Author Thread: is Sabbath really a must for God's people?
Admin

is Sabbath really a must for God's people?
Posted : 1 Apr, 2010 05:42 AM

i do believe that we cannot be saved trough works but it is by the works that we can manifest our gratitude to the grace that God has given to each one of us.

in the same way, keeping the Sabbath does not guarantee my salvation..i am already saved by grace, why should i not keep the Sabbath when HE has saved me already?it's the sign that i accept His redemptive act for me..we just have to be grateful to Him..

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Apr, 2010 05:18 AM

ALL our works are as filthy rags,the only thing that pleases God is the robe of Ritiousness we wear as believers in Christ! Or are we saying that Christ's work on the Cross was not enough,we must do more to please God?

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 May, 2010 06:07 AM

God said,"if u love me keep my commands".

how could u explain that one?

GuyWithWebsite

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 May, 2010 08:57 PM

Does anyone disagree that keeping sabbath is a healthy thing to do spiritually? Lets just agree on that. As far as it being a literal commandment which it is a SIN to disbobey, my answer to those who teach it is is that the New Testament goes on and on about what a Christian must do and not do: avoid fornication, adultery, lust etc. Love the brothers, love your neighbor, take up cross and follow Him.

These are the things which the New Testament exhorts us to do and they are the difficult things. Keeping sabbath is clearly a beneficial activity, if it is done TO COMMUNE AND HONOR THE LORD, not to keep some technical rule. The same goes for Tithing. It is good to do, but there is no rule in the New Testament.

I believe that as people grow in the Lord they will tend towards keeping the sabbath, just as they will grow toward and beyond tithing.

So my opinion is, you do well to keep sabbath. But you err by pretending it rises above the things we are repeatedly exhorted to do. It does not take the Holy Spirit to keep the sabbath. An unbeliever can keep sabbath much better than we can. Some jews will not even turn on a light switch on sabbath...but deny Jesus.

If the apostles thought it was a sin against God to not keep it, I think they would have mentioned that. Paul certainly would have. But again, I believe it is a sign of spiritual growth that God will honor with his presence, if it is done in faith.

GuyWithWebsite

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 May, 2010 09:14 PM

My uncertainty:

And just so that it will be clear where I am coming from, I am not clear if the Sabbath is a fixed day, or if any 7th day will do. If it is a fixed day, then I agree with those who say it is Saturday and not Sunday.

I think the argument that the church replaced saturday with sunday is an argument based on assumptions and tradition. All we know is that they did sometimes meet on Sunday. This could mean something and could mean absolutely nothing.

After all, its hard to read the New Testament and believe they were meeting only one day a week. They probably met lots of days. And the fact that there is no mention of a meeting on saturday is hardly surprising. During the beginning, it would have been hard for them to meet on Saturday, since their primary ministry was to the Jews, and to preach to them they had to attend the synagogue on Saturday. The book of acts clearly shows this is what they were doing, going to synagogue on Saturday to preach to other jews.

It seems likely that Sunday did have special significance because the discovery of the resurrection, as well as the day of pentacost were on Sunday. It is also possible that that is the day called the Lord's day in Revelation.

But as I see it, the cold hard fact is that if God wanted anyone to define a new fixed day of rest, he would have said so in scripture, not left it up to inferences, guesses and human tradition.

So it is either any 7th day (which it could be, I think), or it is Saturday that one should rest, if keeping the sabbath. I am still unsure.

But I believe the meaning of the scripture is plain that no man is to judge another about that decision.... it is between each one and the Lord.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jul, 2010 03:10 PM

the holy 7th day sabbath is one of GODS 10 holy commandments , the moral laws which we are to live by , read MATTHEW 5:17-20 , then go to MATTHEW 12:8 ,where JESUS says himself that he is lord of the sabbath, now go to MARK 7:6-9 , then to JOHN 14:15 , now to ROMANS 3:31 , heres a good one JAMES 2:10, wow , that one is self explanitory ! now to 1st JOHN 1:3-8 , now to 1st JOHN 5:2-3 , and who does satan hate ? REVELATION 12:17 , then go to 14:12 and then tomy favorite 22:14 and to finnish it all up goto 22:18-19 and thats why we are to keep the 7th day sabbath holy as stated by our heavenly father himself thru those filled with the holy spirit , how can any one even begin to doubt GODS written word , its all there , its very simple but satan will do anything in his power to deceive the world , never mind what you think and start studying the bible to see what GOD is telling us , it does not matter what we think , GOD has the final word , heres one statment of many from the old testement ISAIAH 66:22-23 , the sabbath will be kept after JESUS returns . there are alot of truths in these verses that many churches will not teach, they have fallen in with roman catholic doctrine , the 7th day is GODS seal let there be no doubt about it , so what do you think will be the mark of the beast ? most people think 666 , but that is the number of the beast , if GODS seal is the 7th day , then what could the 1st day be ? it certainly is not GODS sabbath . it is a sabbath made by man. may GOD bless you all with the knowledge needed for the times of trouble that are ahead , we need to make a stand for GODS truths as did the prophets of old .

Datakid

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2010 02:42 PM

I love worship on Sabbath, as Jesus did. He is our example, and on Sunday

See scriptures included herein, from ALL of the Bible.

Sunday is the First Day of the Week (according to Genisis 1:5 and Matt 28:1)

I pray no one takes either day from me, b�shem Yshua, Heavenly Father, amen, amen

In the Bible, breaking bread was another name for what we call communion.

Acts 20:7 Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.

