Author Thread: Parents
Admin

Parents
Posted : 18 Jul, 2010 09:54 PM

This morning in church my pastor said "God has given you your parents as a Godly protection for you." Is this really true for everyone?

I have been thinking about this all day and I just don't see how it is true for everyone. What about the kids whose parents beat them to death, or the parents that verbally or mentally abuse their children? How is that "Godly protection"?

View Profile
History
Parents
Posted : 28 Jul, 2010 01:41 PM

I think that the unconditional love we receive from our family is meant to be a reflection of God's unfailing and unconditional love to us. Unfortunately, there are cases when some of us don't receive this kind of love from our families. It is sad but we should lift our eyes to God and trust in Him, for we know He receives us and loves us like no other will, as we can read in Psalm 27:10 ,, Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me. ''

Blessings!

Rabbit32

View Profile
History
Parents
Posted : 31 Jul, 2010 11:49 PM

Well said!

Good and Evil isn't so much a thing that is created, but an act that derives from a choice. Also it would help to know where in the bible you pastor got that from, because I'm having trouble recalling scripture that states that. :)

View Profile
History
Parents
Posted : 2 Aug, 2010 11:24 AM

I agree Katie. My father was not a Godly protector. My mom tried to be but she had so many issues of her own that she was not very good at it. Perhaps they are to be Godly protectors by design but sin has made it impossible without the guidance of the Holy spirit. I am not so sure that the Bible teaches this concept either. Parents should love their children but so many of us have such different ideas about what love is and how it is to be expressed. Sometimes I feel fortunate that I survived my parents!

Thundrer

View Profile
History
Parents
Posted : 3 Aug, 2010 07:09 AM

@Thunder - that was what my pastor said! He said that we are given our parents as "Godly protection", but because we live in a fallen and sinful world it is not always the case.

cowgirl1984

View Profile
History
Parents
Posted : 7 Oct, 2010 10:05 PM

I also agree with Thunder.

I believe God designed the parent/child relationship to be one in which the parents provide for and protect their children as they grow up, but in order for them to provide godly protection, they have to be godly... I'm not someone who automatically buys everything pastors say. If it isn't something I recall reading in the Bible, then when they say it, I will go home and scour my Bible to find it (thank goodness for concordances and indexes, and the search feature on BibleGateway.com!). If I can't, then I take it with a grain of salt.

View Profile
History
Parents
Posted : 9 Oct, 2010 10:36 AM

This is true, just as we are the children of God and he is holy. Are parents should be also as they walk in the word. But if they aren't, God gives us the chance to develop that relationship on our own as we get older. But we should respect their protection and listen to them according to God's word. I still listen to my parents at my age because they have experience in matters. What does everyone thing about correcting children.