Author Thread: The Mind:
Admin

The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 09:28 AM

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

W e are called to being transformed by the renewing of our 'Mind'.

The words 'Transformed' and 'Renewed are interesting Greek words,with interesting applications.

Transformed:

Greek3339

μεταμορφόω

metamorphoō

met-am-or-fo'-o

From G3326 and G3445; to transform (literally or figuratively �metamorphose�): - change, transfigure, transform.

From this Greek word we derive our Engilsh word 'Metamorphisis:

meta�mor�pho�sis noun ˌme-tə-ˈmȯr-fə-səs

plural meta�mor�pho�ses-ˌsēz

Definition of METAMORPHOSIS

1a : change of physical form, structure, or substance especially by supernatural means b : a striking alteration in appearance, character, or circumstances

2: a typically marked and more or less abrupt developmental change in the form or structure of an animal (as a butterfly or a frog) occurring subsequent to birth or hatching

See metamorphosis defined for English-language learners �

Examples of METAMORPHOSIS:

We have watched her metamorphosis from a shy schoolgirl into a self-confident businesswoman.

a company that has gone through a series of metamorphoses

The government has undergone political metamorphosis since his election.

the metamorphosis of tadpoles into frogs

The class learned about how caterpillars undergo metamorphosis to become butterflies.

Renewing:

Greek342

ἀνακαίνωσις

anakainōsis

an-ak-ah'ee-no-sis

From G341; renovation: - renewing

Do we not renovate homes,cars,and other daily items which we use.

Seeing the importance of being Transformed and Renewed,why are some in the body of Yeshua being told that the mind is not necessary in relationship with Yeshua.

How then are we to discern-prove-test-and try the will of GOD without using the mind,which YHWH has give to us to use.

Is there any place in the Scripture where we are told to forsake the use of our minds.

I have been to a few Evangelical fellowships where the people have been told,that the Word of GOD needs to make the 18 inch journey from ones mind down into the heart,

These men almost always point to the heart within their chest.

Yet is not this very heart the one the LORD says this about.

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Jer 17:10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

But the LORD does give us a new heart (spiritual).

Yet,why does He not give us a new mind,why are we called to be transformed,by the renewing of our mind.

Just somethings I have pondered over the years.

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 10:30 AM

Trucker,

Although our mind is to be transformed, we are given a new heart. (Not renewed, but 'new'!)

MargoSolo

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 10:58 AM

I agree with both.

In Psalms 51:10, David prays

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

The word �create� in this context is the Hebrew word �Bara�, which means to create out of nothing.(Stong�s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary, P. 45). It is used in the very first verse of the Bible, Genesis 1:1 in describing the creation of matter, heaven, earth, animals and man.

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 11:07 AM

No the heart is not deceitful, the mind and the flesh is

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 11:27 AM

Jeremiah 17:9 � The heart is deceitful above all things,...

PJ please explain this verse.

MargoSolo

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 12:04 PM

Mr. Row

You beat me to the post. I was going to ask PJ the same thing.

PJ?

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 12:57 PM

@sparrow:

Young man,i had posted about the 'New' heart.

And as Margo has stated this heart is something that was not there in the first place.

It is not a new heart numerically,but rather it is of one whose quality surpasses that of the first one.

Also in the Psalm 51:10,the Hebrew word for the English word renew is equivalant to the Greek for the English word renewed:

Hebrew2318

חדשׁ

châdash

khaw-dash'

A primitive root; to be new; causatively to rebuild: - renew, repair.

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 01:01 PM

Now that the believers mind is being renewed,in Romans 12:2 what is the purpose of being renewed in the mind.

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 01:23 PM

The mind and the heart serve different purposes; otherwise they'd be redundant.

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 01:36 PM

The mind and the heart serve different purposes;

OK explain.

If you are saying we think, have emotions & make decisions with our mind and our heart pumps blood through our body, I am in agreement. I don't believe our heart does any thinking. The heart is a metaphor about our core being, what is at the core is what drives us to be who we are.

I know the life is in the blood and our heart pumps life through our veins. I know when I am emotionally hurt I can feel the heaviness in my chest and I think something is going on down there but I am not ready to say the heart organ is what we make our life choices from. It is still all done in our brain.

MargoSolo

View Profile
History
The Mind:
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 01:53 PM

The Hebrew word for �heart� is �lev�- defined as � the feelings, the will and even he intellect, likewise for the center of anything. (The Lexical aides to the OT Key Word Study Bible, P. 1624, OT & Dictionary)

As Mr. Row indicated, is it a metaphor of all intentions of man. It refers to what is intermost to our being. What we say, do and think reflects what is in our hearts.

Without the Lord, we all reflect a heart that is evil and set apart from God.

Jeremiah 17:9: �The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked; who can know it?�

�� the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man." (Matt. 15: 18-19).

Those who have a pure heart that submits to the Holy Spirit reflect His Spirit and obey it.

Psalm 24: 4-5 states, �He who has clean hands and a pure heart, Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol, nor sworn deceitfully, He shall receive blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.�

Matthew 12:35: �A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.�

That is why we have to watch over it with deligence.

Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You. (Psalm 1:11)

Page : 1 2 3