2 Chr 2:4 Behold, I am building a temple for the name of the LORD my God, to dedicate it to Him, to burn before Him sweet incense, for the continual showbread, for the burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths, on the New Moons, and on the set feasts of the LORD our God.

This is an ordinance forever to Israel.

Exod 31:13 "Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: `Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you

Exod 31:17 `It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.'"

Rom 14:5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.

Rom 14:6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

Rom 14:7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.

Rom 14:8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.

Isa 58:13 "If you turn away your foot from breaking the Sabbath, from doing your pleasure on My holy day, and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy day of the LORD honorable, and shall honor Him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words,

Isa 58:14 Then you shall delight yourself in the LORD; and I will cause you to ride on the high hills of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father. The mouth of the LORD has spoken."

Examples of Jesus attending congregation on the Sabbath. There is nothing in Scripture about Him meeting on Sunday, the first day of the week.

Mark 1:21 Then they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and taught.

Mark 6:2 And when the Sabbath had come, He began to teach in the synagogue. And many hearing Him were astonished, saying, "Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands!

Luke 4:16 So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

Luke 6:6 Now it happened on another Sabbath, also, that He entered the synagogue and taught. And a man was there whose right hand was withered.

Luke 13:10 Now He was teaching in one of the synagogues on the Sabbath.

Some of us are Messianic Jews and some of us are �grafted in� to the Olive Tree (Jews)

Rom 11:16 For if the firstfruit is holy, the lump is also holy; and if the root is holy, so are the branches.

Rom 11:17 And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree,

Rom 11:18 do not boast against the branches. But if you do boast, remember that you do not support the root, but the root supports you.

Rom 11:19 You will say then, "Branches were broken off that I might be grafted in."

Rom 11:20 Well said. Because of unbelief they were broken off, and you stand by faith. Do not be haughty, but fear.

Rom 11:21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either.

Rom 11:22 Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.

Rom 11:23 And they also, if they do not continue in unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

Rom 11:24 For if you were cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, who are natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

Rom 11:25 For I do not desire, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion, that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.

Rom 11:26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The Deliverer will come out of Zion, and He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;

Rom 11:27 For this is My covenant with them, when I take away their sins."

Rom 11:28 Concerning the gospel they are enemies for your sake, but concerning the election they are beloved for the sake of the fathers.

Rom 11:29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

Rom 11:31 even so these also have now been disobedient, that through the mercy shown you they also may obtain mercy.

Rom 11:32 For God has committed them all to disobedience, that He might have mercy on all.

Rom 11:33 Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

Rom 11:34 "For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor?"

Rom 11:35 "Or who has first given to Him and it shall be repaid to him?"

Rom 11:36 For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen.

Col 2:16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths

Col 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Jusus said:

Matt 5:17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

He fulfulled it because we can't and/or WON'T keep the law

Jesus said:

Matt 5:19 "Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Paul did not teach people to break the laws, because Paul kept them. He did allow Gentiles (non Jews) liberty rather than lose them. Salvation is not based on anything but faith. Rewards are based on obedience.

Acts 23:6 But when Paul perceived that one part were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, "Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee; concerning the hope and resurrection of the dead I am being judged!"

Acts 26:5 "They knew me from the first, if they were willing to testify, that according to the strictest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.

Phil 3:3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,

Phil 3:4 though I also might have confidence in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so:

Phil 3:5 circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee;

Phil 3:6 concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

Phil 3:7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.

Phil 3:8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

Phil 3:9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;

Phil 3:10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death,

Phil 3:11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Phil 3:12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

Phil 3:13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,

Phil 3:14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Oct, 2010 01:00 AM

This is very well said!

I am a former SDA but found much I could not follow in the church. Especially about the womens role.

I am an ancient path woman who enjoys the role that the Bible lays out for her protection. I have no problem with the men running the church and leading.

Women being leaders in the SDA church may not be everywhere but it was overindulged in, in the SDA church I attended. Our Lord wants us to follow the old/ancient paths.

I am not talking about the Hebrew laws but the male/female roles that are carried into NT times too.

Maybe someday I will find a Sabbath Day church where the old paths are practiced. May there be blessings from above to you:prayingf:

LoveAlways63

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2010 10:39 PM

Good scripture quote, Mike! Just tonight in our Bible study we were reading Ephesians (Galatians and Ephesians are a MUST read regarding no longer being under the LAW, but under GRACE!) and these verses stood out:

"Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the LAW of Commandments contained in ordainances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the ENMITY thereby." Eph 2:15 & 16.

The ENMITY is clearly stated to be the LAW (of Moses), which Jesus ABOLISHED by first keeping it perfectly, then by his death on the cross. He has made a NEW covenant...one that does not require works of the flesh...that is, Law-keeping.

haymike

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Nov, 2010 07:28 AM

Adventists have a book, Great Conteversy, by Ellen White, their prophet. It teaches , when Jesus returns, the deciding factor for salvation is what day you kept. the sabbath keepers wil have the seal of God and the sunday keepers, the mark of the beast. So Jesus isn't a factor in salvation, just sabbath wil determine your fate. Epheasians 1:13 says In Him you also , after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation- having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inherintance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession , to the praise of His glory. I'm rellying on Jesus , not keeping of a day for my salvation. My faith is in Jesus , not law keeping, day keeping for salvation. In Adventism, Sabbath is thieir core Not Jesus. My faith is in Jesus blood for my salvation. So No I havent left the faith. Love, Hay MIke

ChristFaithfully

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Nov, 2011 06:26 PM

Do you get paid to rest?

Page : 1 2 3