Author Thread: Do you prejudge people online? I do :-(
Marika

View Profile
History
Do you prejudge people online? I do :-(
Posted : 14 Dec, 2009 06:00 AM

I have a question for guys and ladies: so - do you prejudge people on this site, or any other online site when you see their photo?

I caught myself that I do it more often than I would like to admit it; and to be honest, I don't like that but still I keep doing it. When I am on line, usually I go only through the photos, I even don't bother read ing profiles without photos. I do have on explanation for that - I think a good one: if someone doesn't want to put a photo but mine is on, somehow I don't trust those people. I might be wrong but that is how it is: I love to know who I am talking to. Then, when I see a person that looks 'nice' to me, I take the time to read what they have written and then I decide if I want to talk to them or not.

Now I think that it is wrong. I was just thinking about couple of people that I know and, if I came accross their photo (lets suppose that I don't know them) - I would never notice them and the truth is that even though they do not look 'nice' to me I find them very attractive :rolleyes:. Funny - isn't it?

May the Lord help help us all who do that - starting with me :angel:.

Have a blessed day!

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Dec, 2009 11:43 AM

I don't "judge" people by their photo, but it is a dating site and I like to be attracted to people that I'd date. If God has other plans He'll show me.

:peace::peace:

david3by9

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Dec, 2009 02:51 PM

I think we all have a filter that we use when looking at people. Whether this is good or bad, I won't say. I will say that God does give us a sense about some people sometimes, and if indeed it is the Lord, we need to heed those things. That said, we can be wrong. I have had people say things to me that were totally off base, and I knew that it was more of their own thoughts or something that an ex spouse might have done or said and they weren't seeing past their past. We need God to lead and guide our intentions and our heart. For the heart is deceitful and wicked the scriputure says, That is why we need His word to divide between soul and Spirit. And it will, if we allow Him to speak to us through His Holy Spirit.

God Bless, David

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Dec, 2009 05:57 PM

I know I prejudge people online based on their lack of photo. I think I have a legitimate reason: if I am willing to take the risk of posting several photos of myself, why can't other people do the same? Are they hiding something? Probably not, but it still bothers me.

If they do have a photo, I try not to judge based on looks because I have no good reason to do so. In my experiences, some of the cutest guys turn out to be the exact opposite of what I hoped for, and some of the least attractive guys have a great personality.

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Dec, 2009 02:45 PM

Freinds recently I was told too change my age range because somebody wanted to ask me a persomal question about a post.

We all have our wants.But, we should be flexable.Beat our flesh daily as Paul would say.

I have wrote some people without a pic.When I was 1st new hear I had no pic.It took me a week tofind pics.is the person new here?

if they hav been around for awhile and have np pic, I do not write that lady,ok.

sometimes we need to change to adjust to others needs.Just a thought.

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Dec, 2009 08:49 PM

i don't look at profiles without a photo either. Mostly for the same reasons as already listed. I have my preferences listed when i do a search. However, i don't do searches as much as i use to. I think men are more picky than they say they are or are not really wanting to date but just look. Maybe? Also, a man standing next to a motorcycle can be a deal breaker for me...nothing about them, just my past creeping in...i tend to judge them by wondering if they are in their mid-life crisis. done that...no thank you!

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Dec, 2009 01:08 PM

Eh, I think you're kinda treading a fine line between judging people and having a preference? I mean, if beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, then don't we have to have something to behold? There's nothing wrong with having preferences. And I don't think having preferences is judging the person that doesn't fit your preferences. I think judging someone more or less would be to completely condemn that person or to remove yourself from associating with a person in every aspect because you feel they're not "on your level".. But you can not be attracted to someone and still have a great friendship with them. Most of us do it everyday..

Marika

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Dec, 2009 04:27 AM

Thanks for all who took the time to read my question and thanks to all of you who posted a reply - it helped :applause:.

I guess there is nothing wrong with having preferences as long as those preferences are not limiting God to bring the best He has into our lives ....

Best regards and God bless you all :prayingm: :angel:

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Dec, 2009 06:24 PM

In a way I judge people based on their appearance, but in other ways I don't. For instance, I really don't mind what kind of clothes you have on as long as they're clean and cover your body. At the same time.. I am -super- picky about hairstyles. If I find a picture of a woman with extremely short hair, plus it's in pigtails(I have this hatred for most up-dos for some reason, especially with short hair), then I can't even bring myself to talk to the person, even if it's in real life.

But thankfully those occasions are rare. I'm much more interested in the person behind the mask rather than the mask itself.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Dec, 2009 11:08 AM

I still think when you're looking for a potential marriage partner...preferences are just about everything, aside from the default "relationship with God". You do not have to marry people. If you can handle it, it's better NOT to get married at all. Judging a person, and judging someone you want to live with for the rest of your life are completely separate. Everyone has different tastes, and I'm pretty sure we're all guilty of judging on some level. You're even judging people when you say they are judging people. It's a dating site...and I don't think we're supposed to marry the first person that sends us a message...so...how do you tell if you're going to like them? By judging them. Not their motives, not their relationship with God...their compatibility to you and what you're looking for. Now...if God calls you up and says "marry the first person that emails you", then you probably should...but otherwise...use your discernment.

:peace::peace: