Author Thread: My family forgot my birthday, again..
HazelEyesSparkle

View Profile
History
My family forgot my birthday, again..
Posted : 10 Aug, 2023 11:00 PM

Hello everyone, I need some advice here. I just had a birthday a day ago and I woke up and had absolutely barely any of my family say happy birthday. My mom was in the hospital so I had to pick her up later that day and the entire day my brothers left and they were talking about their food and gym and left me at home.

I had to buy my own lunch and came home to nothing again. My family started watching tv and ignoring me doing their own thing. I was seething so I left the house for hours and did not even open my cards and gifts.

Today was my mom's birthday and I went all out, as I always do, to put a tablecloth and special plates. My brother gave her roses and they had a really nice cake while they gave me a cheap store bought stale cake. My mom definitely should have nice things but I got totally slighted.

There was absolutely nothing remembered or special on my day. Even last year, I treated everyone to a movie and no one again took me out to eat. I had to buy my own dinner.

I am still so angry. I explained myself but no one seems to care. What should I do?

HazelEyesSparkle

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Aug, 2023 12:05 AM

Sorry I meant to also add they bought a full dinner today but didn't buy me even food yesterday

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Aug, 2023 08:57 AM

Just speak Openly to Your family like you are posting here to Strangers.

Maybe they will give you the answers.

Gifts is nice but that doesn't mean love.

Look at what love is in the Bible.

HazelEyesSparkle

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Aug, 2023 12:54 PM

I already spoke to them, I'm coming online to get opinions not speak randomly to strangers

austin93a^

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2023 01:41 PM

first time?

austin93a^

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2023 01:41 PM

first time?

austin93a^

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2023 01:44 PM

if you told them how you feel and they don't care then it's a battle you're not going to win.

austin93a^

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2023 01:55 PM

wait I just reread your post... they forgot your birthday but they got you gift's??? umm tell me again how they forgot you???

entitled much?

HazelEyesSparkle

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2023 05:45 PM

Every single person in my family gets a day planned. Like dinner etc. For some reason they slighted mine almost didn't even get a cake and had two unwrapped gifts. No atmosphere etc.

austin93a^

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2023 07:04 PM

typical american women and their entitlement. 🙄they didn't have to give or do anything for you. furthermore as a christian you shouldn't be so material and expecting of gifts.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Aug, 2023 04:53 PM

Uh, hold the phone a second. Before we jump to conclusions like “entitlement” and so forth, I think I would like to understand the situation here a little better.

Hazel*, can you give a little more detail about your family dynamics? Did your family seem to forget your birthday when you were younger too? I just want to make sure I understand what’s going on.

The reason I’m confused is because I’m as close to my family as any 30-something could ever hope to be but I haven’t really gotten any more for my birthdays than what you’ve described since entering adulthood. When you’re young, sure, there’s cake and gifts, a party, maybe a theme, relatives, and so-on. It’s a lot easier to buy gifts for a 10-year-old than it is a 30-year old. By our age most of “hub-bub” over birthdays is over. The attention usually shifts to the next generation of kids. Are you sure it’s not something like this that you’re experiencing?

Page : 1 2