Author Thread: Sex Abuse By Aid Workers...
Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Sex Abuse By Aid Workers...
Posted : 2 Jan, 2021 07:27 AM

DNA has lifted the lid on "sex abuse" aid workers, who had been going abroad under the guise of administering aid.

DNA testing has exposed men from the USA, Canada, Australia, and a british banker who fathered two children in Haiti over twenty years ago...

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Jan, 2021 03:01 PM

There is a significant power imbalance between aid workers and the people affected by the natural disaster or conflict. Personally working in this field myself, less than a third of aid workers receive any forms of training to address this issue. Women and children are at the greatest risk of being raped or exploited for sexual favours when receiving humanitarian assistance.

As Christians, we should focus our donations to local churches in affected areas. That is most effective way to make a bigger and an everlasting impact. There is no better accountability mechanism than the fear of the Lord in one's heart.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Jan, 2021 12:45 AM

A lot has come to light over the past few years, particularly in the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti.

The lack of training is definitely an issue, training in what to do if you feel there's a cause for concern should be mandatory.

I agree with you about supporting organisations locally, I couldn't in good conscience support any charity.

That would turn a blind eye to the sexual abuse & exploitation of women & children they are charged with helping...

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jan, 2021 11:24 AM

Two of the big charities were implicated for turning a blind eye when concerns were raised.

One whistle blower was sacked I would never support them...

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jan, 2021 10:03 PM

3 common challenges exist to keep the sex offenders accountable in aid work.

1. The case must be reported and investigated within 48 hours. Enough credible evidence from credible sources must be gathered to in order to persecute the aid worker. If too much time passes by, the individual can easily hop into a new position (similar to what happens in some church denominations).

2. SEA (sexual exploitation and abuse) policies of the charities are outdated alongside the whistleblowing mechanisms. About 45% organizations continue to have outdated policies.

3. Survivors are reluctant to come forward. Investigations require their consent. Annually usually there is around 40-50 SEA investigations amongst the aid community. That number has increased since the big Oxfam scandal in 2018 when organizations scrambled to do damage control.

The Haitian diaspora and Church did much better humanitarian work than the Red Cross, UN or any other organization during the aftermath of the 2010 Haitian earthquake. As Christians, we can use our discernment to decide the best place where our help can go.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jan, 2021 09:34 AM

JJ-Dave thanks for sharing that was really informative, I wasn't aware there was a time limit for reporting a case.

I didn't know that about Haiti but I'm very pleased to hear it, those type of feel good stories tend not to make the news but it's warmed my heart...:-)