Author Thread: The Finger
Admin

The Finger
Posted : 27 Apr, 2010 10:13 PM

The first time I read this verse I had to find out what it was about.

Isa 58:9 Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; (KJV)

I was particularly curious about " the putting forth of the finger". I have heard some people teach that this has something to do with pointing the finger in an accusatory way. I found this to be untrue and here is what I found in some commentaries about this.

Matthew Henry: seems to have been then, as sometimes with us, a sign of displeasure and the indication of a purpose to correct. Let not the finger be put forth to point at those that are poor and in misery, and so to expose them to contempt; such expressions of contumely as are provoking, and the products of ill-nature, ought to be banished from all societies.

John Gill: pointing at those that could not comply with them, by way of scorn and derision, as puritans, schismatics, &c. and persecuting them for it; and so is the same with smiting with the fist of wickedness, Isa_58:4

Jamieson, Fausset and Brown: the finger of scorn pointed at simple-minded godly men. The middle finger was so used by the Romans.

Can it be that the God has actually told us not to flip people off? If you think about it it makes sense in the context of this verse. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Thunder

View Profile
History
The Finger
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 12:30 PM

i feel a cool ocean breeze in here, it's not cuz i'm on an island either :laugh:

nyanda:purpleangel:

View Profile
History
The Finger
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 12:37 PM

hmmm...would there be another reason? :glow:

I wish I was on an island!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

let's all go visit Nyanda this summer;)

View Profile
History
The Finger
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 02:30 PM

Hummm...a thought came ta mind bout a beautiful painting of God in the clouds streaching fourth his right hand an forfinger and Adam there also streaching fourth his left hand an forfinger. They are almost touching fingers...

Thank Father GOD for speaking forth his word an the creation of Man an his continued Grace of Salvation for Man an Womens fall from that Grace. Thank you Father for your Son Jesus whom never points his Finger at HIS children an flock...xo

nepb47

View Profile
History
The Finger
Posted : 30 Apr, 2010 10:41 PM

This is not theological but it is a cute story, at least I think it is:

When my son was real little we were leaving church and he kept pointing his middle finger. I told him casually not to because it sometimes means something bad. I was trying to treat the situation lightly because he was so young. But he took it to heart and got upset, he wanted to cut his finger off! and started crying!

If we all treated sin in ourselves so severely....

NEPB

Page : 1 2