Author Thread: Giving to the poor that stand at the street corners
Admin

Giving to the poor that stand at the street corners
Posted : 22 Oct, 2010 06:25 PM

Man, a few months ago, I was talking with some folks at church about giving to the people who sit at the interstate ramps and major intersections in our city. There's so much talk of people just using it for booze or bad things - so why give? What about the people who need it?

What do you think about this?

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 06:01 PM

Correction: she said she should NOT say where she was headed, and how she got to the mall, or where she was staying.

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 07:45 PM

No its not giving just for giving...its not about giving for the sake of getting a reward in heaven...its if you are lead by the spirit to give...then follow the spirit's call and give. If the individual takes advantage of your gift...then that's between them and God.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 08:24 PM

@alycorn

You did it excatly right; you did the same thing Jesus did for us;he gave us a 'opportunity' ; you gave her every opportunity, she refused. I have no doubt God noticed your effort even though you did not feel yourself showered in golden light with a harp gently playing in the background ; which would be so much better!!! How do you think Jesus felt when the rich young ruler turned him down? Trying to help people is not always gratifying, but we are still called to. I find it helps to ask for "divine appointments" and to 'weed out the rest' in my morning prayer. If I was there I would give you a big hug for effort or maybe just cause your cute; Hehehe.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 06:20 AM

acreets-- go walk and minister amongst the drunks and druggies then come and talk to me about God and His will for these people.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 06:32 AM

acreets: Consider 1 Corinthians chapter 5 verse 1 :

" But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, DRUNKARD, or swindler-not even to eat with such a one. "

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 09:36 AM

@Itasca

I would like to humbly point out the key word in the scripture you posted is not" drunkard" but rather "brother".

The verse pertains to those who claim to be christians (brother) yet unrepentantly continue to follow evil ways. It is one thing to be a christian and struggling with alcohol, but a completely different matter to take pride in being a christian and a drunkard.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 10:54 AM

twosparrows said: It is one thing to be a christian and struggling with alcohol, but a completely different matter to take pride in being a christian and a drunkard.

So if a Christian is ashamed and struggling with gross sins are still a Christian? Example: Someone who claims to be a Christian but doesn't stop getting drunk, stop doing drugs, stop sexual immorality and as long as they are struggling and are not proud of their sins they can still be considered a brother? Can someone who claims to be a Christian live in a life style of secret sins like that and still have assurance of being saved just because they say they believe in Jesus?

aceets

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 12:53 PM

Itasca

Heed twospperrows on the 1Corinthians passage.

As for ministering to these people, I happen to speak out of experience and I happen to know that God himself put everything on the line (his powers, his reputation as God, even his life) so that they may be able to be free of whatever has taken them captive, both at the spiritual and the physical level. Now, that's what I call the will of God, i.e. not what these dregs of society are but what God wants them to be.

Blessings

Aceets

luvinjesus319

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 01:06 PM

As someone who does homeless ministry I felt led to comment... I actually wrote a blog on this awhile back and thought I would share...

Its kinda long, lol but I dont have time to add or take away...on my way out but hope you all have a blessed day!

""Some people have been curious as to why the homeless ministry means so much to me. I know that a powerful tool of Gods glory is the testimony of a changed life, that's why I don't mind sharing my story.

My kids and I have been "homeless". What is homeless? Homeless is not just a dirty looking, smelly, old person on the street. Homeless is not just a drunk. Homeless is not just an addict. Homeless is not just a prostitute. Homeless is not just a lazy bum not wanting to get a job. People need to get those STEREOTYPES out of their head. (I'm sure we have all at one time or another fit into someone elses stereotype and not liked it!)

Here is the wikipedia definition of homelessness "Homelessness (UK: sleeping rough) is the condition of and social category of people who don't have a regular house or dwelling because they cannot afford, pay for, or are otherwise unable to maintain regular, safe, and adequate housing, or they lack, "fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence"

My personal experience with homelessness : We were left without any means of income without any notice, me having been a stay at home mom. My husband found something he felt was better and one day walked away and didn't look back. (THIS CAN HAPPEN TO ANY OF YOU!) I didn't see it coming. I don't have a rich family and got what little help there was (which was given in love and received with gratitude) After a few months I couldn't pay all those bills and lost the town home, and the car (after having already sold a lot of my valuables trying to keep those things) Divorce itself was gut wrenching enough trying to deal emotionally myself and for the kids, then to lose your home. You cant imagine unless you have been there and let me tell you, from what I read, with everyone looking for new spouses (instead of new marriages) and people out of work or facing layoffs its closer than you think. We were lucky enough to be able to go stay with my mom for a few months while I was looking for a job. Once I attempted to get back on my feet, we still struggled daily. (when you start out behind and with no job skills or higher education this is what happens) There were so many bills I just couldn't keep up. (and those were minimum bills and minimum pay I was working with) I was always a dollar short, a day late, and a step behind BUT I learned a lot about myself, about my kids, about how to have a healthy family life, about a God who loved us and things started to change in other aspects. After 4 years of trying to get ahead though, I lost out again. Eviction and a repo! There was a difference this time. I had hope. We had been showed so much love by others. By the churches. By family. By friends. I knew to put my faith in God. So did my kids. Again we were lucky that someone else showed us mercy and gave us a place to stay. That people loved on us. That God provided in other ways.... and then in HIS timing a blessing came that enabled me to get back on our own. Once everything was caught up I had been behind on, and I got situated and well once again things were tight. But I don't stress anymore because my faith has been strengthened to know that God is going to provide for us. Some amazing things have dropped in front of me allowing me to work a "career" helping OTHERS save money and increase THEIR finances. I see Gods hand in so much of my life to get me here today to have such a desire to help others and know He is going to advance me financially and one day (soon I hope) I will have a helpmate ;) or some other miracle. My kids don't realize the things that have transpired, but they have transitioned beautifully and God has really blessed me with amazing children. I know they are my gift from God.I

luvinjesus319

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 01:11 PM

"""See that is the difference in my situation and the people on the street. Although our situation was similar, our homelessness was different. We have the Lord in our life, we had people loving on us, praying for us, showing us mercy, whereas a lot of these people do not. Some are VETS (who I might add fought for YOUR freedom!) some are mentally ill (they slipped through someones crack, the govt?a hospital? a caseworker? their family?) some have fallen on extremely hard times and have no mercy net (which I may add most of us are only a paycheck away) and yes some are drunks, addicts and prostitutes (which I might add that abuse/ rape/ being molested/ broken hearts/ divorce etc led them to those things and again... how many people have suffered from that)

So that's why I love the homeless!!! They shadow a life that I have been close too and are people just like me and everyone else I know that has fallen on a hard time. Being a servant to another person is VERY hard for some people. I understand this!! I have not always served others in this capacity. But let me tell you this, there may come a time in your life where you will need someone else s help. You may not WANT it..... but there will be a time, or maybe there already has been one that you NEED another human to be there for you....... these people NEED others to be there for them right now in this moment. Don't worry about what they "might" do with that change or dollar you give them. Thats not up to you, the act of kindness and love itself is all you need to worry about. Buy them a meal. Give them a blanket. There are even places like Church under the Bridge that is working to get these people off the street by feeding them with the love of God and with food and counseling and your time would be valued there too. Maybe you know a single mom in trouble. Call her and ask what she needs. Maybe you know an elderly person that dementia is setting in and they are not working and getting no money.... the point is, we ALL have the capabilities in some shape, form, or fashion to help others.~~ Love yall Mona""""

Page : 1 2 3