Author Thread: What does Matthew 16:28 mean?
Mercymay

View Profile
History
What does Matthew 16:28 mean?
Posted : 30 Nov, 2010 05:26 AM

24Jesus said to his disciples... 28 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

Does this mean some of his disciples are still alive today until the second coming? at least two or more?

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Nov, 2010 08:15 AM

He may have meant they'll see Him "in vision", but there are many instances in the bible where people were taken to heaven without seeing death. In this verse, He does say they will not taste death "till" they "see" Him coming, which may imply that they will taste death after they "see" Him coming, which fits into the "in vision" theory. But there's no biblical conflict with people going to heaven without seeing death, it's happened before.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Nov, 2010 09:53 AM

Matthew 16:28 is probably referring to the 'transfiguration' which happened 6 days later (Matt 17:1-8) Peter talks about it in 2 Pet 1:16-18 referring to the transfiguration when he says,"....about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.....we were eyewitness of is majesty.....when we were with him on the sacred mountian."

Some people think it can refer to the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came in a big way and the Gospel spread powerfully.

However I find it interesting that even recent times there has been reported sightings of the disciple John. I heard of one such story: A man saw a crowd gathered in a park, upon investigating he saw a man dressed in a robe and belt as they dressed in the middle east at the time of Jesus. But what was really amazing was the Spiritual power and authority with which he preached the Gospel. He said you could 'feel' the power of the Spirit on his words. When,"John" was done speaking he walked from the park to a side street. The man who happened on this wanted to speak to "John". He pushed his way through the crowd to the side street just as "John" turned the corner of a building. As the man turned the corner of the building,"John" had vanished.

I find this interesting in light of John 21:22-23 "Jesus answered, (speaking of John) "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me". Because of this that rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say he would not die; he only said "If I want him to remain alive until I return what is that to you?"

hmmmmm.......???

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Nov, 2010 10:08 AM

I heard a similiar story, twosparrows, and my first thought was maybe it was an angel. But God doesn't use angels to spread the Word------- mabe it WAS John.

Nothing is impossible with God!:angel:

Deborah

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Nov, 2010 10:58 AM

2Sparrow shared ~ I find this interesting in light of John 21:22-23 "Jesus answered, (speaking of John) "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?

I find this fascinating...an it would be jus like our LORD Jesus ta do somethin like this...I met a young man a long time ago...his name was John. He said he was visiting his Aunts for a bit. We chatted bout all kinds of stuff. I'll never forget one day he was walkin down the road an I pulled the car over an asked ifin he wanted a lift. He jumped in an said...You are the nicest person I've met in long time. I laughed an he said Really !!! Most people jus dont do anything for anyone anymore, its sad. Sometimes I wonder...was He the John spoken of here ???...:glow:...xo

P.S. GOD does work in mysterious ways...

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2010 08:44 AM

There is a tendency to think that this is a reference to Jesus return to rule in His millennial kingdom also called the , Kingdom of Heaven. However this is not a reference to this coming from heaven to rule on earth. It is a fact and a Truth that the reign of Christ began at His death on the cross. In the context of this passage this is what He is talking about.

The reign Jesus refers to is His rule over death and sin and the Enemy, all of whom were bound by His death on the cross and afterward He descended into Hell where he took the keys to Hell and Death. He took captivity captive and paraded the enemy in the heavens for all to see that He was the victor and He reigns now. He entered His reign through the door of the cross. This is not a reference to a far off future event. It is clear to us that John and Mary were both at the cross and it is likely that many other of the disciples were there as well. They were all witnesses to his coming into His reign. Jesus became the King of Kings and Lord of Lords on the cross.

Thunder

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Dec, 2010 11:38 AM

@Thunder

Yum yum, good stuff!

Mercymay

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Dec, 2010 08:20 AM

Thank you brothers and sisters for the interesting replies.

I find these verses related :

Matt: 16:27a For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father�s glory with his angels�

Acts 1:11 �This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.

I prefer to believe the literal there must be disciples today who are more than 2,030 years old. The reported sightings must be true. @Bornagaintoserve - Nothing is impossible with God!

But why do we tend to rationalize? Does it imply we have some disbelief, kind of thinking�impossible! �it must refer to Pentecost, or to Easter Sunday?

@Twosparrows - John 21:22-23 � IF I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me�. Stating a possibility he might want him to. That is exciting, it is a small world, one might be just in your neighborhood.

@GodsJude - GOD does work in mysterious ways...