Author Thread: Mary
Admin

Mary
Posted : 8 Dec, 2010 03:40 AM

Any Catholics here or used to be one?

Personally, I had spent my whole life at school in a Catholic school, had myself attending the sermons at the Catholic Church, and that was before I converted to be a Christian. My question is, why the Catholics think that Mary is different with other chosen women? For example, if Mary said no to carry Jesus in her belly, then it might be the next chosen woman named Martha who would carry Him, and that Martha would now fill in the Novena and hail prayer, not "Hail Mary" but "Hail Martha"? This is just a question out of curiosity, I've asked my Catholic friends about this and they all answer the same as "Mary is the mother of Jesus", then I replied back as "Martha could be the mother of Jesus", they didn't reply back. Could someone here give me a scripture on why there are Novena prayer and Hail Mary prayer?

I do adore Mary as she has been one of the greatest and blessed woman at all time - she was totally the woman of God with huge faith within her, but I can't find anywhere in the Bible about we should pray Novena or Hail Mary prayer.

PS. Yeah.. You guys can discuss it here rather than "messing" around in Barefoot's topic lol

View Profile
History
Mary
Posted : 10 Dec, 2010 01:11 PM

Now that this post is on page 2 it may be too late to join in on this. I've been reading the back and forth with interest. Arch, you give an impassioned argument with great conviction. It is seldom that I find anyone who defends their denomination more stridently.

What puzzles me in all this..... and pardon me if I missed something or have not caught on properly..... what puzzles me is this: Why?

Why is it important to the Catholic church to assert that Mary have been the only person ever born who was without the sin nature the rest of us have?

And why is it important to the Catholic church to assert that Mary was a virgin all her life?

Why? Why is it important? I don't understand. What difference does it make? Does it have eternal consequences if we believe one way or the other? Can we make a brother or sister stumble by believing one way or another? Why such emphasis? Why is it so important? I don't understand.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Mary
Posted : 10 Dec, 2010 03:55 PM

Maybe because Catholics believe that Adam's sin is passed down through sinful sex/pregnancy. In order to reconcile their belief in original sin to Jesus being sinless, they had to make Mary perfect and sinless or Jesus would have been sinful for being born. But then you run into a problem with Jesus's "nature"...

:peace::peace:

Page : 1 2 3 4