Author Thread: Drinking
jimmypeters27

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 10 Mar, 2010 10:52 AM

Why do Christians think it is ok to drink socially knowing the Word of God says be sober minded?

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 13 Mar, 2010 03:43 AM

dear lynn, welcome to the forums.

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 14 Mar, 2010 10:40 AM

I believe that God's grace is made perfect in our sinful ways.

To drink, to commit(think of) adultery, to murder(hate) our brother etc, are all the things that sinners do. Just because you now know Jesus isn't gonna miraculously stop you from sinning. You may be able to suppress the urge to sin for a while but it will happen sooner or later as long as you are living on planet earth.

Non-believers have the idea that to be a Christian you need to follow the 10 commandments, they think its all about following a set of rules. And who gave them that idea? Christians.

The point of the 10 commandments or any other law created by God was to help identify for us the difference between a Holy God and a sinful people. He was basically putting us into our place: sinners.

The moment we forget our place, we are no longer walking under His grace.

To sin is only natural for us to do, so to drink or not to drink is not the issue. The issue is your faith and my faith in what God has given us so graciously, which is His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, Who became the eternal sacrifice for our sins that we may live through Him, by faith.

So lets just concentrate on serving our Master to the best that we individually can and introduce many others to His amazing grace.

Bless.

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 14 Mar, 2010 06:45 PM

dear folks, i dont believe that havin a drink is sinful..

to drink and be drunk yes that would be i believe..

the bible actually gives verses for who can have a drink and for who not to have drinks..

as for me i quit drinkin bout 14 years ago now i recon..

i dont want any.. but i dont condemn anyone for havin a few drinks.. the sin is the drunkard.. not from just havin a drink..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 15 Mar, 2010 09:28 PM

I agree that religiosity is negative as well as Christians fighting amongst themselves over subjects that are not paramount to matters of salvation and doing the will of God. If we spent more time loving and serving each other, we would not have time to bicker over whether or not one should drink a glass of wine or whether or not you chose God or He elected you or does God always want you to be healed or whatever. I doubt very much that Billy Graham, Mother Teresa, Hudson Taylor or St. Francis of Assisi spent time arguing over such things. They were too busy loving, sharing and serving others.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 16 Mar, 2010 07:39 AM

Hmm...I really doubt the wine that was passed around at the last supper was alcoholic. There is such a concept as "new wine" in the bible. Unfermented grape juice. I do not think Jesus ever drank alcoholic wine...the bible forbids princes, kings, priests, and judges from drinking....and Jesus is/was all four. As far as drinking goes, if people can handle themselves with restraint, then that's fine. But it seems kinda..."not too smart" to me to put yourself in any position with a weakened moral will. Alcohol is a dangerous substance. Destroys jobs, relationships, families, marriages, lives...if you think you can dabble in it safely then go ahead. I'd rather not...and I think that's the wiser choice. However....I do plenty of other "unwise" stuff...so feel free to call me a hypocrite:laugh:.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 16 Mar, 2010 09:27 AM

dear zeph, welcome to the forums..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 16 Mar, 2010 10:13 AM

Paul drank wine to calm his stomach.He does write about this.

I think those who said dothat drinking is a sin should remember Paul had some wine everyday.

When I was in eatern Europe visiting friends they drank vodka.

Why-because the water is not very good.It makes you sick so the people drink other things.A shot of vodka will not hurt you at meal time.

However, I am on meds and can not drink anything except communion wine. Witch is just a sip.

I think Paul may have had stomach problems so he drank wine.

Dennis

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 17 Mar, 2010 12:46 AM

Dennis, you always make me laugh!! :ROFL:

Maybe Paul had stomach problems because he drank wine...:toomuch: :buddies:

We'll never know. Haha!

T :)

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 17 Mar, 2010 06:11 PM

Brown eye I notice my grammer is off.It should be which not witch. I was late in taking my meds.It effects my spelling sometimes.:applause:

I need spell check.:ROFL:

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 20 Mar, 2010 11:08 AM

Almost everbody in the bible drank wine, REAL WINE not grape juice or anything else. Jesus drank it, Daniel drank it , Solomon, Isiah, David, Moses, almost anybody you can name in the bible drank real wine. Wine has health benefits if you don't abuse it 3 or 4 cups of wine a week (1 cup a day) with your meal is not a bad thing at all.

Think about it moses and the hebrews drank wine at every passover to celebrate there freedom from Egypt, and Jesus drank real wine as a symbol of his blood to celebrate the freedom from sin itself.

The problem comes when you abuse wine, and use it purposely to get drunk, or use it for a purpose other than what it was intended for. Wine itself is not a bad drink the abuse of it is, because then it becomes a whole different sin it becomes idolatry. If you drink large amounts of wine or any alcohol everyday just to get drunk, or you have to have a drink everytime you go out socially then it has control over your life, it has become a form of god to you and that is wrong.

The bible says abstain from strong drink as in there are some alcoholic beverages stronger than others like fermented corn that makes moonshine, and things that we drink today like Vodka and Cognac. Anything that comes from the earth plant or animal can cause you to sin in the same way wine can, for instance to much food causes glutany. its not about the letter of the law its about the intentions of your heart.

Page : 1 2 3