Author Thread: What does this Scripture mean?
Admin

What does this Scripture mean?
Posted : 24 Dec, 2010 10:19 PM

Hello everyone:

I happen to be curious to see what others think the meaning of this Scripture might be.

1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Agape' and Charis:

St.George

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 01:07 AM

Interesting.... In the scripture you posted Paul refers to himself as the "chief sinner". Then in Phlp 3:5-6 Paul refers to himself as a "Hebrew of Hebrews" and "as for legalistic righteousness, faultless"

So can we then presume that the more faultless you are in legalistic righteousness the bigger sinner you are? Hmmm....

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 08:08 AM

Maybe because Paul at one time had Christians killed and thrown into jail he chose to make it clear that he is not to be exalted. maybe a humble spirit about Gods grace?

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 09:53 AM

that was good DG, I also agree with 2sp

bless you guys and Merry Christmas!!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 10:05 AM

@Everyone:

When Paul being led of the Holy Spirit says:

1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Who is the "I" in this scripture,Is it Paul?

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 11:02 AM

Ok Trucker, I'll play.

Who is the "I"? ...could he be referring to Saul?..probably. However he writes in the present tense. So could "chief" mean he is the 'head' of the sinners?....probably not the meaning Paul intended. The word "chief" besides meaning superior can mean foremost in time, place, or importance. Paul satisfies all of these in Saul as Dennis has already mentioned. And I merely brought out that he could do all these things and still be considered legalisticly faultless as to the law.

Trucker it appears you are trying to lead us down a rabbit trail of your choosing; we are going to need better bread crumbs.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 11:36 AM

@sparrow:

Most commentators say Paul was refering to himself as the 'chief of sinners'.

Rather the 'I' would refer to each and every individual as being the chief of sinners,as the Holy Spirit reveals this to each person..

The person who did not use drugs,drink booze,sleep around,they also did not get arrested for anything in this life.

Had a job for their entire life,obeyed their parents, helped others,sacrificed their lives for others,etc.

These also are called 'Chief of Sinners';seeing that Yeshua had to lay His life down for them,the same way He laid His life down for one such as myslef.

Only the Holy Spirit is able to reveal this to people,as He breaks them.

Yet there are some who believe Yeshua had gotten a good deal when they came around.

Agape' and Charis:

St.George 'Chief of Sinners'

Yet saved by Grace through faith in Yeshua.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 11:37 AM

I forgot this on the last post:

Grace runs downhill never up the mountain of pride:

And there is level ground at the cross.

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 12:05 PM

God loves humility...doesnt love pride

what do you think He feels about FALSE HUMILITY?

isnt that a form of pride too?

just askin

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 12:27 PM

Can't the "I" be whoever is reading/saying this faithful saying? Namely, every believer? Or, to cast a wider net, everyone Christ came to save?

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 01:48 PM

Wow, I just agreed with every thing that has been posted...imagine that!

Page : 1 2