Author Thread: I'm reading 'The God Chasers' by Tommy Tenney
Admin

I'm reading 'The God Chasers' by Tommy Tenney
Posted : 4 Oct, 2020 07:18 AM

So far, good book. I've left it for a time, coming back into it. But, he strikes home on a few very interesting points... Some churches get a 'drop' a drop of God's real presence, a sense of His glory, His conviction, and we weep and repent and seek after God's face. Then, we run around our towns or cites, telling people 'that the river is flowing' and Christian lingo, and God is here, come to our church! and come, you'll be changed and blessed! But, the searchers come, the unbelievers come, the 'burnt by other churches' people come to flow in the river, so to speak, and they find it is a miniscule drop of life! The status quo has come again. Stand up stand down, sing, drop some cash in a bucket, a 'hi' how are you, what do you do, and everyone whisks away to do their own thing. Yes God is a God of order, but the author is really saying to seek His presence, listen to Him, take time for God to show you what you are doing in the church representing Him. We are so busy with our 'programs' and revival outreaches, and selling God, or $elling God? emphasis mine with the $ sign... Are we listening to Him? God may anoint some for service in the church, but if His presence comes on you, the church, it's serious. His holiness is real. If God doesn't protect us while He visits us, we're dead! This is how awesome God is... Do we have a sense of His holiness? So, we run around screaming that God is here, at our church, and people come, and it's boring, status quo, mission statement (yawning) on the bulletin, and go through the motions, as God is a God of order... Yeah, but God may not be showing up because 'we're doing it' but not living it... Prayer, seeking His face, loving each other, really loving each other, seeking out the lost and broken in our ranks, "listening" to God, or rushing through our program. Pastors, don't hog the program, listen to God! What if He really shows up in His presence? Are you ready? Maybe God is protecting us by not revealing more of His Shakina glory in the building where we worship? If He did, and we are not ready, or not committed to Him, we could die. Yes, Jesus protects us, through Him, but do we really want this awesome, powerful, untamed, not religious God to show up? Really? I do, but I am dreadfully unprepared... Lets seek Him, shall we? enough with the status quo of the church. We are not an entertainment venue, or a social club. We are there to meet God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit. And there is a price to pay for this... Miniscule compared to His price, though. You willing to pay? Comments, observations, critiques? Suggestions?

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Oct, 2020 03:26 PM

What does the author mean by “listening to God”?

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Oct, 2020 07:10 PM

Hi, little David... Listening to God, would be 'be still and know that I am God." Awaiting His action, His direction, as He can lead in a group, or to one person, or to several. Waiting on Him, expecting that He will reveal Himself, but not pretentious waiting, but humble expectation, that God really wants to communicate with us...! That would be a 'listening' mode.

This can include, quieting the 'band' the 'choir' the sermon (gasp). We quiet ourselves in His presence. And isn't that where He can be found much of the time? His Word, the Bible, and His Word, Himself, The Word, revealing Himself through many ways. Miracles, confirmations, deliverances, etc. Elijah heard God's still small voice after the big weather eruptions, not in them, but after them... There is some wisdom nuggets in there for us to explore and dig! GOD wants us to be still. And, Little David, I have a hard time doing just that!

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Oct, 2020 08:01 PM

Thank you Frecks for the response.

I encourage you to read with caution anything written by this author.

He claims his pulpit was once split in two and he claims and teaches other strange things as well.

Those who claim that “miracles” are taking place around them just don’t know what a biblical miracle is.

To this date, I've never seen a biblical miracle taking place at any of the churches claiming to have them happening all the time.

One such fellow was a co-worker of mine at a mentally handicapped facility. He claimed he and his church performed many miracles. So, I challenged him to heal the mentally handicapped people closest to us at the facility. He stalled and stammered and admitted he “couldn’t do that” and neither could his church.

I’m loosing patience with frauds who take poor people’s money and make false claims but deliver “0” .

The God Chaser author is another fraud. Please please don’t be deceived!

I explore you respectfully to exercise caution

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Oct, 2020 08:03 PM

Implore not explore LOL!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2020 08:11 AM

I don't think he is a fraud... Tommy Tenney. I don't mind being challenged, but I think you lack something extremely important, while you are writing... It's the most important thing, actually... You'll have to figure it out?

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2020 08:20 AM

I also believe that his pulpit was split in two. You don't? It's okay... The way Tommy writes is not glorifying himself, from what I gather. I believe he knows Jesus Christ. So, to call him a fraud, is a big push... No red flags yet, for me, in the book, not finished yet.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Oct, 2020 01:44 PM

The only thing I figure I’m missing is gullibility.

You have to be gullible to believe Tommy’s exaggerations. I’ve already done my research on people like him. He’s all the way to the bank with your money