Author Thread
RetroMillennial^

View Profile
How about a section where people can learn how to read, study and translate the Scripture.
Posted : 11 Apr, 2020 06:55 AM

I don't take orders from you either, Quiznos. You hold no authority over me. I don't know you or your intentions. Maybe you came here to provide benevolent guidance, but this is not a classroom. It is not a Bible study, and it is not a repository of knowledge. It's a discussion forum that lets anyone using the site to weigh in with their opinions, and you won't score points by passing judgment on people you know nothing about or insulting them.

Foolishness, malicious intent, evil, deceit, bullying... None of these things have an age limit and they can be found anywhere, even and perhaps most especially on a freely accessible Christian forum. (Hence, my opinion that such teaching forums would be unwise on here.) I don't say these things to be mean. They are simply the realities of what it means to be on a free dating site forum.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
How about a section where people can learn how to read, study and translate the Scripture.
Posted : 10 Apr, 2020 08:45 PM

I trust God just fine. It's you that I don't trust.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
Posted : 10 Apr, 2020 08:41 PM

You need to work on reading and understanding what is written better. Everything I said was about not trusting people, especially strangers on a forum like yourself. Maybe I'm brainwashed and maybe I'm not, but one thing is certain: you're not going to be the one to do it. None of us has authority over anyone else.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
Posted : 10 Apr, 2020 08:09 PM

I think a forum of this type would be extraordinarily unwise. I agree there is too much focus on entertainment in many churches and often not enough training for the church's leadership, but this is not the place for a forum to try to teach anyone about the scriptures or how to study them.

No one here has any credentials, no resumés to tell if a "teacher" here is actually qualified to teach, and there's no way to know the motives of any who propose to be a teacher. We are all anonymous, and no one has authority to teach. We can't even be sure that such a teacher on here will even have our best interests at heart. Why should we reject guidance from our pastors only to put our trust in a perfect stranger on an online dating forum?

Our journey with God is far too precious to trust it to a total stranger, even a stranger who wants to teach people how to study it themselves, for even this can be twisted or hijacked on a free forum. All we can give is opinions and why we think we're right, but my opinion is worth just as much as anyone else's.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
Health issues
Posted : 10 Apr, 2020 07:40 PM

I'm afraid I'm on the fence on this one. Some of the diseases we get vaccinated for are devastating to their victims, but some seem like overkill. I know there was a study some time ago that suggested a connection between vaccines and autism. The author was discredited and the study was rejected, but I wonder sometimes if that was because there really was no evidence of a connection or if there was foul play.

As I understand it, there isn't much formal scientific study on vaccine injury right now, but there is a group that goes all over the US and maybe the world collecting thousands of anecdotal evidence of vaccine injuries. Some of them are quite severe, stories of children from the same household where one was vaccinated and the other was not. The ones who were not vaccinated were perfectly normal. The vaccinated children had learning and developmental challenges and were late to walk and talk, and had severe allergies and autoimmune conditions. I'm not a pediatrician, so I can't claim any expertise on this other than my limited research and experience with vaccines, but I am wondering why we're virtually forced to have children vaccinated so early in their lives? Would it be better to wait until they're slightly older and have a stronger immune system?

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
Men and Women: a false gender dichotomy of being rational and emotional
Posted : 8 Apr, 2020 02:33 PM

It's true, boys are taught in many cases that "men don't cry." If I may, I'd like to speak a little more generally about the way society views emotion and the way both boys and girls can grow up "emotional" or more "stoic."

This will obviously echo some of the previous posts, but if you look at the outcome of debates, typically the first person to "lose their cool," which has negative connotations on its own, is typically viewed as the loser in the debate.

Also, any child regardless of gender who learns from an early age that a showing of strong emotion gets them what they want, they'll typically carry that tendency into adulthood in some manner. Likewise, if being emotional does not produce the results they want, they tend to be more emotionally distant or subdued.

To illustrate my last point, I remember seeing a video a few years ago (may have gone viral?) where a mom was videotaping her toddler who was having a typical toddler crying fit "meltdown" in the middle of the living room. The mom backs out of the room to the kitchen. The crying stops and a moment later, the child looks for mom. When he finds her, he promptly throws himself on the floor, picking up his meltdown right where he left off. She does this two or three times in the video and each time he looks for her and once he finds her, he resumes his meltdown.

RetroMillennial^

View Profile
Joining Multiple dating sites
Posted : 8 Apr, 2020 09:22 AM

I join more than one dating site for the same reason I would attend multiple churches upon moving to a new community: I'm looking for something and I don't know which place (if any) will have what I'm looking for.

There's another reason, particularly for guys to join multiple sites. Although this may be the largest free Christian dating site, the pickings are still pretty slim for guys. Just as an example, I did a basic search for women in my state within my preferred age range. My only filters were state and age range. When I just count the number of profiles that were active in the last 24 hours, I counted 17 in my entire state and I'm not quite in the middle of nowhere. There may be more that have been recently active, but there's no way to know unless they have the yellow dot indicating they've been on in the last day. Compare that to the 51 profiles of men in my state that were active in the last 24 hours (plus me).

I was on here a few years ago and tried it in other regions for another forum thread, and for most places, that's how things broke down, but go ahead and try this in your own area and see if this holds true in other areas too. I'm sure there will be exceptions, but in most cases, this is the breakdown.

So, is it any wonder men get so many fewer responses to messages than women do? Is it any wonder that men may have to cast their line in multiple ponds just to get a "nibble?" In terms of total population, women actually outnumber men, so there should be plenty to go around, but it's not so on dating sites. Men almost have to cast their lines in multiple places just to have a chance.

Page : 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13