.

What was He name when He resurrected, hmmmm, oh yeah YASHUA.

Messiah says Whatever you ask in My NAME, that will i do.

What was He name then,hmmmm, oh yeah YASHUA.

Now when did Messiah say that we could change His name, hmmmmm, oh yeah,right NEVER.

The letter ' J ' did not exist until 540+ years ago, so then how did the name of Messiah change from YASHUA, to Jesus.

Not one of the REVEALED Old Covenant names of GOD Almighty begin with Jesus, or Je, but rather YAHWEH or EL .

Let's see if this Old Covenant word spoken by Yeremiah holds true today.

Instead of BAAL, can we use the titles LORD, and GOD.

25"I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy falsely in My name, saying, 'I had a dream, I had a dream!' 26"How long? Is there [anything] in the hearts of the prophets who prophesy falsehood, even [these] prophets of the deception of their own heart, 27who intend to make My people forget My name by their dreams which they relate to one another, just as their fathers forgot My name because of Baal?

Messiah says in Matthew 28 verses 18 - 19

18 And YASHUA (Jesus ) came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.

19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,

Now Davey, what was the name of the Father, and the Son at this time, hmmmmm, oh yeah.

When did these names change.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 03:51 PM

Quiz, your last post makes no sense at all.

Please read the article again, sleep on it, get a good nights rest and call me in the morning.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 03:52 PM

Good observation Kris

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 04:43 PM

Davey,

The last post is about IMMERSING people INTO the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Teaching the names of GOD Almighty is not what is being done very often today.

By the way, i usually sleep 5 hours a night since i was a little terror.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 05:36 PM

Quiz seyz, “Davey, The last post is about IMMERSING people INTO the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Teaching the names of GOD Almighty is not what is being done very often today.

By the way, i usually sleep 5 hours a night since i was a little terror. End Quiz quote

Quiz, if your last post is about “immersing”, ya sure did take the long way around and I think ya still missed it!! Next time get ya some of that Hebrew GPS!

But seriously, you need to explain your post better because you didn’t introduce immersion until the end of your post.

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 05:57 PM

Davey,

My ingrish is bery bad, my classmates were Jethro Bodine and Elly May Clampette, and granny sure could make good vittles.

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 06:02 PM

Davey,

You should know what Matthew 28 verses 18 - 20 is abou, i posted a small teaching on this a few times over the past year.

Maybe you could find the post.

Myself, i find this technology stuff difficult to understand.

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jun, 2020 07:28 PM

**THE WONDERFUL NAMES OF JESUS CHRIST**!!

Jesus in English is Yeshua or Joshua in Hebrew and means **GOD IS HELP**!! Joshua in Hebrew is phonetically pronounced "YESHUA" since the "J" in Hebrew is pronounced "YEH". “Christ” comes from the Greek word "Christos", meaning “Anointed One” or “Chosen One.” This is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word Masheach, or “Messiah.” Jesus the Messiah in Hebrew is pronounced **YESHUA HA MASHEACH**

Matthew 1:21-23: The angel of the Lord said, " She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name **JESUS** {Which means **GOD IS HELP**}, because He will save His people from their sins." All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said {In Isaiah 7:14 below} through the prophet: "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a Son and they will all Him **IMMANUEL** which means **GOD WITH US**!"

Luke 2:9,10: An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them. The angel said, "I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a **SAVIOR** has been born to you; He is the **MESSIAH**, the **LORD**!"

Isaiah 7:14: "The Lord Himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a Son, and will call Him **IMMANUEL!" {Which means **GOD WITH US**! quoted in Matthew 1:23 above}

Isaiah 9:6: For to us a Child is born, to us a Son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called **WONDERFUL COUNSELOR** and **MIGHTY GOD**!

Titus 2:13,14: We wait for the **BLESSED HOPE**--the glorious appearing of our **GREAT GOD** AND **SAVIOR**, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for Himself a people that are **HIS VERY OWN**, eager to do what is good!!

John1:1-4,18: In th beginning was theWord, and he Word was with Go, and the **EORD WAS GOD. He was with with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was Lifeand that Lifeas the Light of all mankind.... No one has *}**THE WONDERFUL NAMES OF JESUS CHRIST**!!

Jesus in English is Yeshua or Joshua in Hebrew and means **GOD IS HELP**!! Joshua in Hebrew is phonetically pronounced "YESHUA" since the "J" in Hebrew is pronounced "YEH". “Christ” comes from the Greek word "Christos", meaning “Anointed One” or “Chosen One.” This is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word Masheach, or “Messiah.” Jesus the Messiah in Hebrew is pronounced **YESHUA HA MASHEACH**

Matthew 1:21-23: The angel of the Lord said, " She will give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name **JESUS** {Which means **GOD IS HELP**}, because He will save His people from their sins." All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said {In Isaiah 7:14 below} through the prophet: "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a Son and they will all Him **IMMANUEL** which means **GOD WITH US**!"

Luke 2:9,10: An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them. The angel said, "I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a **SAVIOR** has been born to you; He is the **MESSIAH**, the **LORD**!"

Isaiah 7:14: "The Lord Himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a Son, and will call Him **IMMANUEL!" {Which means **GOD WITH US**! quoted in Matthew 1:23 above}

Isaiah 9:6: For to us a Child is born, to us a Son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called **WONDERFUL COUNSELOR** and **MIGHTY GOD**!

Titus 2:13,14: We wait for the **BLESSED HOPE**--the glorious appearing of our **GREAT GOD** AND **SAVIOR**, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for Himself a people that are **HIS VERY OWN**, eager to do what is good!!

John 1:1-4,18: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the **WORD WAS GOD**. He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made. without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was Life , and that Light was the Light of all mankind... No one has ever seen God, but the One and Only Son, who is **HIMSELF GOD**and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made Him known!

**JESUS CHRIST** is also called **THE LAMB OF GOD** **THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE** **THE GOOD SHEPHERD** **JUDGE** **LORD OF LORDS** **HEAD OF THE CHURCH** **MASTER** **FAITHFUL AND TRUE WITNESS** **THE ROCK** **HIGH PRIEST** **THE DOOR** **LIVING WATER** **BREAD OF LIFE** **ROSE OF SHARON** **ALPHA AND OMEGA** **THE BEGINNING AND THE END** THE TRUE VINE** **TEACHER** **PROPHET** **ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD** **HOLY ONE** **ONLY MEDIATOR** **LIGHT OF THE WORLD** **IMAGE OF THE INVISIBLE GOD** **THE WORD** **CHIEF CORNERSTONE** **SAVIOR** **AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH** **THE ALMIGHTY** **KING OF KINGS** **PRINCE OF PEACE** **SON OF MAN** **REDEEMER** **BRIGHT MORNING STAR** **THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE**!!

Titus 2:13,14: We wait for the **BLESSED HOPE**---the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for Himself a people that are His very own, eager to do what is good!

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jun, 2020 08:15 AM

A Holy Spirit inspired full view of Isaiah 9:6 includes even more names for Jesus and should not be ignored because of one’s false belief.

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born,

to us a son is given,

and the government will be on his shoulders.

And he will be called

Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,

>>>Everlasting Father<<<, Prince of Peace.

Page : 1 2