Author Thread: John 14:1 calming 😟 troubled hearts ❤️ with trust and hope😃 in Jesus Christ ✝️🕊️
homelesschristian

View Profile
History
John 14:1 calming 😟 troubled hearts ❤️ with trust and hope😃 in Jesus Christ ✝️🕊️
Posted : 21 Jul, 2023 10:52 AM

🙂💯👍 With commentaries from some of the greats ‼️

a command to calm the troubled heart

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.”

Let not your heart be troubled: The disciples had reason to be troubled. Jesus had just told them that one of them was a traitor, that all of them would deny Him, and that He would leave them that night. All of this would legitimately trouble the disciples, yet Jesus told them, let not your heart be troubled.

Jesus never wanted us to have life without trouble, but He promised that we could have an untroubled heart even in a troubled life.

This was in some sense a command. “The form of the imperative me tarassestho implies that they should ‘stop being troubled.’ ‘Set your heart at ease’ would be a good translation.” (Tenney)

Jesus didn’t say, “I’m happy you men are troubled and filled with doubts. You’re doubts are wonderful.” “He takes no delight in the doubt and disquietude of his people. When he saw that because of what he had said to them sorrow had filled the hearts of his apostles, he pleaded with them in great love, and besought them to be comforted.” (Spurgeon)

“His disciples felt His departure like a torture. And it was then that He consoled them with such simple and glorious speech that all Christendom is the debtor to their agony.” (Morrison)

You believe in God, believe also in Me: Instead of giving in to a troubled heart, Jesus told them to firmly put their trust in God and in Jesus Himself. This was a radical call to trust in Jesus just as one would trust in God the Father, and a radical promise that doing so would bring comfort and peace to a troubled heart.

“What signalizes Him, and separates Him from all other religious teachers, is not the clearness or the tenderness with which He reiterated the truths about the Father’s love, or about morality, and justice, and truth, and goodness; but the peculiarity of His call to the world is, ‘Believe in Me.’” (Maclaren)

“One who seems a man asks all men to give Him precisely the same faith and confidence that they give to God.” (Meyer)

There is some debate as how the verb tenses of this verse should be regarded. It is possible that Jesus meant, You must believe in God, you must also believe in Me (imperative) or it is possible that He meant, You do believe in God, you also do believe in Me (indicative). On balance, the best evidence seems to be that Jesus meant this as a command or an instruction to the disciples.

· “The verb believe both times is imperative.” (Alford)

· “In view of the preceding imperative it is in my judgment best to take both forms as imperative. Jesus is urging His followers to continue to believe in the Father and to continue to believe also in Him.” (Morris)

“Jesus’ solution to perplexity is not a recipe; it is a relationship with him.” (Tenney)

Streetevangelist520^

View Profile
History
John 14:1 calming 😟 troubled hearts ❤️ with trust and hope😃 in Jesus Christ ✝️🕊️
Posted : 21 Jul, 2023 04:23 PM

Amen to all you have said, homelesschristian. Great biblical article.

homelesschristian

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jul, 2023 04:37 PM

Thank you Street all glory to God ‼️