Author Thread: "What is a carnal Christian?"
Admin

"What is a carnal Christian?"
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 10:18 AM

Can a true Christian be carnal? In answering this question, let�s first define the term �carnal.� The word �carnal� is translated from the Greek word sarkikos, which literally means �fleshly.� This descriptive word is seen in the context of Christians in 1 Corinthians 3:1-3. In this passage, the apostle Paul is addressing the readers as �brethren,� a term he uses almost exclusively to refer to other Christians; he then goes on to describe them as �carnal.� Therefore, we can conclude that Christians can be carnal. The Bible is absolutely clear that no one is sinless (1 John 1:8). Every time we sin, we are acting carnally.

The key thing to understand is that while a Christian can be, for a time, carnal, a true Christian will not remain carnal for a lifetime. Some have abused the idea of a �carnal Christian� by saying that it is possible for people to come to faith in Christ and then proceed to live the rest of their lives in a completely carnal manner, with no evidence of being born again or a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17). Such a concept is completely unbiblical. James 2 makes it abundantly clear that genuine faith will always result in good works. Ephesians 2:8-10 declares that while we are saved by grace alone through faith alone, that salvation will result in works. Can a Christian, in a time of failure and/or rebellion, appear to be carnal? Yes. Will a true Christian remain carnal? No.

Since eternal security is a fact of Scripture, even the carnal Christian is still saved. Salvation cannot be lost, because salvation is a gift of God that He will not take away (see John 10:28; Romans 8:37-39; 1 John 5:13). Even in 1 Corinthians 3:15, the carnal Christian is assured of salvation: �If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.� The question is not whether a person who claims to be a Christian but lives carnally has lost his salvation, but whether that person was truly saved in the first place (1 John 2:19).

Christians who become carnal in their behavior can expect God to lovingly discipline them (Hebrews 12:5-11) so they can be restored to close fellowship with Him and be trained to obey Him. God�s desire in saving us is that we would progressively grow closer to the image of Christ (Romans 12:1-2), becoming increasingly spiritual and decreasingly carnal, a process known as sanctification. Until we are delivered from our sinful flesh, there will be outbreaks of carnality. For a genuine believer in Christ, though, these outbreaks of carnality will be the exception, not the rule.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 11:44 AM

Great post! I can't think of anything left to add except a scripture, through experience I know is true:

Hebrews 12:16 "because the Lord disciplines those he loves...."

marikashome

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 11:48 AM

And how does He discipline us?

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 12:11 PM

Marikas

As much or as little is needed.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 12:18 PM

I would like to put the shoe on the other foot.

How to LOVE those we believe ae carnal.

I find a lot of Christians self righteous,and self centered about wanting to be Holy and sanctified.

They treat others,especially those that sin, as those that are sinning are less a believer then they are..

I have heard and seen this myself.

I believe we have outward carnality and inward carnality.

Outward we can see,yet the inward is more subtle.

Yeshua dealt with both of these.

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Just because we think 'Well,i don't do those things that others are doing' Yet one thinks in their about those very things other do.

Only we never will consider ourselves carnal.why?

Because we justify our thoughts by saying "At least i did not do the act'.

We are called to bear or carry one anothers burdens.Yet we are also told to be careful when doing this.

Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

Gal 6:3 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

George

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 01:37 PM

My only real comment is about how the post started off with "true Christian". It seems to keep coming up in these forums about "not a real Christian", "never was really saved" etc. I've been trying to formulate some thoughts around a post on this, but that is for later. I'll just say I think we start walking on pretty thin ice when we start judging others standing with God. Also per the 1 John 2:19, who is "they" refering to? Isn't it the "antichrists" in the preceding verse? So we are not even dealing with Christians to begin with in that verse are we?

MargoSolo

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 06:38 PM

:applause:

ncwestie

God can discipline in any way He wants to, through a loss of health, finances, whatever is in His wisdom and good pleasure to correct the child. The peace that comes afterwards, though, is an assurance that you are a child of God, (for whom does a father discipline but His own child), and the sanctification and result of that discipline. You are no longer the same.

"All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peacful fruit of righteousness." Heb. 12: 11

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 08:05 PM

NC,

Where is the website where this came from?

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Dec, 2010 09:18 PM

This post never answered the question and according to scripture it would qualify as carnal.

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2016 06:00 PM

1Cor. 3:3 For you are yet carnal/fleshly: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are you not carnal/fleshly, and live according to human standards?

3:4 For whenever anyone says, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are you not carnal/fleshly?

Good post. The context of I Cor. 3 is very specific as to the content of "carnality." Here it is division, jealousy, sectarianism and denominationalism. The church as a whole is guilty of some degree of carnality.

What answer does Paul give to this problem?

Who are Paul and Apollos? He says they are servants. The Corinthians came to faith through their service, even as the Lord gave to each one. They are simply tools in the hand of God. Paul says "I planted and Apollos watered, but(a word of strong contrast) God caused the increase." So then, the one who plants is nothing and the one who waters is nothing, But(the same strong contrast) God who causes the increase is everything.