Author Thread: Giving to the poor that stand at the street corners
Admin

Giving to the poor that stand at the street corners
Posted : 22 Oct, 2010 06:25 PM

Man, a few months ago, I was talking with some folks at church about giving to the people who sit at the interstate ramps and major intersections in our city. There's so much talk of people just using it for booze or bad things - so why give? What about the people who need it?

What do you think about this?

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 04:21 PM

@Mr Row

I can only judge the extreme ends by scripture, all that lies between I leave to the Lord. Although there are times when when one is forced to make a decision when dealing with a" gray" area. It is at these times I would rather err on the side of grace, at least until the reality of the situation shows itself more clearly.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 06:09 PM

The poor aren't all drunks and druggies.

While I'm thinking about it: Seems to me that people who have accepted Christ, but are still in gross sin needs an accountability partner - bad. I still went to bars and drank after I was saved, but it slowly got to where it tasted bad. And it wasn't any fun. God did that for me. The Holy Spirit WILL convict us of things we shouldn't do. Hopefully someone will go to that brother and be a good friend and encourage them to listen to that guilty feeling and get away from the temptations however he can.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 07:19 PM

Where in the Bible does God ask man to accept Him?

Why do we think God wants us to accept Jesus?

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2010 11:11 PM

In general, we will not see the righteous begging on street corners for money. Begging for forgiveness or healing is another matter.

My take is that we should treat the person soliciting money, in a similar way as they treat us. If they respect our space, don't rush us when we are taking out money or credit card, and are not a threat to our safety, we can consider helping them, if not... we need to protect ourselves.

The help we offer should very much be like the examples given in the Bible. First, we should consider if the begging is legitimate due to handicap, injury or accident or other misfortune or if they person is simply identifying us as a mark.

Do you remember in the book of Acts, when Peter spoke to the handicapped beggar and said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Consider this person had a real need. Peter probably had some money, or could have worked or found a willing person to help out if the need was financial, but he identified the real need was physical and God worked a miracle through him to heal someone.

Just a few thoughts... in general while God loves a cheerful giver, being put on the spot by someone is rude and unless I am distinctly led to give to someone who disrespects me in trying to obtain whatever money I have on my person, I sense for the presence of danger, and feel out the situation to make sure those around me and yes even I am safe before I even think of giving to such a person.

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Oct, 2010 05:54 PM

That's so hard though - to see what the real need of someone is. unless it's something physical apparent, how do you know?

I like what stormcountry said - that even if the person you're giving to does something they don't need to do with it, that's between them and God. I wish God would make the leading a little stronger. Grab me up by the shirt and just tell me what to do already! So if I see someone asking for money, and I don't see an something obvious as to what they "need," ask them what do they need? *sigh* I have a feeling it will be something leading back to money again. Man I wish I had enough money last weekend to buy that lady her shoes. But $40 sheesh - I hardly spend that much on my own shoes. I'm a thriststoreaholic. :)

Mercymay

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Nov, 2010 04:40 AM

In giving I have my reward in thinking I made someone happy somehow.

One time I was driving and caught in a traffic, a beggar knocked and gave him a hundred peso bill when the usual expectation is just a few coins. He smiled from ear to ear then I see him at my side mirror showing off the bill to the next cars.

Another time I was with another engineer about to do some purchasing at a hardware store. When we parked a beggar was sitting with his belongings. I hurriedly packed some fruits we had and gave to him with fifty peso bill then joined the purchasing activity. In coming back to the car, the beggar have eaten the fruits and is enjoying his cigarettes. Oh my, there goes my fifty pesos and my companion was and I joined laughed at myself. He made us healthy for a good laugh is good medicine.

Well, it is hard to lose pride and resort to begging. Sure there are instances in our life we are at the giving end, sometimes at the receiving end. I think the truth is, there is joy in giving and joy in receiving.

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Nov, 2010 08:12 PM

Your original questions: "There's so much talk of people just using it for booze or bad things - so why give? What about the people who need it? What do you think about this"

Where I work now I don't encounter homeless people, but for 20+ years I saw them all the time to and from work. As a single lady alone -- I would not ever give them money, unless I happened to have some in my pocket. Many times I would take some out of my wallet and put it in my pocket in case I ran into one of them. But I would give to organizations who I knew did good Christian work with the homelesss. I always prayed about it ahead of time, and God always led me when to say No and when to give.

Most if not all of the homeless people I met did not want to talk or go to a place to get food with you --- they just wanted money, and right now. Could be the time of day or location? I'm not sure. But God always led me to give or not.

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Nov, 2010 05:10 PM

Not that my opinion is altogether important, but here are my thoughts:

I give to the poor and homeless every time I see them. I don't want them to buy drugs with the money, but if they do, so be it.

I reject the "it's between God and them" justification. It's not. Their sin, and their behavior, affects everyone. That kind of radical, individualistic thinking is foreign to the Gospel.

But I give nonetheless. I give because I'm trying to emulate God. Who among us hasn't squandered the gifts God's given us? And yet he keeps on giving.

I will always do the same.

"But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust. (Mt. 5:44-45)."

last_unicorn

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Nov, 2010 05:08 PM

The problem lies where a lot of these so-claimed homeless people are scammers. Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish the real homeless people from the fake ones. The scammers will dress like homeless people, thus fooling people with their appearance. These scammers can make well over $25,000 a year, and a lot of them work together. You gotta be careful.

I think the best thing to do would be to offer food instead of money. One time, I gave a guy my fast food drink. Another time, I gave a guy half my sandwich.

Page : 1 2 3