Author Thread: Marijuana and Divorce
Admin

Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 12:57 PM

Now who woulda thunk I could have got those two words in a title? lol.

Ok, I didn't want to hijack twosparrows topic.

Earlier I posted in the Moral Standards category asking about marijuana use. My point, and no one seemed to refute it, is that it is not mentioned in the bible and would probably be a little difficult to make a case against it. Or at least you are going to have to use some indirect references and form a conceptual arguement.

Now Matthew 5:32 clearly states that unless for a case of marriage unfaithfulness, a person can not get remarried without commiting adultry.

So here is my observation. On marijuna use, people automatically gasp at the idea and say it is wrong without a clear forbidence in scripture. Yet in scripture, from a plan reading, it says remarriage is wrong, yet people find ways to formulate conceptual arguements to say it is ok to remarry.

I am not trying to cast legalism or burdens on anyone. I only hold my views about divorce for myself, and don't try to convince anyone else. And my point is not even really about marijuana or divorce. It is more about how in one area we go out of our way to say something is wrong and in another area go out of our way to say something is ok.

Just an observation. Your thoughts?

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 01:56 PM

Good point! I commented on the marijuana thread and I think this is a good point too. I think it is human nature to pick and choose the things we can get our heads around and those we can't. Pot is not bad because the Bible says so it is bad because people still believe the insane government reports about it that came out in the 50

s and 60's and all of those claims are now proven wrong, and, well, ridiculous.

So the church still preaches against something that has absolutely no basis and gives them a lie they can leverage in order to control the morality of their congregation. (Kind of like their fornication teachings) In the mean time they also continue to teach a twisted interpretation of the divorce "rules" in the first place and then continue to break their own stupid rules about it. If they would teach an open and honest Truth about the "rules" for divorce they wouldn't have this problem but because they hang on to some ancient and non Biblical teaching they continue to fight their own error.

I have wondered myself why in the world won't a pastor, when confronted with the Truth, change his teaching, advise his congregation of the error and teach the newly discovered Truth. "But then there is the congregation to deal with and they could become an angry mob that moves to another congregation and all of this would be lost and I'd be an unemployed pastor and unemployable because I stood for the Truth of the Word."

Thunder (the unknown radical reindeer)

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 03:17 PM

Yeah, I agree. Seems like people pick their soap boxes. There's lots of laws about alcohol, and tons of people die anyway. Marijuana is illegal and hardly anyone dies.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 04:56 PM

"It is more about how in one area we go out of our way to say something is wrong and in another area go out of our way to say something is ok."

Shawn, In the Bible we read of what Jesus says about divorce and have a guideline. As to marijuana, where the Bible 'appears to be silent', my thought is that if it "has you" or "controls you", then it's not good.

shepherdingking

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 18 Dec, 2010 05:32 PM

"Marijuana and Divorce"

What a great topic. Neither stand alone as right or wrong. Divorce and remarriage is not sin. And marijuana may be the least harmful anti-depressant available today. And divorced people usually have more than their share of anxiety to deal with. So Yeah, I'd prescribe Pot for victims of divorce.

:rocknroll: :ROFL:

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 05:16 PM

I can't believe you're serious about this, Shawn. Smoking pot being ok w/ God. Well, the Bible doesn't say we shouldn't snort crack and stab kittens in the belly, so maybe it's ok. 1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.--You certainly don't have a sound mind smoking pot, and there's a reason why it's called "dope."

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 05:48 PM

TruthSlinger, thank you for the reply and joining the conversation. But may I ask, did you even read my comments? As I stated, I have never smoked and do not plan to and I am not advocating it.

What I was doing was comparing something that is not mentioned in the bible that people say is wrong. Yet something that is very clearly mentioned (remarriage Matthew 5:32) people try to figure out ways around.

Now if you want to be critical of my position, please first go back and answer the logical questions I posted at the very beginning. Please show me where it is wrong. Your point about abstaining from the appearance of evil lays upon the assumption that smoking is wrong. If you go to a place like Holland, where it is legal, then there is no perceived evil to abstain from.

So please stop with the knee jerk reaction, read the comments, and use a little bit of reason. Thank you.

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 06:47 PM

@ slinger, I agree, this isn't about whether or not pot is ok with God. Take a deep breath, get down off your Holiness soap box and try again.

I would like to hear how it is that you think God is against smoking pot though. How about commenting on sparrows thread about it?

Thunder.

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 20 Dec, 2010 03:49 PM

Its not in the Bible that you should not smoke POT...But it an other Substances can be an usually are the cause of some failed marriages...I dont do drugs or drink an Its was this reason as well as others that go hand in hand with these choices of sinful nature that I am no longer married...I really dont care ifin people smoke or drink but its been my personal expierance that it disconnects people from reality, relationships an GOD...I found GOD/Jesus an my Husband found that ifin he smoked Pot & drank he could be more creative with his art...Thats oky doky...I jus cant relate to a Stoner...not my cup of tea an diffinatly un-equally yoked...GOD Bless ya all an hava a Merry Christmas an a Blessed New Year...xo

shepherdingking

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 11:37 AM

"All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything." 1Cor 6:12b.

'All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." 1Cor 6:12b.

The Greek word for witchcraft comes from the same root word for pharmacy. And the pharmacy business, legal and illegal, is full of side effects.

The witchcraft/drugs in pagan cultures are used to open one to the spirit world and invite in a spirit guide or deamon spirit. Going under the power of drugs or becoming evslaved by drugs is a type of bondage Christians should not tollerate.

But temporary use, for an illness is someting that God can use to accomplish His will. :rocknroll:

View Profile
History
Marijuana and Divorce
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 06:11 PM

Shawn,

you said "Earlier I posted in the Moral Standards category asking about marijuana use. My point, and no one seemed to refute it, is that it is not mentioned in the bible and would probably be a little difficult to make a case against it. Or at least you are going to have to use some indirect references and form a conceptual arguement."

I don't have a hard time refuting it. You're gonna have to answer whether it's ok to stab kitties since that's not mentioned in the Bible. And why stop w/ pot? How bout extending it to coke?

Is God ok w/ one doing something that would cloud their judgment? Romans 12:1 states we are to present our bodies a living sacrifice to God. Can we do this and have our minds altered by booze and bud?

People on marijuana lose depth perception and critical judgement earlier than those using alcohol. At the Texas Research Institute for Mental Sciences at Houston, experiments have shown that large doses of THC in laboratory animals have an effect very similar to LSD. So the apparent difference in danger between these two drugs would therefore seem to be only the difference in the amount commonly taken. Other experiments have shown that THC, when given to a pregnant monkey, can be found in the blood of the unborn baby. That is to say that the placentas, normally a barrier between the mother and the baby, will not stop the passage of THC in the blood stream of the offspring.

You that ponder if it's ok w/ God to smoke pot will have to give an account one day if one person starts up due to your questioning of the Bible and it's position on mind-altering drugs.

I'm calling america to repentance. For so-called Christians to get all in a tizzy about someone trying to uphold a biblical standard and warn others really shows how far in the can american Christianity has been flushed. Thanks for the advice thunder, but I'll continue to call all men to repentance.

Page : 1 2