Author Thread
PaulC

View Profile
Honest but messed up!
Posted : 2 Jan, 2012 07:40 PM

As Christians, we are believers in a Faith of reconciliation and redemption. As followers of Christ, we are called to look beyond another individual's past and focus on their present and walk with them toward their future. We all carry baggage. We all wear scars. We need to be loving and accepting of one another in order to be comfortable with and feel safe in being vulnerable with each other. It is through breaking down the walls that we've set up and removing our masks that we truly get to know each other and grow in our relationships with one another.

PaulC

View Profile
Are you a friend of God?
Posted : 2 Jan, 2012 07:35 PM

The Religious community that I am an aspirant in had a conversation on our discussion board a number of months ago about whether we were friends of Jesus or followers of Jesus. All of my Brothers and Sisters were making very well thought out, eloquent points with some spiritual backing. But all I could do with all honesty about how I feel was play the part of a child and say: "Can't I be both?"

PaulC

View Profile
Love on the internet?
Posted : 2 Jan, 2012 07:32 PM

To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical. But I figure it is at least a good opportunity to meet new people, have good conversation, and make some friends. If a relationship happens to develop out of it, that's a surprise bonus, I guess. I've met a couple of good friends from being on a dating website. I wouldn't say I've gotten any real dates out of it though.

And as the common thought on this discussion has been, it is hard. I did meet somebody on this website about a year ago who lives in another state. We had great conversations, talked on the phone and on Skype all the time, and started to develop some feelings for each other. But where does it really go from there? You can't even go on a first date when you live a state away (or further) from each other. I know people have somehow "dated" without ever meeting face-to-face for years and then eventually got together and got married. I guess I have a hard time conceptualizing how that works. The only opportunity for me and that one individual to be together would be if I ended up going to the one Episcopal seminary that happens to be in her town. That'd be kind of one of those God moment things. That's another thing that makes me ambivalent about dating girls in my area also. I have no idea where in this country I could be living this time next year. If I'm able to start school in the fall, it won't be in Michigan because there's no Episcopal seminary here. So whether face-to-face or online, dating always has its challenges. But that's part of the experience.

Page : 1 2