Author Thread: To Provoke Them To Jealousy
Admin

To Provoke Them To Jealousy
Posted : 23 Nov, 2010 04:12 PM

I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but [rather] through their fall salvation [is come] unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. -Romans 11:11

Paul is speaking in regards to the Jews... How does salvation to the Gentiles provoke jealousy in the Jews?

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 04:45 PM

Jealousy

strong's concordance #3863

"excite to rivalry"

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 04:49 PM

Possible future event? Sure just about anything is possible and can think of some prophesied event that might fit.

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 05:32 PM

DontHitThatMark,

The Jews have no problem with Christians/Gentiles believing in the same God of Abraham. True, they were expecting a King, but Jesus did not come as a King so they rejected Him; but not because the Gentiles believed who He was or because He offered salvation to the Gentiles. Why be jealous over Jesus' relationship with the Gentiles if you don't believe Jesus is the Messiah? Why be jealous over Gentiles receiving salvation if you don't believe Jesus was/is the Savior or Deliverer that they were looking for?

Twosparrows,

Okay, so jealousy = "excite to rivalry". And rivalry is competing with one another or to try and outdo the other or be better or as good as the other... but I really don't see how that fits either. I don't see Jews trying to compete with us, and my answer/questions to DontHitThatMark would be applied the same, only using the definition of rivalry instead of the word jealousy.

I'm curious as to which prophesied event[s] you think would fit if this jealousy is something that occurs in the future, and why you think it would fit. I can think of one as well.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 06:11 PM

Anyway....I do think jealousy is involved and I don't think it's a future event. It makes sense in my own mind, lol. It's basically the parable of the prodigal son and his brother. The brother that stayed home was jealous of the stuff the father did for the returning son, right?

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 06:15 PM

Ahhh, but the brother did not become jealous until his prodigal sibling was seen returning and his father had him bring out the finest of everything. It was a future jealousy. :laugh:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Nov, 2010 08:06 PM

lol...but...if you apply it to the jew/gentile situation...c'mon! It makes a little sense, right?! Please?:laugh:

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Nov, 2010 08:41 AM

:laugh: You're cute..

Yeah, it makes a little sense. But which is who? Are the Gentiles the ones who squandered everything and came back repentant, making the Jews jealous of their return to a lavish party, or is it the Jews who squandered everything and came back repentant, making the Gentiles jealous of their return to a lavish party? :laugh:

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Nov, 2010 12:27 PM

It is the Gentiles who are represented by the prodigal son, who left and came back. It evident in Luke 15:15 that he was feeding pigs; something a Jew of that time would never do.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Nov, 2010 07:56 AM

Hmm...but conversely, if the prodigal son was a gentile...then it seems his brother would be too...I think there's some figurative symbols in here...but you can very easily see that the older brother was supposed to at least be the pharisees, if not the whole jewish nation. He was the one that was supposedly "always with God".

Page : 1 2