Author Thread: Gambling, Stewardship & Entertainment.
Admin

Gambling, Stewardship & Entertainment.
Posted : 4 Nov, 2009 11:44 AM

Hi Everyone,

Here is something to think about.

When we consider being a good steward of God's money and let's say we do give, is it wrong then to take some of the money we earn and take a vacation?

Suppose you want to buy a lottery ticket for entertainment and of course hopes of God blessing you with those winnings. Is that wrong and if so prove your opinion with clear scriptures....if you can.

Suppose you want to go to a theme park and you spend 100.00 that day for you and your family or a date. How is that any different than buying a lottery ticket.

What would be the difference in playing the stock market where you could lose everything and buying a lottery ticket?

What would make one right and the other wrong.

Please...I do ask that you give this some serious thought first and then...if you can...prove your point with scriptures. Because without scriptures to support your opinion, your opinion is merely that, an unsupported opinion. Let's see if we can find God's truth in all of this and dispel any false teachings.

Blessings!

In Christ,

Walter

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Nov, 2009 03:18 PM

Good challenge my brother.I will work on this right away.I will put somestudy into it.Dennis:prayingf:

Tarasye

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Nov, 2009 03:24 PM

You raise some rally Great Points here Walter, and in keeping with that thought, I would like to take that a little further in what I call the Joy of Enough.

I see many around me speak of the Lord's abundant blessing, yet with that blessing comes responsibility that many choose to ignore. How many of us ask ourselves, how much is enough?

How much house? How much car? How much in the bank? How much in our closets?

Is it merely a comfortable shelter that is home for the love within it, or is it love for the shelter for the lack of warmth from within?

Is it reliable transportation or is it the latest, the greatest, the shiniest, the best that we can afford, an accessory that becomes us?

How much in the bank? You know, I really have no clue what a magic number like that would look like. But even in the midst of not enough, do we hoard our meager excess, or do we use it to bless others.

How much in our closets or maybe that should read, workshops or garages? Does it suit or needs or do we need the suits? What is enough?

No matter where you are you can look around and see the less fortunate, those that need a hand up. Food banks are running with barren shelves trying to keep up with the need. What is in our cupboards? How much do we waste?

So much of this goes back to a post Ole Cattle gave us last week on Choices. What is enough? Are the smallest of your choices (for vacations, outings, lottery choices etc) decisions that bring you closer to your walk with faith or your own selfish nature?

Are you shopping at Walmart or Neiman Marcus? Are you dining at the local cafe or the most expensive dining hot spot where you have to have reservations, and a tie and there are no prices on the menu?

What could you do with the difference in those funds? What would you do with the difference in those funds? Would you spend them on yourself or your loved ones or would you pray about it, consult where the Lord might have you delegate them? A food pantry, a shelter, a nursing home, a ministry.

Do our choices lift up others or do our choices merely lift up ourselves? What is enough? I have been praying this week about my choices, for I think if we admit it, we all could make more choices for God and less choices toward our own selfish nature.

Thanks Walter, and Thanks Ole Cattle for really calling it for what it is, for we all need to concentrate more on our choices and make them for God and not for our own selfishness. With the up coming Thanksgiving season, pray to learn the value of enough.

Tarasye

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Nov, 2009 03:42 PM

Temperance in all things that don't go against the bible. Gambling isn't "unbiblical"...but I believe there is no doubt that it is wasteful and harmful to a healthy spiritual life...and to think maybe God is going to "bless you with winnings" is...I dunno...kinda presumptuous. If God was going to "bless you with money" I'm almost certain that it would involve hard work. Not saying gambling is the only thing on this planet that is harmful....but it is one thing. Spending $100 for a fun-filled day with your family seems like a better/non-addictive investment. Buy one lottery ticket. If you don't win on the first shot then the chances are....God doesn't want you to play the lottery...just my opinion. Where your treasure is...that's where your heart is. If you long for treasure here, then there's a problem.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Nov, 2009 04:10 PM

About stewdradship,

The 10 virgins went to their master in the night.Some did not take enough oil for the lamp.As for stocks and 401K's.Social security is not going to take care of us.It is not enough.We need something to get us by in our old age.In the 1900's and early 20 century parents lived with thw children.That has changed now and we have changed with that.The stock market goes up and down.

Over a period of time it will go up and you will gain.If you want to own part of a company stock is a good way to do it.:waving:

:peace: I would say invest carefully,think it over.

Happy2222

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Nov, 2009 08:56 AM

God wants us to have the best and to be HOLY, not happy. If we are in God's will we are happy!

Gambling means we want to take money away from other by our wits. How does the other person win and thank God for putting you in their life. We should always look for win-win in our dealings.

Shalom

Dan

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Nov, 2009 03:46 PM

about gambling look up these verses.matthew6:24-34 also,

hebrews13:5-6

Both speak of the love of money.Put your trust in god.

About saving money stewardship- Joseph and the pharoh give that answer.God had them save wheat during the 7 good years for the 7 bad years Always put something away for the bad times.

Your brother in christ,Dennis

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Nov, 2009 12:19 PM

Great posts!!

Very thought provoking Tarasye!!

Thank yall!!

T

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Nov, 2009 09:57 PM

Good replies and I will give some more things to think about. But alas I am home from work, tired and need to hit it soon.

Have a Blessed Day in Church!

Walter