Author Thread: Friends
GraceMae

View Profile
History
Friends
Posted : 20 Apr, 2010 08:41 PM

I have been reading this book "Inspiring Words from the Psalms for Friends", and I want to share several reflections listed that touched me and ideally say to me that's the kind of friend I want in my life too. Many more were listed, but I chose to share these...

Friends speak the truth... Justice and judgement are the habitation of thy throne; mercy and truth shall go before thy face. ~Psalm 89:14 KJV

Friends are long-suffering...His heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord. ~Psalm 112:7 KJV

Friends protect each other...I am yours, save me; For I have sought Your precepts. ~Psalm 119:94 NASB

Friends pray together...On the day I called, You answered me, and made me bold with strength in my soul. ~Psalm 138:3 NASB

Friends are united...He will redeem my soul in peace from the battle which is against me, For they are many who strive with me. ~Psalm 55:18 NASB

Friends do not cause each other to stumble...Make me know Your ways, O LORD; Teach me Your paths. ~Psalm 25:4 NASB

Friends celebrate each other's victories... His soul will abide in prosperity, And his descendants will inherit the land. ~Psalm 25:13 NASB

Friends are allies...The steps of a man are established by the LORD, and He delights in his way. ~ Psalm 37:23 NASB

Friends endure through time...You have been with me from birth; from my mothers womb you have cared for me. ~Psalm 71:6 NLT

Friends dream together...Let heaven and earth praise Him, the seas and everything that moves in them. ~ Psalm 69:34

Friends encourage each other...How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings. ~Psalm 36:7 NASB

Someone posted a thread before "What does it mean to be a friend?" It was in the Suggestions Section before. I repose the question. What does it mean to be a friend?

GraceMae

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Friends
Posted : 20 Apr, 2010 08:44 PM

So, I looked back at what I wrote back in December, and well, I still feel the same way. What does it mean to be a friend? It means to be there for someone as much as possible when they are happy, sad, in need, or as a shoulder of support. Being a friend is not necessarily a daily experience of communicating but knowing that no matter the frequency of being in touch, that person is still the same yesturday, today, and a "just knowing", they'll be the same way tomorrow.

A friend knows the truth and stands by you no matter what. When the bad things happen in life, even the things we cause ourselves, failures - a friend doesn't beat you down. A friend can talk to you and tell you you did wrong, pray with you about correction, listen to you pray repentance if need be, and lift you up to continue on.

A friend spends time watching you grow and tells you congratulations. A friend might forget your birthday or special key events in your life they can't make, but they'll always cheer on in support from the background. A friend will pat your back when you've reached your greatest milestones of accomplishments in life. A friend is not ashamed to say "I love you" and not ashamed to let others know they care about you--no matter if it's man/man or woman/woman friends.

GraceMae

A friend will step away from you if you need space, but always will be watching your back. Even when you get angry at your friend, a "friend" will let you, but will wait patiently for you till you cool off. A friend will learn to apologize even when they might not be right about something, but want to remove any strains. A friend "just knows" a friend and it's ok just the way they are.

View Profile
History
Friends
Posted : 25 Apr, 2010 11:20 PM

All of my friends know that I know they love me. They have my back and they are always available to me. They also know they can count on me to be available to them too. I never turn off my phone unless I am at work. I never let emails sit for days and when I go to see them I always come bearing gifts!

I sincerely believe a friend can be closer than a brother and their is no better way to show your love for a friend than to lay down what you think is important in your life in order to make what is needed in their life more important.

Thunder

patou

View Profile
History
Friends
Posted : 4 May, 2010 04:31 AM

Thanks Grace for this post! :waving:

Everything you've written are true & a delight in someone's heart. When you consider someone as your friend, time & distance doesn't matter as long as you understand each other. And be there for her/him when needed even just to write a comforting note that you do care & pray for her/him.

And I want to thank you for being there the first time I needed you, and still continue to lift me up. We've got a long way to go sister, we're just starting. :yay:

Lots of love,

Ida :glow:

View Profile
History
Friends
Posted : 4 May, 2010 08:49 PM

well GraceMae, a friend accepts even when they do not understand. they nudge u back on track when you've lost your way, they treat you the same everyday.

nyanda:purpleangel:

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Friends
Posted : 4 May, 2010 09:51 PM

Yes Nyanda.... TRUE friends have the gift of discernment between one another. Ida, Thunder... thanks for replying....

I heard a message several weeks ago. Charles Stanley had a message on "Building blocks of True Friendships". The building blocks were...

1. Time - must be willling to spend time with them. If you're a super busy person, you won't have time for 'lots' of "friends." Decide you want to spend time with them, and listen to them.

2. Talk - doesnt' matter what it is; the more they talk, we peer into their heart, their mind, soul and spirit. We've got to know each other, and the more we know, the more we love them; sometimes the less we know, we less we love.

3. Tears & laughter - There will be those times. Sharing the good and the bad. Sharing what God's doing in our lives together. Triumphs & trials together. We should have a friend we can talk to - a close intimate friend. Not having this can affect our health! When we stuff it and cram it and keep it on the inside of us, it will affect our health. Tears are healthy.

4. Tolerance - Tolerating one another! Even those things that hurt our feelinggs or even attitudes. We'll never have a "perfect" friend because we'll never be the "perfect" friend to them!

5. Transparency - Be willing to open our heart; tell another what we feel; when we are hurting, angry, mis-understood, rejected, happy! If we can't be transparent with each other, then we can't have a friendship. We all have things that we don't want the whole world to know but probably want "somebody" to know. It gives real validity to geniune, true friendship. And lastly....

6. Truthfulness - We can't have a real friendship without it. Essential to being absolutely honest. Being honest with ourselves first is key. What it all adds up to, (if it's REAL) is love. ~ GraceMae

View Profile
History
Friends
Posted : 4 May, 2010 10:29 PM

yup GraceMae, all of that good stuff, just open your heart and keep coming back:waving: