Author Thread: Smoking, Drinking & Promiscuity
watchman

View Profile
History
Smoking, Drinking & Promiscuity
Posted : 9 Jun, 2021 07:18 PM

I see quite a few profiles with smokers & alcohol users. Smokers and/or drinkers are in a statistically higher percentile for engaging in indiscriminate sexual activity. For those who smoke and/or drink and call yourselves Christians, how do you justify this behavior? And, since this is your lifestyle choice, why post on a Christian dating site?

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are." [1Corinthians 3:16-17]

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?  For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." [1Corinthians 6:19-20]

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." [Romans 12:1-2]

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Jun, 2021 05:13 PM

Sorry about the double take

LittleDavid

View Profile
History

LittleDavid

View Profile
History

watchman

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Jun, 2021 07:13 PM

If quoting the Word of God is being defensive, what do you suggest?

"God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged." [Romans 3:4]

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jun, 2021 02:21 PM

There’s a difference between defending your position and being defensive. And of course, merely quoting scripture doesn’t necessarily mean you’re being defensive.

Nevertheless, you attempted to defend your position but it’s also clear you were being defensive about it.

First of all, you based your awkward defense on a few verses that were removed from the original contexts and inserted them into a foreign context dealing with smoking and drinking.

I encourage you to use more caution about citing scripture in support your arguments.

Interpreting scripture as intended by its author/s cannot be overstated. In your case, you missed point of the fuller context entirely. I’m prepared to write more on contextual understanding if you still need help.

But, I’m sure you will try referring to the passage in Proverbs about wine being a mocker. But the passage hardly forbids drinking wine anymore than Paul encourages drunkenness when he recommends that Timothy take a little wine for his stomach and frequent illnesses.

It’s imperative for us to stay within the original meaning and scope of scripture and stop trying to invent fictional sins and false contexts to beat people with.

You might think I’m defending all kinds of smoking and drinking. But I would rather extend caution to any activity, not just smoking and drinking, but to ANYTHING in life that takes control of a person and which draws that person away from godly obedient living and thwarts his fellowship with God.

watchman

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Jun, 2021 01:39 AM

What scriptural context are your comments based on?

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Jun, 2021 08:21 AM

The comments in the passages before and after the verses you cited.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Jun, 2021 08:21 AM

The comments in the passages before and after the verses you cited.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Jun, 2021 08:22 AM

Sorry about those stupid double sends

watchman

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Jun, 2021 11:57 PM

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man" [Ecclesiastes 12:13]

Page : 1 2 3