Author Thread: Weddings
Admin

Weddings
Posted : 16 Oct, 2009 08:37 PM

Anyone else have trouble attending weddings?

Happy2222

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 17 Oct, 2009 05:54 AM

I recently did a wedding where the very feminist bride chose to take her husbands last name.

She explained, she would rather have the last name of the man she picked, than the last name of the man her mother picked!

SHALOM

Dan

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 17 Oct, 2009 01:38 PM

i don't get invited to too many, those aren't my circles at my age. And the ones i have are usually relatives, so its not an issue.

but i do know what you may be referring to in your post. For me, its attending church services alone, as it was always a traditional family activity (children/spouse). I've attended the before/after socials following the services, but i get ignored there as well, even when i try to start a conversation.

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 17 Oct, 2009 08:14 PM

Funny story (or at least I think It Is.)

I use to almost hate going to weddings, because It was kind of depressing In a way..dont get me wrong, I was happy for the two who were getting married but sad for myself.

Back In August I attended my guy friends wedding we were off and on for almost a year..and we had decided a few months prior to his wedding that It would be best for us to remain friends...so he started talking to a girl that he had known for a long time and within four months they were married..(I just wanted to clarify the fact that we weren't both dating him at the same time In case any of you were wondering! lol)

Anyway..I remember sitting there thanking God that I was not the one up there! lol I use to go home all depressed after weddings but I was just fine and dandy when I left his wedding!

Maybe, It was only because I was happy that we had both came to our senses and realized that we werent right for eachother before It got that far! :ROFL: (the things I get myself Into!)

ian777

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 18 Oct, 2009 03:52 AM

Yes, nothing spurns more hope, joy, and sorrow in the hearts of singles than to hear those words "We're getting married!" or to go to a wedding....and go home single again.

But a few years ago, I learned a profound question. Okay, quite a few years ago... don't make me go there :laugh:

- I had been burned BAD in my first attempt to pursue a woman. She got married to another guy - long, painful story that would take too long to explain. Let's just say that I was so hurt, that I avoided weddings for the next year - and when I drove by one, I wanted to swear in my mind. One day, this happened, and the Lord spoke up: "Do not curse what I have instituted."

I clammed up pretty quick after that, realizing what I had been doing. I began to focus more on the beauty and symbolism of marriage. It's still hard going to a wedding -sure, but I take lots of notes for my future wedding.

Ian

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 19 Oct, 2009 11:20 AM

I know exactly what you all mean. I told someone recently that I'm just not going to weddings anymore...but I guess I'll keep going, and just deal with all the emotions. I'm a musician, so I have to play for a few weddings each year. Often, I know either the bride or groom fairly well, and those are the hardest to attend and play for. I have to smile (which I do), be happy for the couple (I really am), attend the rehearsal dinner (alone), attend the wedding (alone), and attend the reception (alone). What's even worse is when I have to talk to people that I haven't seen in a long time...they usually ask "So, are you getting married any time soon? No? You aren't engaged yet? No? Oh, well you are seeing someone, right? No? I'm so sorry...we'll keep you in our prayers." I HATE conversations like that! Much as I would love to get married, being single is not some terrible disease!

Playing for a stranger's wedding is much easier. I'm never invited to any of the dinners or receptions, so I just show up, do my thing, and pick up my paycheck. For a couple hundred $$ an hour, I don't mind!

My favorite weddings: the ones where I am honestly thankful that I'm not the one up there marrying that guy! :ROFL:

Phoebe2

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 20 Oct, 2009 09:48 AM

Oh yeah , more than anything. I just recently attended two, and was deeply involved in the process. I was happy for them, but it feels sad & reminds how lonely u still live.

But sure there is hope in Him, and I know that His timing is way better than my choices.

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 21 Oct, 2009 03:55 PM

that's interesting. until now i never thought about it, but there's never really been a wedding where afterward thought 'wow, i'm really glad i went to that.'

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 21 Oct, 2009 05:18 PM

I went to two wedding this past summer with a date and it was a week after my ex husband passed away, that was hard, very hard.

I had to make myself focus on the fact that it was about the couple and not me so~~~ya~~we just have to be other people and be thankful for the promises of God in our lives.

Linnie41

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 27 Oct, 2009 03:37 AM

Here I am, the odd duck once again. Lol. I think weddings are awesome and I never really feel alone, even when attending one by myself. I know what you mean, but I am so fortunate in life - I have a family - many don't. I have kids - many are trying but can't conceive. I have a house to live in - some live on the streets. I have enough food, I have clothes to wear, I have no disabilities, I have an education, I live in a safe town...my blessings are endless. Once in awhile I think of how nice it would be to have someone to cuddle up to, but then I remember how nice it is to not have to check with someone on what I spend, or where I'm going, or when I'll be back. I guess what I'm saying is that there is a good side to every place that God has us in. For the moment, I will rejoice in being single - that could change someday, and I know there will be times I'll miss it!! Lol

Tarasye

View Profile
History
Weddings
Posted : 27 Oct, 2009 06:17 AM

I think they are awesome too Linnie, and I may at times feel that slight twinge of envy when I see wonderful relationship and hope one day to have that myself, but Trusting in the Lord My God who makes all wonderful things possible, I know my day will come, if not in this world, then in the next, and I am patient and can wait. After all, the Best things in Life are worth waiting for.

Tarasye

Page : 1 2