Author Thread: Drinking
jimmypeters27

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 10 Mar, 2010 10:52 AM

Why do Christians think it is ok to drink socially knowing the Word of God says be sober minded?

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 22 Mar, 2010 07:26 PM

As Christians we often do the very thing that God tells us not to do, we judge others. We are all working out our own salvation with fear and trembling. We have the holy spirit on the inside to guide us and lead us into all righteousness. We don't have to be each other's judge.

If we would take the energy that we use judging each other to get the beam out of our own eye we wouldn't have strength or time to judge our brother.

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 22 Mar, 2010 10:41 PM

Amen

Lynn74

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 1 Apr, 2010 11:12 AM

Why do I always confuse rather with whether lol. Maybe it's God's way of keeping me humble. Sorry for the grammatical/spelling errors. I was not an English major :/.

I think everyone who wrote on this thread is coming from the right place. We all want to serve God to the full extent of our abilities. We all want as many to make it as possible; and that is beautiful.

It does my heart good to know that so many truly have a heart to know God!

alabanza

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 1 Apr, 2010 06:10 PM

Hello and peace to all

I have to agree with thunder on this one

and as lynn stated

we are not under law

but under grace

two good points

and with great scripture

to back it up.

:bouncy:

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 4 Apr, 2010 12:26 PM

blind post.

because drinking socially =/= getting drunk.

Hamilton727

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 14 Aug, 2010 07:17 PM

If you want true meaning of the word wine used in the bible its very smart to obtain Strongs exhaustive concordance and compare the word in OT hebrew and also greek NT the word wine used in both old a new testament there is fermented wine(alcohol) and unfermented wine (no alcohol) any time the Bible says its ok to drink wine its talking about unfermented wine when the Bible says its bad its talking about fermented wine so I Believe a its sin and a Christian canot have true fellowship with Christ and drink no matter what moderation Solomon wrote about it perfectly in proverbs 20: 1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise. Also in Proverbs 23:30-32 (King James Version)

30They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

31Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

32At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

View Profile
History
Drinking
Posted : 12 Nov, 2011 10:36 PM

To say that the wine used in Biblical times was not alcoholic is just foolish. Do you REALLY think Paul would warn against drinking too much grape juice? The reason it was fermented, was for preservation! Just like the saying that "When in Mexico, don't drink the water." Similarly, in Biblical times, they did not have many choices of what to drink. Often times, it was down to 2 choices: A) drink water and get sick or B) drink wine and worry about getting drunk.

Two more points: First, I have never consumed alcohol because I personally am convicted to avoid it as I don't want one more temptation to add to the mix. I don't force my conviction onto others as that would then cease to be conviction and turn into condemnation.

Second, I do not feel that living in "grace" means having kegs at small groups! I stand against this practice that many in the largest church in my state called Mars Hill have been known to do. We need to be wise and look out for the interests of others which means not causing them to stumble. I know a man who battled alcoholism and when he saw the kegs at his small group, he had a panic attack. He was greatly affected by this huge stumbling block. He didn't drink but it put him in a negative space which was not conducive for his personal growth.

Page : 1 2 3